Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ochil Hills Hospital

Mickey

ooooh, I have got to ask you, clark kent...who are you really? laugh.gif

sorry, I just had to ask. grin2.gif

btw, welcome to the forum. wavey.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkeyonamoped

• AlloaPosse

• mhenson

• mikey276

ahh.....thats the secret, i'll tell you when you find my 'S'.i'm glad to be a part of the group!!take care xx

right just did some research and found out that my gran was right ochil hills was used to house people with tb in the 1950s but before this it was known as ochil hills sanatorium for thos ewith mental health problems. will add more as i find more out!

Just for the record, in the late 1800's Sanatorium was a general phrase (at least here in the US,) used to describe what we today would call "Health Camps."

Essentially peoplw who were or thought they were ill would go to these places to get well. It was usually an extended visit of several months and presided over by a doctor who was usually practising the latest in kook medical science. If you've ever seen the movie, or read the book "Road to Wellville," that's exactly what they were.

There are at least four of these types of places within 100 miles of me, all of them have "haunted" stories. Two are currently owned by the same company and have been turned into Hotels, McMenamins Grand Hotel, and Edgefield Brewery, are the two locations.

Another one did actually serve as a mental hospital during the 60's, and currently serves as offices to whoever will rent them. (About 50% of the building is rented. so the stories and going on's might not be that bad.)

The 4th burned clean to the ground in the 50's under "mysterious" circumstances. But it was by far the most haunted of them all apparently.

BTW - the smoke stack you saw, was probally a coal plant. There are still a few around here still, they were used to produce electricity and heat for that paticular building. Pretty critical for a hospital, especially one as big as that to need it's own power supply, especially when it's far from a large city. (Which was very common back in the day.)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I have done a bit of research on this place as i was due to do some filming up there. The fire had nothing to do with it being torn down it only helped the process along a bit. The council has had plans to knock it down for a while now and have sold the plot of land to a housing development company.

Would anyone in their right mind want to live there!!!

I found the place quite scary and when we got home and downlaoded our photographs approx 25% had orbs in them, from research into the subject the conditions we had whilst up there was perfect for ghost spotting.

Will attach them soon so you can all see!!

I am really gutted the place has been torn down as it is a really spooky place. I really wish so many stupid kids had wrecked it so much because there were parts i didnt get to despite making it up to the third floor and being able to get over to the windows, no easy task i can tell you!

It would have been great to see the building in all its spendour as it was an amazing building, no such luck now!!

Orby

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
hey peeps,grin2.gif i was thinking, wouldnt it be cool if they made a new ochil? with the original plans for the hospital and made it EXACTLY the way it was? ochil was a landmark outside milnathort, they could have restored it if someone hadnt have burned the place down. i think it would be dead cool to build a new Ochill Hills Sanitarium!  thumbup.gif

115235[/snapback]

No, it wouldn't. Why? Because Ochil Hills Hospital (OHH) is old school. You can't replicate that.

Anyway. I first visited OHH in 1998. I was 14 then. It was everything that has been described in this thread. It was exciting, scary, fun etc.

I remember the first time I went up, it had been graffiti'd etc, but it wasn't THAT bad.

The last time I visited was in 1999, I think that was when the main entrance was burnt up.

It used to be a bit sacred, almost unknown...only known to a select few...well thats what we used to think.

I've been everywhere in the hospital. The best place without a doubt (and not been mentioned!!!) is the ROOF. On a lovely summers day you can see for miles...just watch you don't trip! Another great part is just before you go to the roof there is a room FILLED with signatures etc...great reading them from the 80's/90's etc.

I used to go up with 2 friends, of whom I don't speak to anymore...and probably never will. It was great fun, we used to buy cheap lighters at the market and go burn stuff up at the hospital and p*** about (all for fun of course).

I live in Kinross, roughly less than 2 miles away from the hospital. If anyone wants directions, i can give you them...there is a few ways you can get to the hospital. I recommend you park your car at the bottom of the gate and walk upto the hospital (yes walk you lazy ****). I would suggest if you can is park in Kinross/Milnathort and cycle up on a nice warm day.

UPDATE : I visited the site. The Hospital has been demolished...all that remains is a large pile of rubble.

Some info

Was closed in 1987 : http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic...Writtens-4.html

Bought for £500 K in 2001 : http://www.chesterton.co.uk/upload/2113.DOC

"12th August 2004 From Muddy Track to Country Walk at Milnathort

The Lucky Lane multi-user route was formally opened on Wednesday 11th August by Bob Ellis, Chairman of the Countryside Trust. An old access track from the former Ochil Hills Hospital at Tillyrie to Stronachie Road at Meikle Seggie, Lucky Lane is the latest initiative from TRACKS, the Rural Access Committee of Kinross-shire. "

http://www.pkct.org/PKCT_news.asp

And amazinly NOTHING states that the hospital has been demolished...No where, I've been researching.

Edited by Kismit

• 6 months later...

