Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Media Demonizing the Video Game Industry?

AztecInca

Debate suggestion by UniversalParadox.

Is the media demonizing the video game industry excessively?

We are looking for one participant to debate that the media is demonizing the video-game industry excessively and one participant to debate that the media is not demonizing the video-game industry excessively.

This will be a 1v1 formal debate.

An Introduction, 5 bodily posts and a conclusion from each participant. No Flaming, bad manners or profantities will be tolerated.

There is a point deduction for debaters who fail to make a post within the 7 day time frame. The deductions will be 2 points for every day the participant fails to post after the 7 days.

This is to ensure that debates continue in a timely fashion. If for any reason you cannot post within the 7 days, please ensure that you let myself or Lottie know to avoid having the points taken off your debate.

If, however the participant does not then attempt to make a post for up to 2 weeks after the 7 day rule has started an immediate disqualification will occur.

Good luck!

Aztec.

Edited by Lottie

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AztecInca

• itsjustadeer

• Master of Geeks

Id shall like to be the person whos says the media is demonizing the VG industry

Master of Geeks you had to pull out of your last debate becuase of unavailability issues. Please pm me so we can assert that you will be able to complete this debate.

Master of Geeks has assured me that he will be able to start and complete this debate.

So we are now looking for one participant to debate that the media is not demonizing the video-game industry excessively.

Thank-you itsjustadeer.

Master of Geeks will be debating that the media is demonizing the video-game industry excessively.

itsjustadeer will be debating that the media is not demonizing the video-game industry excessively.

Any questions or problems please pm myself or Lottie.

Good luck!

This is my Introduction.

My argument is short, really. With the release of next gen hardware by both Nvidia, and ATI, Sony and Microsoft were there to eat both technologies up like flapjacks. The medias portrayal of the video game industry as a whole is if anything, devoted to making video games a part of pop culture. With-in the releasing of Lord of the Rings, King Kong, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider franchises, people have come to realise video games will be a part of our future. The interaction aspect of video games is cross breeding with the drama and special effects of hollywood to bring a whole new era of entertainment, something that has barley begun.

The release of the 360 was incorporated into most news networks, and all top media websites, and channels, reported on Xbox 360 sales the first weekend it was released, and I might add not a SINGLE ONE of these news agencies portrayed it as a bad thing.

I'm sure we will see the same on-the-top reporting into the PS3 launch, and I'm sure nobody will portray it as a bad thing.

What the media has done with "hot coffee" and GTA San Andreas during the whole "theres sex in this game" craze... was in which I could definatly admit was excessive demonizing of Rockstar. But Rockstar and their one game is hardly "the video game industry".

We have the same thing in Hollywood, take for instance the Passions of Christ... some people took that very hard, I might say harder than "hot coffee".... yet you don't see the media portraying Hollywood as evil, yes ridiculous sometimes, but not evil.

This is the END of my introduction.

Edited by itsjustadeer

Opening Statement

The media is demonizing the industry by making it seem as though they make us go crazy and insane and go and kill stuff this is false propaganda made by the anti gamers

Sure the VG industry does make gory games but so what

Also the media doesn't show any of the best games to the public only the ones that they were payedfor the most such as the case of major consles the media doesn't care what they show just how much they make by showing it and making a profit and overcritizing the gory games on how much blood they show

Edited by Lottie - Added 'opening statement' at top of post.

Edited by Lottie

First bodily post

The media is demonizing the industry by making it seem as though they make us go crazy and insane and go and kill stuff this is false propaganda made by the anti gamers

Sure the VG industry does make gory games but so what

The "media"? Try google news search, Google.

Now type in 'xbox' ... 'playstation .... 'nintendo'.

Look at all the positive results including news about games, pheripherals and other video game related stuff, and try to find a negative result. Go through a couple pages until you do and let me know what you come up with.

Also the media doesn't show any of the best games to the public only the ones that they were payedfor the most such as the case of major consles the media doesn't care what they show just how much they make by showing it and making a profit and overcritizing the gory games on how much blood they show

Media is not in control of what is displayed to the public and what not relating to the video game industry. They get payed for showing some games yes, but this is a capitalist country what do you really expect? Unfortunately for this argument and for the judges time this has nothing to do whether the media is demonizing the video game industry or not.

There are many, many many websites out there dedicated to video games and dedicated to bringing you the latest news about future releases... fileplanet and ign are two out of the many... they show all games, no bias. They are bias towards certain companies but not towards games.

This is the end of my first bodily post.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops slipped my mind :blush:

Anyway the TV commercials don't really care how the game is portrayed take for example the MegaMan commercial and ho wit portrayes games as something that makes kid go insane

Plus Movies based on games. most of them have very little exchange from the Director to the Game developers during the movie making process and their for shows that many of the ideals of the games franchises are maybe destroied or hurt in the movie, Many movies about games also have very little interaction with the game, its like the director just sees the title and comes up with a 2-star plot in 30 seconds and decides to make a movie out of it, however this is changing but still many directors refuse to acknowledge the importance of the game developer, but do they care NO they just want to make a quick buck and give very little of it to the gaming company whose idea it was to make the game that the movie was based on.

An finally how the video gaming is portrayed by the media

it is usually portrayed as a dirty, violent, sexually abusing, racist, gory, insane piece of crap, and no-one does anything to change it

itsjustadeer the 7-day time limit for you to post has well and trully passed. If you do not post by the 11th Lottie or myself will have to disqualify you.

Please let one of us know if you are unable to post or continue the debate.

