Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My watch keeps stopping!

dariaru05

then you ElecticMagnetic Field or something like that is high around you, i don't know about those things, but someone else might.

As a matter of fact I do.

I use to have problems with all kinds of appliances around the house, computers, and cash registers at stores screwing up when I was around them. I couldn't wear a watch for more than an hour, because the battery would drain that fast. I have a strong electro-magnetic field, (we all do), in and around our bodies. I learned to wear a watch with a big wide band with the time piece sitting on it, not touching my skin. I learned about my Chakras and how to allign them to have more control over the energy. I am now learning about Energy Healing, and it is real and awesome. Look into it. I figured that if I was wierd and had to deal with excessive energy, there must be a reason, so I continue to explore.

I think it's Bebi's idea about an individual's range of hearing. For me, the very non-electric tinkling that soda makes fizzing against a glass from across the room can drive me nuts. lol No electricity needed. :) My bass range is awful, though. George Clooney sounds like he is talking through a pool of water to me, lol.

If clairvoyants were seeing something a bit into the infrared, you'd think it'd still be noticed. Then again, if one was born seeing like that, how would they know that something is different through their eyes? Maybe it's just picking up on electrical frequencies coming from other people like that whole cosmic switchboard idea. :)

I'm not even sure what my theory is myself LOL both of you sound right to me.

I was about to load UM up a few minutes ago, I'd just sat down and could hear this noise so I had to get up again to go see what it was or it'd have driven me nuts. The kitchen tap was dribbling and I could hear it tinkling into the bowl, I turned it off and came back in. No-one else heard it as the tv was on (quite loud) but I do pick up on these things quite a lot. It can be really quiet, but if it's not in with the "normal" range of noise (that I'm expecting) it'll stick out like a sore thumb. The bubbles in carbonated drinks do my head in too and drips in the attic drive me insane... ^_^ Although saying that I do like the sound of a ticking clock.

Interesting thoughts on sight, something I've also wondered about myself. I watched a program once (Dr Robert Winston, The Human Body) where they showed that as you age the colour receptors in your eyes change slightly, they used some painters (Monet was one I remember) to illustrate this by how their styles change over the years. I can't remember if it was blue to yellow or yellow to blue, but apparantly an elderly person has completely different colour vision to a baby. It's to do with the cones, and which ones die off faster as we get older. Here's a link I found on Wiki that describes what the cones do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

Edited by Bebi

I think that different people are tuned into individual hearing frequencies, I'm not technical in any way so here's where I stop and let someone who knows what they're talking about go into details - if they understand what I'm on about LOL

I think you may be on to something there. My hearing is extremely acute. That's why to me "silence" is like a deafening roar. I can hear the electrical hum of the wiring in our home (at least I assume that's what it is) when the house is quiet. Even the hum of a TV that is turned off. I listen to the TV at a lower volume than most people, but it sounds plenty loud to me. My husband will come in the room and crank the volume up to halfway and to me it's painful.

Ack, Bebi, now I'm worried about whether colors I pick are going to match or not...lol :)

On the subject of hearing, I was just reading about how we hear. Apparently, it's through something called "electromotility". Yep, hearing is electric. I'm searching for something on the subject with regards to hearing range...

Edit: Well, didn't find anything of how a little more electricity might affect one's hearing (no great surprise) but I did find the tone of that high pitch that I hear coming from things. It's 20khz and at the upper limit of human hearing. Supposedly, children should be able to hear it. Hooray for me, I have the ears of a child. Interesting fluctuations at the end of that wav, lol.

http://www.archive.org/details/20kHz_tone

Edited by battleangel

• 2 weeks later...
:angry: This is getting expensive.

I've had 3 watches die in the past month. I've replaced the batteries in all of them and they keep stopping. What's up with this? Anyone else have this happen?

I've bought the batteries at different stores, so I know I haven't just got into a crappy run of batteries. Also, the watches run a little after I have taken them off of my wrist.

Could this be some kind of weird energy thing? This has happened to me before. It goes on for a while and then my watches run again.

Just curious and a little annoyed.....

Hi,

I Just joined here. Although this was posted some time ago the thread has became quite long. lol.

I too can't wear battery operated watches. I had a couple wind up watches when I was younger that stopped working but I think I wound them too tight. I use to wear a watch all the time and stopped for a long time because I got tired of them stopping on me. So recently I got to thinking it may be an issue w/ the batteries. I got onine and set out to find a Wind up watch. Unfortunately the only new one's I found were way too expensive so I got on E-Bay and looked around. I looked and looked and finally ended up getting a Manual wind/ self winding Vintage Timex. I haven't had a problem w/ it stopping yet. It has NO battery. I'm carefull to wind it well but not too much. Once I put it on it uses my body's energy to self wind. It cost me about $20.00 w/ shipping. I plan on looking again and getting a couple more in diff styles just so that I will have them if I want something diff to wear to suit diff occasions.