Ok, while searching for information on the Ochil hospitals, i found this topic. I realise it has been a while since it was first posted and perhaps no one posts in it anymore, i would just like to share my experience of visiting.

I went with my Dad a year and a half or so ago, we had first been the night before, however it was far too dark to explore it then. So i came back the next morning. While walking around the place i must say i felt the exact same way as the topic creator, I felt shivery.

One second i would be walking around, then suddenly the temperature would drop, and it would become very cold, then ten seconds later it was fine again. This was a warm day as well, so i dont know whether there was some ghostly presence or something.

I also felt the exact same way when going down into the basement part that was underground, which i presumed would be the mortuary. The temperature down there was unbelievably freezing, and i didnt want to go down into it any further.

If anyone wants to give me some information on this place, plus tell me of their experiences, email me at fall_of_the_grey_winged_one@hotmail.com. Or add me to MSN messenger.

I would really like to discuss this place with people who have also been there. I wish that they did not demolish this place, i would really like to visit it again. Does anyone know if those huts the topic creator described are still there, i want to go and investigate the area again. And if anyone has any photographs of the hospital i would very much like to see them.

Oh well thanks alot:)

Well now,I know it's rude to bump into someone else's thread,but since the hospital is gone and will never be perfectly replaced...

Perhaps someone will be interested in hearing about the strange place that I live near??

I'm not saying it now,'cause I wanna make sure someone will be interested.I won't keep it in this thread,maybe I'll make one for it or email someone.

I will say there's been alot of pain here...you don't even have to be right next to the enterance to feel the anger of the other spirit,either.

So many...so many...

• 10 months later...

hi all

i have also been to ochil hills hopital as i live about 10 miles from it. I wouldn't know it was there as no one talks about it but i met a guy at college who took me up there. I wasn't interested at first but then a year later i wanted to research it. I looked on the internet for hours looking for at least one thing about it and then I did. It was a doctors report on a patient who was at the hospital, as it was a sanitation for people wh had TB.

After I knew this i visited it regulary, with my friends and eventually had the courage to go down to the basement. I think this was the scariest time of my life. It was full of boilers and old machinery, we only had one torch and had the feeling that someone was behind us. Then as we were coming in to the light at the other side we say a small door, which looked like a cupboard. I decieded to open it. I looked one way and it was a long thin corrider, with insulation all around it and then I looked the other way and it was the same, it went on for what looked like miles and thats when my heart nearly stopped. Because these two corriders where underneath the house I thought that everytime I turned my head something was behind me. If anyone else has been down there and went underneath please tell me, because I would never do it

The furthest I have been up is the second floor. The way i went up is if you went in the back you were in a room with a hospiatl bed and through the corrider you found stairs. As I went up I got more and more scared that the floor was going to fall through. I could only get into one room on the second floor and that was the toilet wgere you had a view of the big boiler on the left.

:devil:

In one of the room we foung an old piece of paper entitled 'how to tie your shoelaces' with step by step instructions, but I think someone planked it there to be wide.

One weekend a group of us decided to camp there. This was only after weeks of visits to familiarise ourselves with the place. The only thing that made this night scary was the other people who came at two in the morning. I have been to this place hundreds of times and knew that on the second floor it is impossible to get to the other side of the building. But these 'visitors' were all in the end room with their torches blaring out of the window. That was it for us as we were too scared and decided to go home.

Hi there everyone!

Me and my friends had JUST heard about this hospital last week so we decided to go up tonight, only to get a phone call from a friend saying it had been knocked down. So we were just wondering if anyone else knew of any deserted scary places we could go in Scotland (FIFE preferably!) Lol. We're fae Glenrothes so so anywhere near here would be great! Thanx.

Luv Claire

x

• 5 months later...

Thread REVIVED!

Guess what happens to people who post like this???

[attachmentid=28127]

:P

post-16552-1157636993.gif

Guess what happens to people who post like this???

[attachmentid=28127]

:P

LOL :lol: . This was a great thread, so BANG! I revived it. :P

I have this really strong need to say something about the people that died at that hospital.

There are so many of you ghost seekers that have been there. Could you possibly get together, or at least some of you, and maybe have some kind of a ceremony or something to acknowledge the people that died there, and what they went through? Maybe this could put some of the spirits to rest. I feel like they would want people to know what happened to them, because they were important human beings like all of us. It feels like they were just discarded and need to be acknowledged, and given some love to peacefully move on.

I'm in the USA, or I would help with it. If you need help with the words, or anything, I can help you with that.

I remember this thread :yes: I think it was the first thread I ever read on here being a scottish place.

• 3 weeks later...

Both are great stories. If there is a next time take some pictures. Would be neat just to see the different things that you are describing! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...

Both are great stories. If there is a next time take some pictures. Would be neat just to see the different things that you are describing! Thanks for sharing.

