Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In Computer Security, a Bigger Reason to Squirm

Druss

By BRENDAN I. KOERNER

LIKE prison wardens marveling at an escapee's spoon-dug tunnel, computer-security professionals acknowledge grudging admiration for the author of SoBig.F, the virus that deluged e-mail In boxes last month. At the epidemic's peak in mid-August, according to the antivirus company Central Command, SoBig.F-related messages accounted for 73 percent of e-mail traffic worldwide, making it history's most aggressive online contagion.

"You have to think the person who did this has some awareness of the Internet's infrastructure," said Mark Carey, an independent computer security consultant in Columbus, Ohio, who has analyzed SoBig's code. "It's a little more sophisticated than what we've previously seen."

View : Full Article | Source : New York Times

Edited by Druss

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Druss

• Saru

• SpaceyKC

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

By BRENDAN I. KOERNER

IKE prison wardens marveling at an escapee's spoon-dug tunnel,

AND they both unleash a potentially dangerous menace on society. sad.gif

EDIT: oops, sorry Druss, took out more of your quote than I should have. grin2.gif

Thanks KC for pointing out my error. Hope it now makes sense.

original.gif

Edited by Druss

"It's a little more sophisticated than what we've previously seen."

I agree with this completely, Sobig has to be the worst worm i've ever known. I still receive hundreds of infected E-Mails every day, and there is still no sign of it dying down.

At the epidemic's peak in mid-August, according to the antivirus company Central Command, SoBig.F-related messages accounted for 73 percent of e-mail traffic worldwide, making it history's most aggressive online contagion.

This doesn't surprise me at all.