Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth Webcam Catches Mars Rotation

Starlyte

Explanation: Mars won't look this good. Tonight and over the next few days, when Mars is at its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years, you might get your best view ever of our planetary neighbor. Please, though, don't expect to see this much structure, or expect to see Mars rotate so much in so brief a period. The above 20-frame movie was created from 1000 frames of a backyard webcam that were meticulously aligned, added, and digitally sequenced. Pictured, Mars appears to rotate in a time-lapse sequence, with each frame separated by 30 minutes of real time. In reality, one full Martian rotation -- a Martian day -- is only about 40 minutes longer than an Earth day. For those with access to a small telescope, here is how mars will really look.

Article LINK

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loganXman

• neen

• Starlyte

• connecian

Top Posters In This Topic

Starlyte... Thanks so much. that is so great. I can not wait to see mars tonight!!! What a wonderful experience for us to be able to have

Thank you Starlyte , hopefully we will get to take the kids to the observatory tommorow night .

Thanks for the link.

I can see Mars from my room as I type. It's like a twinkling little ruby in the sky. eyecrazy.gif

Thank you for posting that Starlyte, truly a beautiful sight to behold. Even with the naked eye Mars is indeed beautiful as I look up at it from my back yard.