Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ethical Eating

Sherapy

Eating "ethically", meaning avoiding foods that are a result of unethical treatment of land, plant, animal, or human (stress the last as most people don't realize where child slavery is used).

What does eating ethically mean to you????discuss......

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• frogfish

• hyperactive

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

eating ethically is eating foods that have been treated as well as you would treat yourself, and the people working to produce the foods are treated as well as you would treat yourself.

Whatever is cheapest to buy is ethically right.

There is only one kind of food on earth that nothing has been killed to make it, and that is honey. So unless you strictly only eat honey and drink water. You are killing something to eat.

Whatever is cheapest to buy is ethically right.

There is only one kind of food on earth that nothing has been killed to make it, and that is honey. So unless you strictly only eat honey and drink water. You are killing something to eat.

so kratos, you would buy a cheaper food even if it was harvested by child slaves?

it is not about organisms living and dying. it is about HOW organisms live and die.

I think the ultimate ethical eating would be to plant a vegetable garden in your back yard, use compost for fertlizer and no pesticides. This to me is the ultimate, and yes, I am currently doing this. It is a great way to spend time as a family, you eat healthy, and it saves money!! :tu:

The fact is that there is enough food in the world for everyone. But tragically, much of the world's food and land resources are tied up in producing beef and other livestock--food for the well off--while millions of children and adults suffer from malnutrition and starvation."

-Dr.Walden Bello

"An estimated 85 percent of all U.S agricultural land is used in the production of animal foods, which in turn is linked with deforestation, destruction of wildlife species, extinction of species, loss of soil productivity, mineral deletion and erosion, water pollution and depletion, overgrazing, and desertification.

Dr. Michael W. Fox, Agricide

If you don't like my opinions leave. But just remember, the animals can't leave the cages that hold them. They are captive and suffering. As you cozy into your bed tonight, try to imagine the pain and the suffering that they endure day after day and night after night. Next time you get some soap in your eyes, try to imagine that pain for 3 or 4 days at a time. Next time you have a stomach ache, try to imagine liquid plumber being poured down your throat till you puke so much blood that you bleed to death. Next time you bump your head, try to imagine being a monkey and getting a steel plate smashed into your skull at 50 miles per hour. Then, only then should you feel compelled to tell me that I'm wrong about my opinions. For all these things have happened in the name of science. They continue in abundance till this day."-Ricki Rockett'

The thinking man must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another, even the lowliest creature; to do so is to renounce our manhood and shoulder a guilt which nothing justifies."

-Albert Schweitzer

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear."

-Robert Louis Stevenson

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."

-Buddha

May we all come one step closer to the ethical treatment of all life...... the Berri's

so kratos, you would buy a cheaper food even if it was harvested by child slaves?

it is not about organisms living and dying. it is about HOW organisms live and die.

Guess so. If I don't buy it, someone else will for sure. Chances are you have something you own, owned or eaten that was made by slaves.

Isn't that convenient for you. No problem using a plant soley for growing it's seeds to eat but have a problem with using a animal to reproduce for meat or eggs.

If a cow is born braindead (feeling no pain or able to think) in your opinion then, would it be alright to eat because it never suffered and will die nicely because it can't think or feel pain. ;)

The fact is that there is enough food in the world for everyone. But tragically, much of the world's food and land resources are tied up in producing beef and other livestock--food for the well off--while millions of children and adults suffer from malnutrition and starvation."

-Dr.Walden Bello

The UN says we, as a world, overproduce food by a lot, yes. But to simply blame the starving of other because I like to enjoy a steak is silly. It's so easy to choose words that fit your goal. He is speaking of land being used of now, not total land resources on a global scale. Even so, there are businesses in the world to strive forward. It has always been like that, through trade, barters, currency and such. This will not change. I notice you are on a computer typing this up... Think if you weren't so greedy possession wise, think of all the poor starving children you could have fed with just the price of your internet connection per a month. ;)

"An estimated 85 percent of all U.S agricultural land is used in the production of animal foods, which in turn is linked with deforestation, destruction of wildlife species, extinction of species, loss of soil productivity, mineral deletion and erosion, water pollution and depletion, overgrazing, and desertification.

Dr. Michael W. Fox, Agricide

And growing crops over and over ruins the land, poisons are needed to protect them that can get in water and killing many kinds of animals. Then for the room needed for crops you would still be messing up the native species and driving others out of that land. Clearly that is linked as well.