Sorry, my internet has been down for some time while I was dealing with problems with my so called "dedicated" connection. It's back up now and permanent, again. I run 4 servers, this has been a terrible 2 weeks for me and since I have had my connection back up I have had many, many things to do and getting back to this forum was at the bottom of my list. Good news though I got to it, finally. :tu:

Plus Movies based on games. most of them have very little exchange from the Director to the Game developers during the movie making process and their for shows that many of the ideals of the games franchises are maybe destroied or hurt in the movie

As I said, this is the beginning of a new era of entertainment, the beginning.

Meaning, more and more Directors for big-time hollywood flicks will approach the video game industry in a more serious manner. You will already see this idea is growing year by year, do your research. I will provide source links for my argument. King Kong is one of the top titles out right now, as far as graphics and money spent on production it is one of the BEST. Peter Jackson had a very in-deptch role in the production of the VIDEO GAME, as well as the movie. Since Resident Evil and Tomb Raider were both video-game-gone-movies... it was illogical to assume they would have the game developers on staff to help produce the movies, since the two two professions are so far apart besides conceptual and musical work. Although it IS logical to assume they would have a movie director helping a game developing staff to make the game more in touch with the movie, it is not necessary. That really only helps in the matters of camera angles and storyline. Even with that said, it is a fact, more and more directors are getting in depth with game deloping staffs to ensure prime relation between movies and games. James Cameron, a very famous director, is working on a Movie at the moment ALONG with a MMORPG video game, and he is working closer with that staff than any other director in history, to get both rolling out at once. When the movie hits the theaters the game will hit the shelves. I can guarantee we will see more of this.

When the director doesn't involve himself into the making of a video game that is offspring of a movie it will be based on, that is not always a bad thing. Back in sega and super NES days it was, but not too much these days. Chronicles of Riddick is a good example, GREAT game, no help from the director.

If I had the time I would explain to you where the future of movies and video games are headed, they are going to collide. Sooner or later they will collide into the same form of entertainment. With helments that display 3d images in YOUR real-time enviroment, to controllers that work by reading brain patterns, you will see true virtual reality with-in the next 20 years. True wireless virtual reality. Maybe not affordable for personal home entertainment by then, I can't say when that will be, but the blueprints already exist, they already have the framework for how this stuff is going to work. Think about this as you would think of the cellphone business, they had the designs and patents for very very small, portable cell phones way back in 1984, yet they didnt have a network built for them, and they didnt have the technology to build the motherboards and processing chips, but they had all the blueprints, and they had the ideas, and knew within a few decades they would BOOM. This is a similar situation.

Click here to for information on King Kong

James Cameron's MMO/Movie Crossover

I went to googles media search and typed in "video games" just a moment ago, about this was the only negative result and I don't even personally consider it negative because the media didn't portray anything, they are just reiterating other people's opinions, you know, what the news is suppose to do.

Here is a study done, in which came up on my google search, that suggests my side of this debate might be the right side.

Next post I will post more media stories on video games.

Yes i know Movie directors are joining forces however it is necessary for a gaming developher to interact with the movie because this is technanlly his/her game for it wouldn't exist without there idea to make the game therefore they should have a say in what happens in the movie

Yes but did it also accour to you that King Kong wasn't based on a game and was pretty much a guanteed sucess because of its name. and the game probaly sold good because people wanted to play as a giant monkey :P

Also did it ever acour to you that maybe game devlophers don't need directors to make great games, it just director need game develpohers to make good gaming movies

Also again Chronicles of Riddick wasn't getting help from the director showing that game developers are fine without interferance

Yes no need to tell a gamer what will happen in the future for gaming just a wast eof breath we know all of this already

Edit: MoG there is no need to quote his whole response from last post. Lottie.

Edited by Lottie

I'm having a hard time figuring out what your debate is about.

I'm providing sources to information proving the Media is by far, not demonizing the Video Game industry, and you are trying to point out things you believe I am wrong about.

Going back to 2 posts to when you said:

and their for shows that many of the ideals of the games franchises are maybe destroied or hurt in the movie

How would "ideals" be destroyed? Unless you took Tomb Raider's expansive mythology and applied it to your real life beliefs (in which I hope the majority of people refrain from)... I don't see in any way, shape or form a hollywood movie, based on a video game, could hurt anything, let alone ideals. Ever heard the term "any publicity is good publicity"? If a Hollywood production is featuring the title and trademark your video game company owns, this term applies ten fold.

Yes but did it also accour to you that King Kong wasn't based on a game and was pretty much a guanteed sucess because of its name. and the game probaly sold good because people wanted to play as a giant monkey

Did I say the movie was based on the game? I have read my post 3 times just now and I believe my mentioning of the movie was to help prove that the video game industry is colliding with the a multi billion dollar movie industry. I said "more and more Directors for big-time hollywood flicks will approach the video game industry in a more serious manner" ... obviously I knew the fact that the video game was based from the movie, otherwise I would have chosen a differant structure of words.

Also did it ever acour to you that maybe game devlophers don't need directors to make great games, it just director need game develpohers to make good gaming movies

Wow you amaze me with this information. Is this a fact?

Also again Chronicles of Riddick wasn't getting help from the director showing that game developers are fine without interferance

Exactly ... my ... point.

Yes no need to tell a gamer what will happen in the future for gaming just a wast eof breath we know all of this already

If you know this... and you still think the media is demonizing the video game industry... provide us some links to news articles that display the video game industry as something bad. Please, indulge us sir.

:no:

Master of Geeks the two-week time limit for you to post has just about expired if you do not post within the allowed time I will be forced to disqualify you.

Please pm Myself of Lottie if you are having any problems.