Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The jersey devil

Smeagol1

Ive heard manys stories of this thing I hear it's protecter of the pine barrens I read all documents on the jersey devil

can anyone shed some more light on the subject. :ph34r:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shekinah

• John_06Doe

• Skeet Ulrich

• zoom7500

can anyone shed some more light on the subject.

Off course: Long time ago there was an woman who had 12 kids and she was so angry and didn`t want anymore so she swored that if she ever got an new kid it should be an devil. Later she got pragnid and borned guess what ?, an devil and since that day the devil has terrorised New Yersey (don`t ask me why) and taken many kids away from people. (Some people also belive that it stolen the independentpapir(i`m not shoore if that word is right))

My husband has my son and himself convinced they saw the darn thing...lol. They were killing time one day driving around the pine barrens in New Jersey.. and saw something big and hairy run through a field..swearing it had a shape that was not normal...meh.. I chastized him for scaring the boy..lolHe swears by his story though..lol

The thing is, I've heard so many variations to this story. A woman's 13th child was born demonic and flew out the chimney; and is thus the Jersey Devil. I kinda feel it's nothing more than El Chupacabra for the east coast LOL. At least with the goat sucker, there have been goats and other similar farm animals found dead and completely exsanguinated

Oh yeah, and Smeagol1, that egg you have in your signature that hatched March 1st, what is it. I mean it's a black egg. Isn't supposed to hatch into a creature or something?

The thing I never understood about that story is why would she wish for her next child to be a devil? Wouldn't that just make her life harder? "Well, I've got twelve kids. If I have another one then I hope it's a demon! Yheah, that's gonna help matters".

Sounds like a real nice urban legend to me, but you won't find me hanging around the pine barrens without a double barreled shotgun. :P

ive watched a show about it they had where it was said to of been born. the place was burnt down i think

Well, as of today, my husbands obsession has grown. He spent ANOTHER day over there(we are from PA) and got close enough to ask a bunch of locals some info.. them claiming the fire department burned the building down to thwart random gawkers like my husband.. my husband found the foundation of the building though.. nothing more...

I have no idea what this proves.. he went touting his camera and knife..LOL!

Edited by Shekinah

Yeah ibelieve in that, actually i used to look for info on that topic when i was in like eighth grade, i was actully upseesed with the Jersy Devil

sounds pretty cool, but if you could birth a demon by wishing, we would have a lot more of the things going around. i guess.

• 1 month later...

I also watched a couple of shows on the jersey devil, i sorta remember hearing that a indian put a curse on the woman, not sure though it just something i remember, they also showed the remains of the foundation, they went in search of it that night and don't know what they heard could have been faked but it sounded like a cougar or something and they all took off back to their car, sounded also like something was stalking them

by the way frank one of my fav. movies in donnie darko :tu:

Edited by SAMURAI-X

i heard that the Jersey devil was nothing more than a person who has not evolved into a modern human, but instead chooses to live life as a neandathal back to basics, (so to speak). However how he/it/she could of managed it in this day in age is open for debate.

S'anyone seen the Jersy devil recently, anyone know?

:huh:

In preperation for a short story I was writing, I did quite a bit of research into the Jersey Devil.

Little seems to seperate the Devil from other local urban legends at first. Upon further investigation you'll find that THOUSANDS of people reported encounters with the Jersey Devil in a one-week period in 1909.

Most of the good stuff is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

However, its a bit dissapointing (and funny) to see what is a commonly accepted representation of the Jersey Devil (found in that link).

After all that hype, he doesnt appear to be very threatening...

For some reason this story has always scared me. it's like a scary bedtime story. It reminds me of the mothman at times. it's an intresting story, and I guess there are still blood related people still alive and search for teh devil still. Kind of creepy, but I would do that to.

Sounds like a real nice urban legend to me, but you won't find me hanging around the pine barrens without a double barreled shotgun. :P

I totally agree, I don’t want them to find my body all mutilated!

• 5 months later...

In the reports I've encountered of the best-known Jersey Devil "flap," the one from 1909, the creature seems remarkably similar to a pterodactyl.

Off course: Long time ago there was an woman who had 12 kids and she was so angry and didn`t want anymore so she swored that if she ever got an new kid it should be an devil. Later she got pragnid and borned guess what ?, an devil and since that day the devil has terrorised New Yersey (don`t ask me why) and taken many kids away from people. (Some people also belive that it stolen the independentpapir(i`m not shoore if that word is right))

your write but theres no to the story then just that, when the day the jd was born it didnt come out normal, from what ive heard it tore up of her stomache cuz it was too big to comeout you know where, it killed the maid and the lady that was helping with the birth and the 12 kids

• 1 month later...

I've heard of the Jersey Devil also... about the woman.. she had 12 kids... and she didn't want another child.. so she cursed the 13th child before it was born... and she had another child... and it turned out to be the Jersey Devil... reports say they see a creature.. with glowing red eyes.. out in the woods. Found a pic of a cow carcass on a power line.. people around the area say it was the Jersey Devil that put it there.. but i don't know.

Its not really an urban legend, since they don't have documented reported sightings. When it comes to urban legends you really don't know when they happened. "A few years back" or "a long time ago," is kind of a standard.

Its not really an urban legend, since they don't have documented reported sightings. When it comes to urban legends you really don't know when they happened. "A few years back" or "a long time ago," is kind of a standard.

Yeah... well.. thats just what i heard. I do know alot of urban legends too...

• 3 months later...

I belive i saw the jersey devil when i visited my cousin in hoboken his dog was barking and when we went outside we saw a torso that seemed to be of a man but when it ran away we saw the lower body of a goat we didint see it clearly but we ran back 2 the house that the next morning the dog was dead it wasent anything physical it looked like something scared it into shock

My friend's cousin said she looked outside at what she thought was a deer but then saw it stand on its hind legs. She was traumatized by the incident and says it might've been the jersey devil. By the way, she lives in South Jersey.