If you don't like my opinions leave. But just remember, the animals can't leave the cages that hold them. They are captive and suffering. As you cozy into your bed tonight, try to imagine the pain and the suffering that they endure day after day and night after night. Next time you get some soap in your eyes, try to imagine that pain for 3 or 4 days at a time. Next time you have a stomach ache, try to imagine liquid plumber being poured down your throat till you puke so much blood that you bleed to death. Next time you bump your head, try to imagine being a monkey and getting a steel plate smashed into your skull at 50 miles per hour. Then, only then should you feel compelled to tell me that I'm wrong about my opinions. For all these things have happened in the name of science. They continue in abundance till this day."-Ricki Rockett'

Leave? :rolleyes: Guy already sounds like a self absorbed jerk that thinks he is riding some high horse.

Funny about that... The Nazi's used humans in their tests in the name of science in Block 10 and we still use that research today in the medical world despite the handful of people that want it destroyed.

In the last week 11 people died in a drug study on humans. Guess we do throw humans in the line of fire. They were not forced either.

In advancing science sacrifices must be made for the greater goal. Again, this has been happening for thousands of years. When first man started to break out into the wild he watched animals of what they ate to see if it was safe for him to eat. In the animals testing, we are here today breathing. ;)

The thinking man must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another, even the lowliest creature; to do so is to renounce our manhood and shoulder a guilt which nothing justifies."

-Albert Schweitzer

Guilt is for those that feel guilty. It is natural in nature to eat another animal. As we are animals.

I do not support animal cruelity though. I'd much like a quick death for the animal then a prolonged one.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear."

-Robert Louis Stevenson

Nature is nothing to be ashamed of. Do you think all animals then should only eat plants and take unnatural pills to make up for the loss of meat?

No matter how you try not to be an animal, it is written within your DNA that you are not above animals but one of them.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."

-Buddha

Buddha, eh? To him however existence is suffering.

After millions of years, you would hope and think people would see we are not seperate or different from the animal kingdom but a part of the circle of life.

I think food resource allocation has to be tied to responsible birth control.

Sooner or later it will have to be that or extinction.

Well, increases in atmospheric methane over the past few thousand years may be - at least in part - due to increases in rice production.

Methane is a greenhouse gas.

Methane causes global warming.

Therefore, ethically, no-one should eat rice.......

(Personally I eat whatever I want :) )

Edited by Essan

Kratos its cyrstal clear you do not know much about the eco-system or the ethics of what is good for one is good for all...

YOU CHOOSE TO EAT MEAT, you do not NEED to eat meat abit of a difference there...

The UN is such a reputable source of info you should listen to them ha ha ha ha ha ha LOL....

everytime you put a steak in your mouth you support animal cruelty...

Everyday one doesn't eat meat it makes 10,000 of pounds of grain available for more to be one fed,and it goes from there the domino effect idea.....What do you do again!!!!!!

Kratos its cyrstal clear you do not know much about the eco-system or the ethics of what is good for one is good for all...

YOU CHOOSE TO EAT MEAT, you do not NEED to eat meat abit of a difference there...

The UN is such a reputable source of info you should listen to them ha ha ha ha ha ha LOL....

everytime you put a steak in your mouth you support animal cruelty...

Everyday one doesn't eat meat it makes 10,000 of pounds of grain available for more to be one fed,and it goes from there the domino effect idea.....What do you do again!!!!!!

Fine. :rolleyes:

Yes, I choose to eat meat. Doesn't mean it's wrong to. Humans and other animals have been eating each other now for millions of years. It's nature.

20/20 seems to think so.

According to media mogul and philanthropist Ted Turner, population growth is "a time bomb waiting to happen." If it continues, at the current rate, according to Turner, "Eventually you stand around in a desert with nothing to eat." But that too is a myth. We see the pictures of starving masses in populous places, but the starvation is caused by things like civil war and government corruption that interfere with the distribution of food. 

With more people, we also have more smart ideas. Every year we learn how to grow more food on less land. Thanks to improved technology, the United Nations now says the world overproduces food. 

Source

^_^ More then enough food to go around. :tu:

That's your opinion. I live in a part of my state were farming is quite common and I've seen slaughter houses on the inside. I know how they are killed. It's the food chain, part of nature. All humans meat eating has had our bodies evolve to process cholesterol and fat better... That's nature.

