Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extreme heat in France

Ronin6th

Whereas it estimated around 500 last week, the recent statement comes about 10000 victims (no typing mistake!), supposed to be older people who couldn't stand the heat. emergency services are told to be crowded, the medical staffs showed in the news seem to be exhausted. They called former retired medics for backup.

The most disgusting, as I said to KC in an IM, is to see the politics trying to take the credit of it, the ones blaming the others for lowing Health budget, the other for reducing labour times in public services...

At least, our lovely president decided to show his face for a speech this morning...tan skinned...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarro

• Ronin6th

• SpaceyKC

• bigsteff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least, our lovely president decided to show his face for a speech this morning...tan skinned...

Oh, after everything else you've had to endure, and then that! sad.gif

(again, I'm really glad to know that you're okay Ronin) original.gif

I have a question. Is it common for people to not have air-conditioning in France? Is that one of the reasons why this heat wave has had such a major impact? I don't know what I do without my a/c. It is supposed to hit 100 degrees here today with a heat index pushing 110. cool.gif

Oh, probably in public offices and great firms...but it's rare in common housing, as some buildings are still old and not equiped.

hehe, i have a game i like to play. i see how long i can make it into the day before i turn on the air conditioner. i come home for lunch and its very hot in my apartment but i keep it off. then when sweat is pouring down my face, i give in and finally turn it on. it keeps me acclimated to the heat.

Personally I think this was an absolute bloody tragedy.

British sensibility is certainly completely ill-equipped to deal with temperatures of 37 degrees - not to say the medical establishment; air-conditioning is unknown in Britain, and I imagine it's the case in Northern France - because there's just no need for it; a heatwave of this magnitude is just inconceivable in Northern Europe, and no wonder.

My heart goes out to the French, it really does. I saw on the news just yesterday that 5000 dead was the latest estimate. This is a tragedy of immense proportions.

And with that in mind, I'm sorry Bizarro, but I think your post was crass and insensitive. Thousands of people have died here. Died. If anybody had posted anything so jovial and off-hand on your 'blackout' thread, you would have been up in arms - and quite rightly so.

So why post what you did? Senseless. Just senseless.

what? insensitive? i think you are misunderstanding me. for one thing, i live in a place that is hot all the damn time (im sweating right now) so i may not come across as being sensitive to people i don't understand but that is not my intention. i was just offering a bit of advice on how to acclimate yourself to the heat so that when it does get hot, you don't die(which incidently i was directing towards Americans with AC, not Ronin). people here die from the heat all the time! everyday. air conditioning takes away your ability to handle it if you are constantly indoors and never exposed to it.

sorry. i really didn't intend to make light of anything. i was just making a comment. maybe im just too accustomed to people dying in the heat like you were to blackouts when you laughed about our power outage.

it was in the chat, but that is beside the point. i will retract that statement altogether. i am just pointing out that you stated blackouts were common and not a big deal and made light of our making it a big deal.

my thing here is that in the US, when there is a heatwave, most of the people who die are old and have lived their whole lives out. technically, they died from the heatwave, but really they died because they are old and can't cope with stress like younger people can. its a tragedy, yes, but its also the cycle of life. this kind of thing happens all the time here, mostly its in the form of a raised number of deaths on hot days in the summer. my grandfathers both died in the summer. that is just life here. i was not being insensitive, i just didn't realize that kind of thing was such a tragic event because it is everyday life here. i am just guessing that the majority of those deaths were older people who have lived long otherwise content lives- i don't know this for sure, but i assumed. thus, i also assumed it was not a 'true' tragedy where people were cut down in their primes by some dastardly deed. if i was wrong, i apologize. i am sorry people died from the heat. i should have said so but i made an obtuse comment that was taken wrong. i am sorry for that.

OOPS SORRY I MISSED SOMETHING...BUT THE FRENCH ARE KNOWEN TO DRINK THEIR WINE...INCLUDING THE CHILDREN....NOW UNLESS I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS,,YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT...I'E....HEAT/WINE/DEATH...

*takes fingers out of ears*

Thank you for that Bigsteff, Capitals is shouting, SO DON'T DO IT please.

Bigsteff and Bizarro, it looks like you have offended people here, or are starting to, with them posts, please try to control it.

Thank You.

I can't believe anyone would take such a tragedy and be so callous

and cruel. crying.gif

It seems like it's not just the immature posters who post without

thinking!

I agree with the heat acclimation thing bizarro was talking about. I like to use the AC as little as possible, because you feel horrible when you step out of it. It always gave me the feeling of 'fake air' too. Sometimes it makes me feel sick.

(here is something for all the conspiracy theorists out there...maybe the US is making use of it's weather control system via chemtrails to alter the weather of France to get back at them for siding with them during the Iraq war...there how about that...i'm not serious by the way)

I call this thread a big case of Foot in Mouth, as what Bizarro said has been misinterpreted by many people, including myself at first, as being, well, nasty, what he actually meant was to be helpful, and in a way, try to lighten the mood of the thread. This kind of backfired.

Alarming fact...

We know that a lot of old people died because of the heat, that seems to have calmed down those recent days. If that is a way for nature to take her rights back isn't the question that worries me today...

According to the latest news it is said that several corpses are still waiting in morgues for relatives to recognize them and take care of, but either they lost contact with them, or their children don't care of them and prefer finishing their vacation time on the southern coast...

I think those recent events reflected one of our society's regrettable reality, the supremacy of individualism that causes the loss of social relationship, even inside the family, and the fact that a lot of old people finish their life in total loneliness, and finally question the principle of brotherhood.

sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hey ronin,i heard that the French Football Association actually gave the green lights to go ahead with thier La Championnat schedule,exactly at the same time when the blazing heat's busy hitting France.even the kick-off's were at noon fixtures,man i mean they should think of the players right?? 35-40 C,fooh,how are they gonna cope with the heat in the next few months? sad.gif

Whether we "test" ourselves to see how long we can take the heat before turning on the a/c is one thing but not having the choice is another.

This was tragic and maybe, just maybe this will prompt action so they are better prepared next time.

The weather of the world is going crazy. We're all experiencing changes in climate so now the task is to be prepared to cope.

huh.gif