Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beyond Belief

colorless

Anyone remember this show? Jonathan Frakes was the host. They'd do research for paranormal stories and such, get actors and reenact what happened, show them and at the end of the show, they'd tell you which was fact and which one was fiction.

The one I remember most was where this kid believed there was a monster in his closet. There was more to it but after school one day, his brother chased him home from school and made him run into his closet. The boy started screaming saying the monster was going to get him and his brother kept laughing. The boy stopped screaming, so his brother opened the closet door but he was gone. They said the cops found scratch marks all over the inside of the closet. dontgetit.gif

Anyone else have any particular stories they'd like to share?

Edit

Found this

The Creature from the Closet is a poorly documented phenoma which has, quite frighteningly enough, proved to be more than folklore or childhood fears. Often conflated with the Boogeyman, and so named by many children who claim to see it, it is a very different variety of monster than is more involved with children than it is with parents.

It would be interesting to explore the psychological phenomenon of the Creature from the Closet, as it is very likely the majority of cases are hoaxes. Unfortunately, in at least one case it proved frighteningly real.

The TV series Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction features five stories each week. Some are true, and some are based on actual cases. It was quite shocking to learn that this seemingly absured story, based on one in the collection of Robert Trails, was in fact, a dramatization of a true story. It was titled "Kid in the Closet."

A young boy was afraid of sleeping in his bedroom, convinced that there was a monster in his closet. His parents could not understand why the fear became greater, rather than lesser, as he grew older. It caused him torment from the bullies at school.

One day, they were being particularly rough with him, his older brother was among the group. They chased him to his house, and he shut them in, but his brother had the key. They dragged him up to his room, and forced him in. They opened his closet door, daring him to walk in, calling him a baby for not doing so. As the older sister walked in upon hearing the tumult, the older brother went into the closet and began to scream. Everyone thought it was a game to torment the younger brother.

Soon, the mother came home and tried to get the boys to clear out. She opened the door and found the older brother's clothes on the floor of the closet, and he was nowhere to be found. He had disappeared, screaming, in front of half a dozen witnesses, all minors.

The police investigated the closet, and found no possibility of exit other than through the door. The marked him as a runaway. The evidence spoke otherwise. The family moved away from the house and never found their son.

This story was, as I said, supposed to be true. I believe they said it occured in North Carolina. This is something certainly worth of study to cryptozoologists, as well as child psychologists, but it is, as we see, a sadly neglected topic.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colorless

• RelicHunter

• Pious Augustus

• TylerGred

I love that show! Sci-fi gave reruns during the summer, and summer 2002 Fox aired new episodes...

i remember that episode with the boy playing in the closet! I am so glad someone else remembers that episode because my family swore i made it up...it was proven to be fact if i remember correctly...

i couldnt think of any episodes off the top of my head, but my dad had reminded me of an episode i did not see...

he said there was a family driving in a highway on a dark and foggy night. Suddenly they saw what looked like their dog (although they were miles away from home) so they pulled over to get the dog, but he ran away. Later they found out that if it wasnt for them stopping they would have been involved in a 40 car pile-up!

sometimes that show used to freak me out! i remember being scared to open my closet! tongue.gif

This show was the bomb! It was interesting and fun. I hope fox brings it back or they air the show in syndication. I needs to be on the air!!

I remember on about elvis's sign motocylce seat...

RH

THE SHOW ROCKED!

Do you remember the one where this guy had to go to another state or something for his job i think. He was married and it was almost their anniversary. He stopped by a hotel and got a room. Then he started feeling sick so he went to bed. A few hours later he came down and asked the guy at the front desk where he could find a pharmacy. He told him. He came back a while later with a brown bag and asked the guy to hold it for him, and he went back to his room. Later they found out he died either in his room or in a car accident and it was before he could have given the bag to the front desk guy. They looked in the bag and it was a ring for his wife.

And the one where a woman leaves her mother in a hotel for a few minutes, comes back and she's gone, and no one remembers her.

I think the hotel one and the necklace were on the same episode. They were both true.

One of the last ones I remember seeing was about an preschool teacher. It was her first day and there was a girl there. I think her name was Ashley. On the first day, Ashley stays after class just sitting at her table. The teacher goes up to her and asks what's wrong. Ashley says she wants her doll back. She describes the doll to her and the teacher has no idea what she's talking about. Later that day, she went through her old doll collection and found the one Ashley described. She asked her mom where she got it from and her mom told her she had a friend named Ashley when she was really little. One day she came by to play and when she left, she forgot the doll there. She died that day from a car accident. The next day, the teacher brought the doll in and Ashley was happy. Ashley then showed her the heart they drew on the doll that day and the teacher suddenly remembered the day she died.

Another one.

There was a girl who needed a hearing aid but never wanted to put it on because it hurt her head. One day her mom took her to the doctor. Her doctor wasn't there so a fill-in examined her. She wouldn't talk so the fill-in asked the girl's mom if she could talk to the girl alone. The mom left the room and the fill-in tried talking to the girl. She asked the girl if she wanted to play some games. She nodded her head. They played guessing games. When the fill-in touched the girl, she could sense what she was thinking and kept winning the games. After a while, the girl asked the fill-in if she could stop the pain in her head. The fill-in held the girl's hands and after the appointment, asked a doctor to give the girl a catscan because she might have a tumor. The catscan revealed the girl did have one and it was treated because it was in its early stages. It was later discovered that the nurse wasn't a fill-in and was never seen again.

I don't remember that one. I do remember one where a family(huband, wife, daughter) were going through some hard times and they were robbed. The wife had hidden something in a candle. I think it was jewelery. Anyway, the wife died and the house was robbed. The candle was stolen. I don't think anyone knew the wife hid something in the candle. I think they thought she hid the necklace in the house. Well, the daughter takes her father out cause he's in a wheelchair and someone mugs her. She leaves her father cause she wants to chase the mugger. She chases the mugger to the abandoned house, and she finds the candle. She takes the candle to her father, and inside is the necklace. I don't remember I think it was true though.

I remember this one and it was one of the new episodes. Does anyone else remember the one where this guy walks around saying "They towed my car" over and over again? And then they find his car in a pond or something and then his body's in the trunk? Well it wasn't true but it was well IS the most stupidest thing i've ever seen lol. But still it was a good show. Does anyone know if it was cancelled?

RH

ooh those were good ones. Do you remember the guy the one were the cop was trying to find out who murdered the girl on the beach? He kept gathering clues, and the clues kept leading back to himself. I don't think he actually knew the murder victim. The cop later realized he was the murderer. He killed her while he was sleepwalKing!!! I remember reading in a book somewhere that the guy that this happened turned himself in,

Yup I remember this one too. I also remember what the host said after it. It happened in the 1970's in CA.

RH

Anyone remember that mean radio guy one where his son called? The part where he said "You forgot one thing. He was throwing a baseball." or something like that gave me the creeps.

There was one where two men knocked on an old woman's door late at night. They asked if they could stay at her house. She let them. They changed into her husband's clothes. They asked where she got the clothes from since they didn't see any men around. The lady told them that her husband had died and she had to borrow $900 and has to sell her land the next day to pay off the debt. The next morning, she woke up and the strangers left. She found a note on the table with $900. The banker came buy and she gave him the money. While the banker was riding down a road, two men robbed the banker. They took off their masks and it was the two men the old lady let stay at her house. The banker said "You're in a lot of trouble." and the two men said "You've just been robbed by Frank and Jesse James."

Twas true.