Fine. :rolleyes:

Yes, I choose to eat meat. Doesn't mean it's wrong to. Humans and other animals have been eating each other now for millions of years. It's nature.

20/20 seems to think so.

According to media mogul and philanthropist Ted Turner, population growth is "a time bomb waiting to happen." If it continues, at the current rate, according to Turner, "Eventually you stand around in a desert with nothing to eat." But that too is a myth. We see the pictures of starving masses in populous places, but the starvation is caused by things like civil war and government corruption that interfere with the distribution of food. 

With more people, we also have more smart ideas. Every year we learn how to grow more food on less land. Thanks to improved technology, the United Nations now says the world overproduces food. 

Source

^_^ More then enough food to go around. :tu:

That's your opinion. I live in a part of my state were farming is quite common and I've seen slaughter houses on the inside. I know how they are killed. It's the food chain, part of nature. All humans meat eating has had our bodies evolve to process cholesterol and fat better... That's nature.

No its not nature to eat meat as a human its conditioning of course you can choose to do that...We are omnivores which means the ability to do both..

Also the health of the United States is worse than any developing country ironically, so far the body hasn't evolved to handle the amount of animal fats , we are the forerunners in obesity and heart diseease,cancers, etc etc....You become what you eat....

I can see that you get your education on the six o'clock news, by the way its biased they tell you what they want you to think its not a thinking mans way to aquire info, its designed to sell and thats it.....

Ted Turner owns a network need I say more??????People starving is a not a myth.......the top soil being scarce is not a myth, the waste going into the water and the air is not a myth, the hole in the ozone layer is not a myth, the amount of pesticides that are used and have to be increased becasue bugs become immune not a myth, and causings cancers antibiotics being unable to work any more not a myth, but of course this is only my opinion..

Oh I also know what goes on in a slaughterhouse i used to be married to someone that also worked in one for a short time and a few of our freinds they quit and became vegetarians, i DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY You wouldn't heart the journey of those that care when you don't or can't or choose not too or whatever denial maybe in your case.IMO. its our health dude and future...I've always been amazed by that how some critizice those that err on the side of concern and compassion...hmmmmm interesting logic...

Edited by Sheri berri

A Healthy Tip from BM

SLIPPERY ELM FOOD

Slippery elm (Ulmus fulva) has been used as an herbal remedy in North America for centuries. Native Americans used slippery elm in healing salves for wounds, boils, ulcers, burns, and skin inflammation. Antiseptic poultices made from the mucilage or gummy secretion from the bark were applied to infected wounds. In particular, the Cherokee used Slippery elm for coughs, skin conditions, and as an eye wash.

Slippery elm is also one of four herbs included in a popular therapy called essiac that is promoted for cancer treatment. This remedy was developed by a nurse in Canada in the early 1930's. Later, the formula was expanded from its original inclusion of slippery elm, burdock root, sheep sorrel and Turkish rhubarb to also include red clover, water cress, blessed thistle, and kelp. Today, reports state that there are over 40 variations of these herbal combination remedies on the market, without scientific proof that any of them work.

The conditions for which slippery elm has received recognition from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe and effective option include sore throat (pharyngitis) and respiratory symptoms, such as cough. Herbalists also recommend it for external use to treat wounds, cuts, and certain skin conditions, including diaper rash.

Because of its growing popularity, there has been an increasing demand for slippery elm bark. However, since the wood of the slippery elm tree has no commercial value, the trees are left to die after their bark has been harvested. This has led the National Center for the Preservation of Medicinal Herbs to launch an effort aimed at promoting sustainable cultivation of slippery elm.

Slippery elm is also considered a wholesome nutritional food, similar in texture to oatmeal and can be prepared as a porridge. Consumed three times per day, unsweetened "elm food" may be a good source of nutrients. Because it is gentle and easily digested, it is well tolerated by people with gastritis and other forms of intestinal problems.

