Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ochil Hills Hospital

Mickey

I cant believe how many folk have actually seen this place. I live in nearby Kinross and just thought id leave you some info on the place. I spoke to an old lady a while back who used to be a secretary at the hospital before it closed. I saw some pics of the place and the surrounding gardens, really nice.

The building was a TB sanitorium and closed not that long ago (1982 roughly). It was used to house people with the uncurable disease, to give them a nice place to enjoy the remainder of their lives. It was bought by an Arab who wished to turn it into and old folks home. He renovated the roof with lead sheets. This was in the time where lead was expensive and van loads of it were stolen. The rain got in and the whole building went downhill from there.

The hospital was self sufficient with its own power, water and sewage. Not much remains up there now, recently the boilers for the heating have been taken away. There was never any refrigerators for the dead. The nurses accommodation was in the basement. There are three extra wards out to the left as well as a small dwelling. Also through the trees to the right are two gardeners sheds that still contain old items of technology.

The land has now been sold with planning permission and a new estate could be around in the near future. If you still want to experience the freaky place you better go soon cos i dont reckon it'll be round for much longer. If your going up in a car make sure its a ****e one cos the roads pish. Hope thats answered any questions you may have had. MITCH

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeyonamoped

• AlloaPosse

• mhenson

• piana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great story, and scary !!! me and the Mrs are going to europe in june for 2 months and it includes 2 weeks in Scotland, i have to look up this place, i love nothing better then going to haunted places...LOVE IT thumbsup.gif

I'm posting this for: kid_nymphuk, since he accidently used the "Report" button, instead of the "Add Reply" one. *

hey there, been up at the hospital a few times. some info 4 everyone. we got talking to the people that live in the house u pass on ur way up. it was built in 1900 and was used as a tb hospital, then in 1962 it changed to a home. then it 1987 they couldn't afford to run the place so it got shut. everything was left as u can imagine it was all old stuff which wouldn't b any use 2 any1. it was never a mental hospital.

my friends went up one night and the gates were shut so they got out the car and then a amn appeared telling them to **** off and it was private land and he was fed up with all the cars going up and hearing screamin. the next night they went up the gates were open so they went up but on the way back down the man was standing at the gate but they never stopped. obviously a farmer or sumthin thats no too happy bout every1 goin up 4 a scare. not been back up since that happend. other people we know who went up said that the gate got locked while they were up there so had to get someone to come up with a hammer to break it open. thats why im 2 scared 2 go back up!

*) So, kid_nymphuk, when you want to post, make sure to hit the "Add Reply" button, at the bottom of each thread. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Last night after hunting for another disused 'mental hospital' we decided to make our way to ochil hills because we had heard about it and my boyfriend had said he had seen it from the motorway, but did not know exactly how to get to it. so eventually we asked some young guyz in milnathort and hey presto we got decent directions. so the two cars of us (6 people in total) made our way up.

i dont think any of us had expected to come across anything as tremendously huge as what faced us as we turned the corner.

this place is massive, and dont think that any pics u may c quite prepare u for it.

we pulled up and two other car loads of youngsters were up there having a laugh, we parked outside the main front door, which has no floor just beyond the entrance, but does have the letters OHS in mozaic tiles on the floor, which is how we found this site, clever deduction eh?

then 2 of our gang dissappeared into the building and up to higher levels which was no simple task may i tell you.

then the other four of us decided to go a walk round the front, and thats when the true size of the place finally hit us, it just goes on and on

we found a doorway and went in and had a look around, and found the old bathrooms and some wards which were not really scary but interesting. then we had a walk about but could not go far the floor is too wrecked.

so we went back outside and had a look around there, looking in windows and stuff that still had beds and some equip in them.

we got to the end of the building, where the turret is in any pics u may see and after we turned the corner to the back of the building we found the kitchen and a metal fire escape which the two wild ones in our gang and one of the girls decided to climb up, they had a nose around then joined me who was waiting by myself because the two others had went back to the cars to check on them.