I too shock my self and others all the time. Especially after I have been in my car. lol. :lol::no:

Usually most of these electrical problems don't effect me, unless I'm in a strange mood. I've noticed depending on my mood my computer will act different. There was this one time about 7 months ago I was in a very distressed mood. I was very depressed/angry and a whole bunch of other emotions bundled up into one that day. I went over to my friends and started noticing that their cell phones wouldn't work around me. Like, when they were near me the cells phones would just get a crapload of static and screaming noises. Also their Xbox 360 kept messing up, along with the TV. Eventually I had enough of it and went for a walk.

.....Just the other day. I was sitting downstairs with the flourescent light and was thinking some pretty intense thoughts.

Well, emotions and thoughts are energy, and when you focus on the energy, usually something will manifest from it.

Have you heard of the study of water crystals by Dr. Emoto? Its basically the study of how words, thoughts, emotions can affect the form of the water crystals.

https://www.hado.net/watercrystals/index.php

Well, emotions and thoughts are energy, and when you focus on the energy, usually something will manifest from it.

Have you heard of the study of water crystals by Dr. Emoto? Its basically the study of how words, thoughts, emotions can affect the form of the water crystals.

https://www.hado.net/watercrystals/index.php

Mr Emoto does not a have an accreditted doctorite, the prefix Dr. is not applicable from him.

Emotions are the results of chemical reactions in the brain, hence hormones have such an effect on people. You would be better looking into the field of endocrinology for inbformation in this field.

Emotions are the results of chemical reactions in the brain, hence hormones have such an effect on people.

I am aware such...Chemicals, hormones, etc. are energy to me at least. As there are various forms of energy produced from each state of being, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual, and all states will trigger the other as they are connected.

I am aware such...Chemicals, hormones, etc. are energy to me at least. As there are various forms of energy produced from each state of being, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual, and all states will trigger the other as they are connected.

I'd have to go with just chemical, every thought, feeling you have, everything you touch are the result of chemical reactions. These reactions does transfer energy (as all reactions do) but it is usually released in heat energy while the product is produced.

I personally do not believe in a spiritual state, just physical, sorry.

However "Dr." Emoto is not a good source of information, his phd is not recognised anywhere.

Edited by Mattshark

I've had 3 watches die in the past month. I've replaced the batteries in all of them and they keep stopping. What's up with this? Anyone else have this happen?

I've bought the batteries at different stores, so I know I haven't just got into a crappy run of batteries. Also, the watches run a little after I have taken them off of my wrist.

Could this be some kind of weird energy thing? This has happened to me before. It goes on for a while and then my watches run again.

May i suggest you stop buying stuff from a market stall....hope this helps.

My mother, sister and myself are all watch serial killers :D And our problem sounds very much like yours. The one thing the three of us have in common is that we're very anemic. I have no idea if this contributes to the issue, but it seems to be the one thing we do have in common (other than our standard genetics).

We did find a solution though, and buying a better quality watch was the solution, and when I say better, I mean jewelry quality.

Every Guess, Fossil, Seiko, Boliva, etc... died on us within weeks even after battery replacement. I don't know what the deal is, but I do know once we started purchasing brands (typically Swiss) the problem stopped. I have a Baume & Mercier, my sister and mother both wear Movado's. You'll spend $1000 for a watch, but it won't die on you. You might try the ESQ brand, it's made by Movado and it's affordable (they have always worked for me). If that works, you can step up to something nicer. Although I like ESQ, I think the quality is every bit as good as Movado. Oh, and don't be surprised if your watch dies within the first few weeks after purchasing it. The watch makers put in 1/4 charged batteries to keep their costs low. It's quite the racket.

My mother stumbled on this solution when an aunt left her an Omega watch when she died. It was the first watch that didn't give up the ghost on her when she wore it.

Oh someone mentioned Nickel too... many people have an allergy to nickel, I know I do. Sterling is frequently alloyed with nickel and you can break out in a rash from it if your sensitive. Metals other than sterling are also alloyed with nickel. I resolved this issue by coating any pendants or rings with clear nail polish on all the places the metal may come into contact with my skin. It works pretty good.

Also, the problem with Sterling turning your skin black is caused by acidic skin oils, sterling reacts to it and leaves an icky black residue. If you like sterling but have a problem with it, try finding rhodium plated sterling... it won't tarnish and won't cause a rash.

Edited by MissMelsWell

How odd....this happens to my mother in law. She won't wear a watch now because of it.

Another strange thing, my dad noticed that street lights always go out when he passes under them...and then go back on after he is fairly far ahead (and he does not believe in anything paranormal whatsoever)

I've noticed that those wretched automatic sinks in the restrooms at large stores (the ones with sensors) never work for me....before I finally accepted this I was stuck with soap on my hands a few times...I have to wait around and ask someone else in the restroom to activate the sensor for me. <_<

I also have a problem with silver, I'm only allergic to it in my ears (earrings) but when I wear rings or necklaces I get that black residue. I also tarnish the actual jewellery too - all my silver stuff is turning black. I found stainless steel is fine with me (I have a nice stainless steel ring set with abalone) I'm becoming intolerant to gold in my ears now, which is annoying.

