Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien Big Cats

Saru

In recent months there has been an increasing number of reports, sightings and even police warnings regarding large predatory cats, 'ABC's', on the loose in numerous parts of the British Isles. Putting aside any doubt that these cats really are here in the UK, what, if anything should be done about them ?

If the problem persists, and if the number of large cats in Britain increases to any great extent, it may be necessary to impose some sort of law regarding these animals, whether it be that they should be hunted down as soon as possible, or that they should be protected and allowed to live in the wild without human interference.

These cats obviously don't belong here, but if they are able to survive and breed in the wild, and don't pose any significant threat to humans, is there any real reason to hunt them down ?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• Saru

• spyro_86

• Seraphina

Aren't there laws there about invading species and what should be done with them? Here in New York we are allowed to kill geese if we dispose of the bodies.

Here in New York we are allowed to kill geese if we dispose of the bodies.

I highly doubt that. If it is true, that's just wrong.

Leave them be...

They're numbers are not exactly huge, and it's just about impossible for anything even resembling a stable population to ever be in place. As time goes on, they're likely to become increasingly afraid of humans, not the other way round as might be expected (you ever see lions scatter like mice when the local Africans walk by with their kids...they're under no illusion as to who which species would wipe out which if it was needed, and neither would our own alien big cats).

Sooo, they're not exactly a danger to people, beyond the shock of a farmer waking up to find a dead sheep or two...we wiped out wolves in this country in a wave of hysteria and ignorance, maybe nature's earned a right to fill that hole with some imported talent tongue.gif

Aren't there laws there about invading species and what should be done with them?

There are laws relating to the keeping of dangerous animals, but I don't know what the laws are on invading species.

For example the grey squirrel can be considered an invading species here in the UK, but I don't think the laws on wildlife preservation would allow people to go out and hunt them.

I'm not sure how legal it is to hunt down a big cat, it's not really something that has been an issue long enough to have warranted any new laws being passed.

Link

The above link takes you to the current law in the UK regarding dangerous animals, which the ABC's would possibly come under if the situation got any worse.

um...unless I'm missing something, that law's about the ownership of dangerous animals, not what to do with them when they're running around in the wild.

To the best of my knowledge, they're already included under that act, and keeping them requires a licence, and special circumstances. Big cats in the wild today are likely pets that were bought illegally, and then released when they got too big.

Unless the cats become a problem to humans I can see no reason to to hunt them. So they may take the occassional sheep but as long as the farmer is then compensated for the loss this should not be a problem, they are obviously finding far more suitable prey to live on anyway as the reports of sheep killings are few and far between.

As for the grey squirrel, it is perfectly legal to hunt them ( in scotland at least ) as long as you are in possession of a suitable firearm and licence and have the permission of the landowner. Many farmers I know operate a shoot on sight policy as regards grey squirrels in an effort to preserve our dwindling red squirrel population

I didn't mean that I hunt them. They are pretty much useless for food unless your a pro chef, or so I've heard. But here in New York you can kill them because they carry some disease in their excretion.

That is what the law states regarding dangerous animals, as you can see it only covers animals in captivity being owned by someone, and not anything about the ones in the wild.

There have been several sightings of the 'Black Beast' around where I live.

A local farmer has had several sheep taken by the creature, but is still insistant that he wouldn't shoot it - he is fascinated by it.

There has only been one report of one of these ABC's attacking a human, and that was just a nasty scratch.....we all know it could have been far worse.

So leave these animals well alone.........it would be worng to slaughter them!

Hammy x x x

Hey - I just invented a word - 'worng'!!!!!

I meant 'WRONG' of course...........curse my insomnia dontgetit.gif

Hammy x x x

Just a little hint Hammy, there is an edit button, so if you find any mistakes in your post, you can click edit, which is just above your post, and then you can correct any errors you did.

blimey............there's clever!

of course that's far too sensible for me to do ...... wacko.gif

Hammy x x x

They believe the problem came about in the 1970’s when a new law was passed for private owners being able to hold onto dangerous animals. Because the new laws were strict and stated that anyone holding dangerous animals without a permit would be heavily fined or imprisoned. Soon after there was many sightings, because the owners couldn’t adhere to the stick rules or afford the fines, so they released the animals into the wild, rather than be found holding them.

An old friend of mine was actually in the British newspapers about 4-5 years ago, because he was on Dartmoor, and he spotted an injured full grown lion!!! He followed it in his car, and blocked it into a car park (mad I know) while reporting his location to police, and soon they arrived with a trained handler who tranquillised the lion.

Because they are born in captivity, most can’t fend for themselves. But like all animals they adapt, hence the attacks of sheep! But I believe there now to be offspring from these original animals out there, these have been born and raised in the wild, and are more weary and adapt at killing prey! w00t.gif

Doesn't the abundance of BLACK panther type big cats strike anyone as being rather odd ? Black cats are exceptionally rare in the world, and yet it seems that the majority of sightings of these cats in the UK involve black panthers. How is this possible ? Were a large number of "1970's pets" actually black ? If not, then where does this leave the "pets released into the wild" theory ?

Is it possible that these cats have always been here ?

Chris Low.