Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

East Highland, CA - The Bethany House ?

ghosthunters111405

East Highland - The Bethany House - The Bethany House is an old abandoned Insane Asylum. Since it is far back in the orange groves, many teenagers used to use it as a place to party around the asylum but never inside. There have been many stories of hauntings there. One high school boy once went in to explore the asylum by himself & never came back out. A ghost of a middle-aged woman has been seen on numerous occasions. She is extremely violent & known to do harm to people that cross her path inside the insane asylum.

is this true? does anyone know how to get there? i guess its in east highland, CA

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

East Highland - The Bethany House - The Bethany House is an old abandoned Insane Asylum. Since it is far back in the orange groves, many teenagers used to use it as a place to party around the asylum but never inside. There have been many stories of hauntings there. One high school boy once went in to explore the asylum by himself & never came back out. A ghost of a middle-aged woman has been seen on numerous occasions. She is extremely violent & known to do harm to people that cross her path inside the insane asylum.

is this true? does anyone know how to get there? i guess its in east highland, CA

I have been searching for information also. I can't find it anywhere but on Shadowlands. Anyone know of it?

• Like 1

Never heard of it. Sounds like it would be great to learn more about it though. Welcome to UM Gwoman! Hope you enjoy your visits here!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

ACTUALLY ....

I kept my horses at a boarding stable just off Victoria in East Highland for years. I was VERY much into trail riding and would meander around in the foothills a lot. I recall a couple of instances of wandering across rather large buildings set way back in the hills.

One of them DID particularly look like a multi story hospital or hotel - made out of cement. It was abandoned and I never saw anything more than a dirt road leading up to it. It has easily been 20 years since I was back in that area but I do recall it being behind the first set of high hills to the West of Victoria. We would ride up the road past Patton Hospital and into the hills. At some point we would turn left and follow a series of trails and had come across it several times. There is actually a lot of 'flat' territory behind those hills. It would really surprise you.

Now I can't recall the Orange Grove thing as the groves have been dissappearing over the years. I do remember somewhere along the way there being a Eucalyptus grove. There was another place way to the east up beyond Shadow Hills Equestrian Center that sort of resembled an abandoned hotel or hospital. It was small, 2 story and made of crumbling cement. I imagine that all of the building up there, those places may not even exist anymore but I DO recall the two buildings so there is a very good possiblity one of them was 'it'.

We stayed away from both places as they were equally delapitaded and we didn't want to hurt the horses. If I had equine access to the hills and a few days to reaquaint myself I could probably find the one at the end of Victoria quite easily. I did not realize it was haunted other than the place gave me the willies whenever I got close to it. As a horse back rider, I learned quickly that you avoid structures that strange people may be hiding in. Especially in the East Highland area. ;)

• Like 1

Someone might try "google earthing" it.

I just checked it, and that area is very well photographed on Google Earth. It should be easy to find if you know what you are looking for.

Edited by JackalnChainz

• 3 years later...

Someone might try "google earthing" it.

I just checked it, and that area is very well photographed on Google Earth. It should be easy to find if you know what you are looking for.

34.079717, -117.117070

Just pop these coordinates into Google Earth, or even at maps.google.com. Bam. If anyone knows for a fact that this isn't it, feel free to let us all know. From what I can see, there's plenty of "ruins" that could account for a place purported to be the size of the fabled Bethany House... and one structure that still stands. I do intend to investigate this site.... when time permits.If there's any truth to this story, it should prove to be interesting. If there's none? At least it would have been investigated.

post-114551-0-43682900-1302080185_thumb.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a really cool place to check out

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A friend and I went out to the location that was listed above. It is most definitely not an insane asylum, but past that I can't say that I know what this could possibly be. It has three or four small isolation rooms, it has three or four large "pressure" chambers, a observation chamber, and a separate structure that used to be separated into four rooms. Lots and lots of tagging going on. Honestly, it was a very creepy place, but definitely not haunted, definitely not the Bethany House, if such a house exists. This place seemed much more like a cross between an auto-body shop and a loading dock, even though it most definitely is not either of these.

post-120780-0-18804400-1315466859_thumb.

post-120780-0-18091600-1315466899_thumb.

post-120780-0-08281000-1315466907_thumb.

post-120780-0-36987100-1315466915_thumb.

• Like 3

I've found in a lot of places across the U.S. that are hotspots for teens to go to for partying and getting spooks, there is often a reported insane asylum that simply doesn't exist. Think this is one of those cases.

• 3 months later...

Good work! Ran into one of those youths about a mile from the site. From what he understood, it's an abandoned military compound whet they tested things like jet fuel and the like. He was waiting for his friends... Wouldn't go in alone, even with his pellet gun. He stated that things have happened to him and his friends, and he won't go there alone. I am a little embarrassed. Sorry for the misinformation, everyone. Excellent photos! When I can get my team together, we'll her some serious investigating on! On a side note, there are myriad such locations, around here. Guess thirty years ago, no one thought people would live in this area... Keep hunting!

Oh, I love such places. Great photos. Are there more?

I would love to hear about The Bethany House if it does exist. There are a ton of abandoned insane/mental asylums. There's always a lot of tons regarding true and false buildings.