Hey folks, found this on the site and thought i would post something. Visited Ochil Hospital with my ex and some of her friends in June 2003. One of the people there was able to contact the spirits (dont know exactly what that is called, sorry, maybe a spirit medium?).

Anyway, beautiful summers night, we parked at the bottom of the hill and walked up the pot hole road. First impressions of the Hospital were that it was so beautiful, but had been badly damaged by vandals. Took a walk around the place and managed to get up to the 2nd floor. However the spiritualist advised us to leave the room we went into pretty quickly as there was an angry spirit in there. Tried to get further into the building but the floors were pretty much gone, did notice some mattresses were piled up over the holes, but too risky to go any further.

We did take a walk around the outside of the building and had a look at the small sheds. On our way back to the front we walked past the boiler house. There was a loud bang as something unseen kicked or hit one of the boilers. That was pretty scary especially as we were advised not to go up there.

We went back into the front of the building and downstairs into the underground bit, unsure what this was. Did feel a cold presence down one half of my body and was told something was next to me, but not to be afraid.

After this we carried out a seance in one of the rooms (in the side door, head straight forward and before you turned right at the staircase, there was a room which was pretty well sealed). Carried out the seance in there, from nowhere an extremely cold wind started swirling around us. I had been sceptical until then, but not anymore.

Left about midnight and walked back down the road, scariest part of the night as we were chased by a farmer who didnt like being woken up all the time.

Just thought i would share this with you all.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Dont know if anyone can help,

I am in the process of building a website and looking for information on the Ochil Hills Sanatorium.

I have been up to the site, before and after the demolition and have some photo’s of the derelict building.

If anyone has any information, photos or videos that I can use, can you please get in contact with me?

Email address Callum_Kinnes@Hotmail.Com

• 3 months later...

God, what a blast from the past.

I was up there a couple of times in 96-97 with a few friends.

We always went up during the day time when we had half days off from college.

Both times I was there the main gate was closed and we walked up the drive past the wee hut that some have mentioned.

The route we took was on a path around the small pond then up to the front of the building.

The times we were there we were able to get all over the building without too much trouble.

There were only a few areas in which the floor had caved in at that time. Although the place was partly vandalised, all the windows had been smashed in and the lower ones were boarded up but the insides were starting to look the worse for wear, mostly due to the weather I suppose.

We were able to take the stairs right up to the attic and saw the water storage tanks and the lift control room that sat right above the lift shaft.

Was easy to get down to the basement, but I don't remember a second one. The one we got to by going through a door and down a narrow staircase that came out next to the basment lift door.

I remember part of the basement being a very long thin almost tunnel that must have run most of the length of the building.

For those that have seen the pics of the front of the building, I have stood in the window thats right at the top between the two mini tower turrets, as I'm sure many of you lot have too.

We also found the kitchen area with all the old massive mass cooking things. Never seen the like before, or since.

Also found what I assume was the fuel tank room. Had 2 massive steel tanks in it IIRC.

We also went into one of the hut wards that were off to the right of the main building and were also in the small 2 bed cottage at the very end of the site.

The last time I was there with just one friend and we got caught by the caretakers. They chased us all over the building and after they had given us a verbal kicking we left but they called the rozzers and both of us ended up being charged with being there with intention to steal. At the time I couldn't even think what could be sold but I now know the value of scrap metal so it makes it obvious now.

Sad to hear the place burned to the ground because of some ****. Would have been great to see the place refurbished to its former glory.

I couldn't help out for information, but I had heard of a hospital with that name once before! Spooky that you explored it! I would have LOVED to go.

...Then again, I would be trying to do EVP work and p***-off the spirits... and end up getting hurt again. :whistle:

I think I heard the people there really were mistreated, but I'm not sure. Very interesting experience, though! I wonder what the ashes were...?

• 1 month later...

God, I have to revive this... the only picture links still working are ones of the outside of the hospital, and there's like five. I want to see the pics all the people promised they'd posted, and updated reports and such even though it's been burned down. I am half an hour late for my study group because of this thread! xD

• 7 months later...

Now I know noone has used this forum for AGES, but if anyone ever logs back on, then I was up last night with my boyfriend trying to find tha pile of rubble that once was the hospital (we're from kinross) we went up this **** scary road to a place called AthronHall. Brian freaked out and we turned around cause it was dark and rainy and horrorfilm ish...... so....was that the right way up??? has anyone been up lately?? does anyone have any pictures still??

email me:

ginz_70@hotmail.com

xxx

Can't believe ppl burned this place down!! I only found out about it couple of months ago & wud luv'd 2 have sn it!! Seen sum pics n looks well kl! tried 2 find it 1 nyt but went the wrong way. i've heard it still feels scary tho even tho the buildin is no longer thr! I'm stayin in the Crook of Devon which is about 3 miles away! Does any1 no of any otha "scary" places close by? lol don't no y am so interested in Ochil Hills Hospital tho?? Somethin about it.................

Any1 got any pics or vids? (Seems like this topic is long dead but any1 still ere please reply)

xXx