Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magikman

Instant Messaging

8 posts in this topic

Gareth,

Have you changed the configuration or size of the instant messaging box within the last couple days? When I access the messages on my computer at home the display box is truncated width wise, cutting off some of the words. I've only just noticed this problem within the last couple days, always displayed correctly before that. I'm using IE 4.0 on my home computer - sound like a compatibility problem?

Magikman

As far as I know nothing has been changed since the last time the forum was upgraded, which was a good while ago now. I've had a look at the Instant Messanger and everything seems to be ok.

It could be something to do with Internet Explorer 4.0, but since you've only had the problem for the last couple of days it seems to rule that out.

Is it completely truncated or can you still view the missing part by scrolling horizontally ?

No, no scroll bar appears, the box always fit in a full window display. In fact, it still does, but its a little more compressed, but there's plenty of open space on the right side, it's just truncated abnormally. It's even cut off access to the reply tab that sits above the message box.

I think it might just be a browser problem of some sort, at times my own browser goes funny and causes display glitches on various sites.

The best way to determine if that's the case, is to try a different browser and see if you still get the problem. If possible, try upgrading to Internet Explorer 5 or 6 and see if that solves it.

I don't know about anyone else, but my private message box doesn't pop-up when I receive a new message. I don't know if it's me rolleyes.gif or what.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem??? dontgetit.gif

Allie,

That sounds like it could be a problem with javascript on your browser.

Make sure you have Javascript enabled in Internet Explorer, because if it's not then that will stop the IM popup box from working.

Also, it could be that you have that particular option turned off in your forum preferences.

To check that, go to 'my controls' and then click 'board settings'. The option "Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?" should be set to 'Yes'.

Hope that helps.

original.gif

that happened to me once, but im sure that it will go away in a few days

Allie,

That sounds like it could be a problem with javascript on your browser.

Make sure you have Javascript enabled in Internet Explorer, because if it's not then that will stop the IM popup box from working.

Also, it could be that you have that particular option turned off in your forum preferences.

To check that, go to 'my controls' and then click 'board settings'. The option "Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?" should be set to 'Yes'.

Hope that helps.

original.gif

Thanks SaRuMaN.

You're so helpful. I always appreciate your help. tongue.gif

You're the BEST!! thumbsup.gif