I heard of the Bethany House, a short drive from the currently-used Patton state hospital in San Bernardino, on a former Indian reservation. What was true is the house was used for treatment of mental illness and disabilities in a time when little was known in helping persons afflicted with them. Their souls still roam the place for justice for the acts done against them and consider the majority of state-run hospitals closed down their doors under state governor and later president Ronald Reagan back in the 1970s and 80s, due to partial disfavor with the general public on the inhumane treatment of the mentally ill and disabled in places such as the Willowbrook home (Cal. or NY, I forgot which, but both towns had infamous state institutions).

I did a bit of research yesterday before leaving work and I found a site where someone claims to have been a patient there in the early 90s. Not sure how possible this is, but the person indicated it was called Bethlehem House when they were supposedly there. Might want to look up that as an alternative.

At the same time, though, there are plenty who think this is a made up urban legend.

I grew up in that area and while the name seems familiar for some reason I don't really recall anything about this and I spent a lot of time goofing off in the orange groves and other abandoned places. Not saying this isn't real, just that I don't recall hearing about it or seeing it. I was a bit surprised when I say this thread. Don't usually see stuff in any area I have lived. I am in Idaho now and haven't been back there in quite a few years. Unfortunately my memory is poor due to MS, but love reading about something so close to where I grew up.

Edit: I just realized I joined this site in '07 yet just now have my first post. Talk about being a major lurker! :ph34r:

Edited by Bruin26
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just to put this to rest, the Bethlehem House in Highland was a real place. The address is 29803 Canal Street, Highland, CA. I pulled the deed to the property and it belonged to the Archbishop of the Catholic Church dba The Bethlehem House, which was a battered women's shelter, until 1995 when it sold to a private party. Was it an insane asylum? Who knows. Given its institutional build and age, it was possibly a tuberculosis sanitarium as there were many in the area.

29803 CANAL ST

• Like 1

Sounds like the typical teenage urban legend stuff to me.

More about getting high and getting tail than the paranormal.

• 2 years later...
On 9/29/2007 at 5:51 PM, GoldenGirl said:

ACTUALLY ....

I kept my horses at a boarding stable just off Victoria in East Highland for years. I was VERY much into trail riding and would meander around in the foothills a lot. I recall a couple of instances of wandering across rather large buildings set way back in the hills.

One of them DID particularly look like a multi story hospital or hotel - made out of cement. It was abandoned and I never saw anything more than a dirt road leading up to it. It has easily been 20 years since I was back in that area but I do recall it being behind the first set of high hills to the West of Victoria. We would ride up the road past Patton Hospital and into the hills. At some point we would turn left and follow a series of trails and had come across it several times. There is actually a lot of 'flat' territory behind those hills. It would really surprise you.

Now I can't recall the Orange Grove thing as the groves have been dissappearing over the years. I do remember somewhere along the way there being a Eucalyptus grove. There was another place way to the east up beyond Shadow Hills Equestrian Center that sort of resembled an abandoned hotel or hospital. It was small, 2 story and made of crumbling cement. I imagine that all of the building up there, those places may not even exist anymore but I DO recall the two buildings so there is a very good possiblity one of them was 'it'.

We stayed away from both places as they were equally delapitaded and we didn't want to hurt the horses. If I had equine access to the hills and a few days to reaquaint myself I could probably find the one at the end of Victoria quite easily. I did not realize it was haunted other than the place gave me the willies whenever I got close to it. As a horse back rider, I learned quickly that you avoid structures that strange people may be hiding in. Especially in the East Highland area. ;)would you like to explore all of the area back there with live video feed like a TV show 

• 1 month later...

There is some confusion with the original story.  There was a place in East Highland it was a battered womens shelter called the Bethlehem house.  That was a two story house very large but those pictures someone posted are from the old Lockheed Munitions plant on the boarder of East Highland and Redlands which is no longer there just what you see in those pictures.  The buildings above the horse trail are from the older parts of Patton State Hospital which is a hospital for the criminally insane.  It has been there since the late 1800's and that is the insane asylum that is in the original story.  Who ever wrote this took parts of 3 places and either got them confused when researching it out or made it up on purpose for attention.  Either way there wrong.  Here is a link about the Bethlehem house http://www.nonprofitfacts.com/CA/Bethlehem-House-Project-Inc.html  and here is a picture of the house on Canal St in East Highland

The San Bernardino County Sun from San Bernardino  California on November 6  1988  middot  Page 173.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Some more information on this subject 

#1 is 1500 Crafton Avenue, Mentone, California. Lockheed Rocket Motor Production Plant Abandoned Site

#2 is 29803 Canal Street in Highland,Ca is the Bethlehem House for Battered Women

#3 We were unable to find this Bethany House in East Highland,Ca. What we did find is Bethany House, which is on the grounds of Holy Cross in Northeast Minneapolis, Minnesota. Which is a former convent . Bethany House a ‘retreat’ for women discerning consecrated life.

Only on UM will you find a thread of such magnificence. The timeline, along with the random nature of the new account making the particular, odd necro-quote and Rashore's response, was amazing. This was only to be topped by the two following posts. Months between each of them, from another new account seemingly made just to answer the original poster who hasn't been back since...

...that's a level of dedication to the subject matter you rarely find elsewhere, even if it's a little obsessive to say the least!