I took a lot of it when I had a stomach ulser and it was gone in no time...it's also great for the skin...BM swears by it ;)

I like to eat fruits and vegetables that don't have poison sprayed on them. I believe they are called....organic. :yes:

I like to eat fruits and vegetables that don't have poison sprayed on them. I believe they are called....organic. :yes:

If you have the means, grow your own! You know for sure they are not chemically treated and you have the satisfaction of growing your own food. I find you appreciate it more. And the kids too!! :tu:

If you have the means, grow your own! You know for sure they are not chemically treated and you have the satisfaction of growing your own food. I find you appreciate it more. And the kids too!! :tu:

I have some blackberry bushes growing quite well, also strawberries, and Tomatoes, Peppers, and Carrots and Onions.

And to make sure that I remain ethical while eating them...I try not to burp or blow my nose into the napkin while at the table. :tu:

I have some blackberry bushes growing quite well, also strawberries, and Tomatoes, Peppers, and Carrots and Onions.

And to make sure that I remain ethical while eating them...I try not to burp or blow my nose into the napkin while at the table. :tu:

That's funny. I love all my gardens (veggies, herbs, and flowers)! :tu:

:tu: nova!

do grow your own! "fresh off the vine" is the most nutritious. Foods degrade the longer they are dying sitting in boxes, displays, refrigerators, etc.

kratos:

no, i would not eat a braindead cow, because i don't eat cow! :tu:

the attitude of "if i don't, somebody else will" is the way of stagnation! Nothing would ever improve now, would it?

I will agree with you we ARE a part of the ecosystem. Thus, it is time we as a species started acting like we are again rather than abusing the system such as through our agricultural practices. :tu:

please don't ug-ug, ok. :rofl::rofl::rofl: (inside joke to sheri)

I know this is a bit off topic but...me too! I am especially fond of my blackberries. This is the second year and they are just going crazy. The first year I only harvested about 50 berries. This year should at least double or triple that. I am particularly fond of going out with a bowl of cereal and picking fresh blackberries and eating them with the cereal. Preferably, organically grown Shredded Wheat.

And I am not about to start calling my Blackberries, Sherriberries. :no::P

:tu: nova!

do grow your own! "fresh off the vine" is the most nutritious. Foods degrade the longer they are dying sitting in boxes, displays, refrigerators, etc.

kratos:

no, i would not eat a braindead cow, because i don't eat cow! :tu:

the attitude of "if i don't, somebody else will" is the way of stagnation! Nothing would ever improve now, would it?

I will agree with you we ARE a part of the ecosystem. Thus, it is time we as a species started acting like we are again rather than abusing the system such as through our agricultural practices. :tu:

please don't ug-ug, ok. :rofl::rofl::rofl: (inside joke to sheri)

Yes, I grow my own. I think it is educational for the kids as well as nutriential. We also eat our veggies raw, which is more healthy! i think teaching our kids about being more self-sufficient is great, who knows they my have to live that way in the future.

I know this is a bit off topic but...me too! I am especially fond of my blackberries. This is the second year and they are just going crazy. The first year I only harvested about 50 berries. This year should at least double or triple that. I am particularly fond of going out with a bowl of cereal and picking fresh blackberries and eating them with the cereal. Preferably, organically grown Shredded Wheat.

And I am not about to start calling my Blackberries, Sherriberries. :no::P

ummm Shredded Wheat. Have you tried the Kashi cereals? yum yum! :tu:

ummm Shredded Wheat. Have you tried the Kashi cereals? yum yum! :tu:

No, but next time I go into Whole Foods I'll get some.

I also am quite fond of Organic Maple Syrup from the country north of here.

No, but next time I go into Whole Foods I'll get some.

I also am quite fond of Organic Maple Syrup from the country north of here.

sounds good. i like the Kashi brand because they don't use sugar. They have other products like bars and such. I sometimes make my own granola cereal.

i avoid foods with added sugar as well.

i also do no use maple surup because it is nutritionally deficient.

wow Joc, I'm surprised to know you care about the planet and your self, boy you are surprizing me( the child rearing) i guess we just don't know. someone..Good for you.....

Nova I'm in the process of staritng a garden also my friend curiousity is helping me I agree with you... any gardening tips are welcomed..

I'm very fortuante to live in California so I shop the farmers markets year round but for my kid I'd like to set an example of ethical eating no "ug ug" behavior for him.

As always words of wisdom from my friend Hyper who really cares and is an inspiration :D My journey is so much richer and rewarding :D:D

ug ug ug ug ............me no eat maple sryup ug ug ug ug...............

Edited by Sheri berri