Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
jesspy

Google Mars

14 posts in this topic

Google launches new look at Mars

By ALICIA CHANG

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — First there was Google Earth, then Google Moon.

On Monday, Google Inc. expanded its galactic reach by launching Google Mars, a Web browser-based mapping tool that gives users an up-close, interactive view of the Red Planet with the click of a mouse.

The Martian maps were made from images taken by NASA's orbiting Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Surveyor.

Google Mars doesn't provide driving directions, but users can see the planet in three different formats:

• The Martian elevation map is color-coded by altitude

• The visible-imagery map shows the surface in black-and-white pictures

• The infrared map indicates temperature, with cooler areas dark and warmer areas bright.

Users can also zoom in on any of the three maps to view geographical features such as mountains, canyons, dunes and craters. The maps also pinpoint the locations of unmanned probes and rovers that have landed on Mars.

Although many Mars images are already available on the Internet, mostly through NASA's Mars-mission Web sites, the developers of Google Mars said this is the first time that members of the public can explore Mars on their own.

Phil Christensen, an Arizona State University planetary geologist who operates an infrared camera on the Mars Odyssey, said the Martian maps at http://www.google.com/mars would most likely be updated every few weeks.

Arizona State University partnered with Google to create the maps.

link to article

I started a thread about this yesterday.

Here is a link to the maps: Google Mars

Interesting to play with. In another century or so when Man establishes a base or Colony it will be of more interest to John Doe Citizen I think.

New to the board and do not know if this has been posted yet but thought I would share. Seems like there are a lot of bright people on this board so this may be old news to most.

Google Mars

Also, I receive a weekly newsletter from the Mars Odyssey Mission THEMIS which includes freshly taken photos of Mars. Every week, THEMIS takes several hundred images of the surface of Mars, and you can see them here as they are received by mission scientists. If Mars fascinates you as it does me then you may want to subscribe to their weekly e-mails.

Mars Odyssey Mission THEMIS

Enjoy,

How cool is this! It shows the big picture and gives you controls to zoom in and out and pan, a bit like Google Earth. :) The detail is simply amazing!

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/hirise_images/

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/hirise...RA_000823_1720/

Edited by hazzard

nice find

While Robert Goddard was developing rockets in the 1920s, Ansel Adams was photographing the American Southwest. This generation now has it's own record, as Goddard and Adams reach the next level, on Mars.

This might be the end of the "Face on Mars", "Glassworm" and other silly theories about alien artifacts on the red planet. :yes:

Google earth isn't even real...the earth is flat ...

How cool is this! It shows the big picture and gives you controls to zoom in and out and pan, a bit like Google Earth. :) The detail is simply amazing!

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/hirise_images/

http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/hirise...RA_000823_1720/

Amazingly detailed. I can't wait till Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter really gets going on it's photo mission.

Best,

Badeskov

This might be the end of the "Face on Mars", "Glassworm" and other silly theories about alien artifacts on the red planet. :yes:

Hopefully it is, but I am sure something different and even more "fantastic" will enter the scene.

Best,

Badeskov

Gee, if they are trying to hide all the evidence of aliens on Mars, perhaps this isn't really a good idea? Then again, I'm only one of those *other* people! IPB Image\