Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

iron pillar of delhi

louie

Did you mean to write numerology? Or we're you referring to mathematics?

Edit: didn't realise how old this thread was either. It's all 'the L''s fault!

Yeah. Frogfish (A really cool guy) has been gone for like 2 years now.

Thanks a lot. That realy helped.

However did Udayagiri caves can be called Vishnupada hill? Is there any hill at all? Do we seen other pillars there?

Is there else more similar pillars?

Also we only suggest who was Chandra, right?

I adore Gupta empire. It was best time period in India and empire (+Mughal) in India in my opinion.

L, what are you talking about? If the Udayagiri caves could be called Vishnupada hill, they wouldn't be called Udayagiri caves. These are two separate locations. I didn't suggest anybody being Chandra. Not sure where you get that from. Also, no no other pillars, just a monumental figure of Viṣṇu in his incarnation as the boar-headed Varaha.

L, what are you talking about? If the Udayagiri caves could be called Vishnupada hill, they wouldn't be called Udayagiri caves. These are two separate locations. I didn't suggest anybody being Chandra. Not sure where you get that from. Also, no no other pillars, just a monumental figure of Viṣṇu in his incarnation as the boar-headed Varaha.

Because thats what inscription on pillar said. Vishnupada hill and Chandra is written on pillar.

Its said on wikipedia about pillar.

Because thats what inscription on pillar said. Vishnupada hill and Chandra is written on pillar.

Its said on wikipedia about pillar.

OK you mean this bit from Wiki :

The pillar carries a number of inscriptions and graffiti of different dates which have not been studied systematically despite the pillar's prominent location and easy access. The oldest inscription on the pillar is in Sanskrit, written in Gupta-period Brahmi script.[10] This states that the pillar was erected as a standard in honour of Viṣṇu. It also praises the valor and qualities of a king referred to simply as Candra, now generally identified with the Gupta King Candragupta II.[11] Some authors attempted to identify Candra with Candragupta Maurya and yet others have claimed the pillar dates as early as 912 BCE.[12] These views are no longer accepted.

We don't all use Wiki mate, so you really need to learn to reference, seriously. Also keep in mind that although this appears to be the oldest inscription, this may just be the oldest "graffiti" on there, and not anything by the people that actually made the pillar. Also I cannot find any indication of where Vishnupada hillis written on the pillar. Mind linking it or showing me?

The iron pillar is one of the world’s foremost metallurgical curiosities. The pillar, 7.21 metre high and weighing more than six tonnes, was originally erected by Chandragupta II Vikramaditya (375–414 AD) in front of a Vishnu Temple complex at Udayagiri around 402 AD, and later shifted by Aangpal in 10th Century AD from Udaygiri to its present location. Anangpal built a Vishnu Temple here and wanted this pillar to be a part of that temple.

The estimated weight of the decorative bell of the pillar is 646 kg while the main body weighs 5865 kg thereby making the entire pillar weigh at 6,511 kg. The pillar bears an inscription in Sanskrit in Brahmi script dating 4th century AD, which indicates that the pillar was set up as a Vishnudhvaja, standard of god, on the hill known as Vishnupada in memory of a mighty king named Chandra, believed to Chandragupta II. A deep socket on the top of this ornate capital suggests that probably an image of Garuda was fixed into it, as common in such flagpoles.[25]

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Qutb_complex ( About Iron Pillar. )

Oh, wiki is like portal. You need to check links they provide as source. I like wiki. It is starting point. Often they have some great picture like this one.

India-Qutb-Iron.jpg

But on this particular thing it doesnt have source.

Im sure I read it few more places.

See the bottom of this pic

http://www.grandpooh...ranslation.html

Delhi iron pillar has an inscription in Samskr.tam written in Brahmi

script.

It is a vishnu dhvaja on a hill called Vishnupaada. Installed by King

Chandra.

He, on whose arm fame was inscribed by the sword, when, in battle in

the Vanga countries, he kneaded (and turned) back with (his) breast

the enemies who, uniting together, came against (him);-he, by whom,

having crossed in warfare the seven mouths of the (river) Sindhu, the

Vâhlikas were conquered;-he, by the breezes of whose prowess the

southern ocean is even still perfumed;-

(Line 3.)-He, the remnant of the great zeal of whose energy,

which utterly destroyed (his) enemies, like (the remnant of the great

glowing heat) of a burned-out fire in a great forest, even now leaves

not the earth; though he, the king, as if wearied, has quitted this

earth, and has gone to the other world, moving in (bodily) form to

the land (of paradise) won by (the merit of has) actions, (but)

remaining on (this) earth by (the memory of his) fame;-

(L. 5.)-By him, the king,-who attained sole supreme

sovereignty in the world, acquired by his own arm and (enjoyed) for a

very long time; (and) who, having the name of Chandra, carried a

beauty of countenance like (the beauty of) the full-moon,-having in

faith fixed his mind upon (the god) Vishnu, this lofty standard of

the divine Vishnu was set up on the hill (called) Vishnupada.

http://tech.dir.grou...gy/message/1133

and here

http://www.world-mys..._ironpillar.htm

Thats four sources or did they tell everyone lie beliving its truth. So in the end lie become truth. Like in Orwells novel?

Edited by the L

L, methinks this is a matter of interpretation of a verse. The one you highlighted.

(L. 5.)-By him, the king,-who attained sole supreme

sovereignty in the world, acquired by his own arm and (enjoyed) for a

very long time; (and) who, having the name of Chandra, carried a

beauty of countenance like (the beauty of) the full-moon,-having in

faith fixed his mind upon (the god) Vishnu, this lofty standard of

the divine Vishnu was set up on the hill (called) Vishnupada.

Also the name I found in Wiki, is Candra, so on either wiki page this might just have been a typo. Fair enough. However I think that the interpretation given here is that the Iron Pillar is in fact the same as "this lofty standard of the divine Vishnu was set up on the hill (called) Vishnupada." However a standart can also be a kind of a flag with an emblem on it, or sometimes the emblem itself is called "the standart".

Now I see what you mean though, it could also be from Vishnupada hill. But given that this is based on the interpretation of an ancient text, even if it was carved into the pillar, I would take it with a grain of salt and go for the more funded theory, based on analysis of the metallurgy of the pillar. Interpretation of any ancient language is difficult at the best of days.

• Like 1