then we found a cellar which we went down into and a stair case we went up which someone had left t-lights on but some were new so i lit them but the last one was still wet and runny and had been lit, but it was -5 and should have hardened because there had been no one near us for ages and the other car loads were in there cars for ages before hand... spooky

anyway one of the guys froze before going into the cellar, he later told us he has seen part of a foot in the shadows down the cellar, but did not want to mention it at the time, that was just under where i had found the candles...

we then looked in the boiler room and under the big chimney, not used for burning bodies as i believe the roumer goes, all part of a incinerator, boiler system to heat the hospital.

we then went around a bit further and had a look in the kitchens properly then went back to the car.

that however was not the end of our trip, our two fearless explorers went off again then phoned us to come c what they had found, some huts further up for cold treatment, interesting and in my opinion the scaryest part of the visit, now im not claiming to be psycic but i have had my moments, but walking up that path had me feeling very uneasy, especially walking back down past the mysterious cable...

we had another scout about then went home very satisfied, over two hours of fun for only two caeries....

anyone who says... it was far too scary to go in... has hyped themselves up too much, next time do what we did, go in a group, make sure everyone has a torch, a phone and someone by there side and u will be guarenteed a good time.

WARNING its not safe so dont all huddle in a group cos the floor will cave in, and finally wrap up warm, take spare batteries and dont wear high heels like a certain member of my gang...

happy ghost busting guys

p.s. were sooooooo going back, apparently there is a morgue, a hut, another cellar and tons more cool stuff so if u c us up there say hi, we dont bite... usually ph34r.gif

me and my pals r going back soon, anyone who is in to this wanna go on the same night?

there will be about 10 of us, enough for a good night!

so if ur up for it, mail me

amby ph34r.gif

• 2 weeks later...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

All the links from this thread are now dead, just wondering if anyone has the internal pics??? original.gif

Also anyone got any ideas as to when its being pulled down?

Cheers grin2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hey! cool.gif

I havent been up yet, but i am definately planning on going for sure.....

I have some info, i thought id add cus my mum's a nurse n knows all about tb.

she said that people would be treated for tb till the 50s by being given lots of insulin, having electric shock treatment and being given freeze treatment (yea, people did get put in cold rooms like at the huts??) and i found a load of info on how they treated people with tb and it reffers to orich hills too... wink2.gif

I dont think orich hills will be sold as it is a listed building (meaning, it is a historical building so it has to be kept up for historical refference and so on)

I hope this has helped in anyway, if ya have any questions that needs a medical mind rolleyes.gif just ask n al reply soon

go HERE

or add me to msn messenger on fsgroupie@hotmail.com

BYE! XXX thumbsup.gif

Has anyone ever stayed at the converted church thats about 10 miles outside lochgoilhead with the BB (Boys Brigade)?.

It has weirdest graveyard ive ever seen. I was only 10 when we stayed there so iguess that had somethin to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

All i have to say is WOW go back there with a brave large group of people and get evidence in every form you can! ohmy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

yes it has burned down...and i know who did it. my 'friend' disgust.gif told me that his sisters boyfriend set the place on fire, obviously i was furious at him because i had never seen it and now i never will get to see it. i;'ve seen pictures of the hospital and it looked absolutley gorgeous. so you can all say thank you to him for doing it, i dont know his name, but he thought it was cool and funny to do it. mad.gifpo.gif well i hope he's happy because not only has he ruined it for himself , he's ruined it for all of us!! i just thought i'd let you all know. Ochil Saniatrium was a beautiful hospital, my dad is a minitser and he was in it in the 80's visiting, just before it closed down.unfortunatly he has no photos of it but he does have documents from the hospital though. i doubt they'd be worth anything but he has files on someof the patients. he has like 2 files, thats it. but they make interesting reading if anyone wants to contact me about the files ONLY, please dont email me with abuse as it wasnt me who torched the place, but as i said if you want to know anything about the hospital ask me coz dad knew that place like the back of his hand.

take care everyone,

Clark

hey peeps,grin2.gif i was thinking, wouldnt it be cool if they made a new ochil? with the original plans for the hospital and made it EXACTLY the way it was? ochil was a landmark outside milnathort, they could have restored it if someone hadnt have burned the place down. i think it would be dead cool to build a new Ochill Hills Sanitarium! thumbup.gif