I also have a problem with silver, I'm only allergic to it in my ears (earrings) but when I wear rings or necklaces I get that black residue. I also tarnish the actual jewellery too - all my silver stuff is turning black. I found stainless steel is fine with me (I have a nice stainless steel ring set with abalone) I'm becoming intolerant to gold in my ears now, which is annoying.

Nearly pure silver will tarnish naturally no matter what (think about when you open Granny's heirloom silverware, it's always black and you have to clean it). There are tarnish cleaner cloths you can buy that buff jewelry up nicely... a jeweler may even give you one if you ask for it. Once your silver is all buffed up and sparkly, you shouldn't have a problem with it turning black immediately when you wear it unless you're prone to having acidic skin oils. Then it will blacken up right away. About the only way to fix this problem might be through diet under your doctor's care.

It's no surprise that stainless works for you, it's not a metal that people react to, hence the reason they make surgical instruments out of it :-) If you like jewelry, and worry about reactions, try wearing Titanium! Lots of jewelry artisans are using Titanium in their designs, and it's a safe metal that few if any people are allergic to (surgeons frequently use titanium for permanent pins, staples, and clamps inside a patients body) Gold is another issue that might be related to Nickel sensitivity. Very few if any people have an allergy to pure gold, but the alloys used in gold can be a problem... try avoiding 10 and 14K gold and take the plunge into 18K, you might find that you have no problem with it.

Is it really obvious I love jewelry? :lol:

I've noticed that those wretched automatic sinks in the restrooms at large stores (the ones with sensors) never work for me....before I finally accepted this I was stuck with soap on my hands a few times...I have to wait around and ask someone else in the restroom to activate the sensor for me

I know the answer to this one too! I'm on a roll here! We have these stupid auto sensor things at my office... they usually work early in the morning, but by 1 or 2 in the afternoon the bloody things won't turn on... Why? The sensor is all cruddy with soap residue and water spots. You have to take a wet papertowel and wipe it off, then dry it throughly. What a pain. Whoever came up with these things was tippin' the Captain Morgans or something.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Hallo

Since I was a teenager, I started have strange problems similar to almost everything in this thread, I've always been curious about why? Except that streetlights haven't shut themselves off just for me. I used to ruin watches if I wore them, sometimes fairly expensive ones. After a month, sometimes two, they would start gaining a lot of extra time and then cease working. New batteries never helped. So I carry a small pocket watch instead, it's lasted a long time.

I'm allergic to most metals, with the exception of titanium and maybe niobium. I can wear 14k yellow gold earrings during the day, because there aren't too many alternatives, but then my ears need to rest. My skin corrodes the copper in the other 10k of the gold, eventually, though metal polish works to restore it. I'm not very compatible with white gold or silver, and especially not with stainless steel. So for things besides earrings, I usually wear beaded jewelry. My dentists used to try fixing my teeth with silver amalgam fillings, but they left me with the taste of electricity in my mouth like that science class experiment where you connect two wires between a lemon and your tongue, and all except one of the fillings eventually dissolved. So now it's non-metal fillings, which leaves me feeling healthier.

I'm occasionally electrical, too. I've built up static charges that were painful when they discharged, and there have been incidents of my effecting electronic equipment. Once when I touched a metal shelf that a cell phone was sitting on, which left the phone non-functional, and several times that I've touched the outsides of computer cases, causing them to spontaneously reboot. I've never had my static charges measured, though there was once when a service technician came to a place I was working at, and we were all pleasantly joking around just before lunch. The technician had brought an oscilliscope with him, and one of the other girls had small electric waves when she touched one probe with each hand, which he said shouldn't happen. So we passed the probes around, and I was the only other one who made the oscilliscope do that, my waves were even worse than hers.

Hope this wasn't boring :blush:

Hey course it wasn't boring, and welcome to UM :tu:

You've made me realise something, fillings don't last long with me either. I'm not sure if they dissolve or not, but they fall out within 6 months (even ones that have been drilled first)

Gold for me turns black where it passes through my ears.

Slightly off topic - I'm thinking of starting a specific section on my forum dedicated just to people like us. If anyone's interested the link is in my sig :)

(give me a few minutes to set it up though lol)

I've now killed hubby's computer :ph34r:

Yesterday we had my parents round and my step dad asked if he could go on eBay. I sat at the main pc and clicked on internet explorer and everything hung. I restarted it and now it won't reboot at all... Eep! I'm not his favourite person right now LOL

Nearly pure silver will tarnish naturally no matter what (think about when you open Granny's heirloom silverware, it's always black and you have to clean it). There are tarnish cleaner cloths you can buy that buff jewelry up nicely... a jeweler may even give you one if you ask for it. Once your silver is all buffed up and sparkly, you shouldn't have a problem with it turning black immediately when you wear it unless you're prone to having acidic skin oils. Then it will blacken up right away. About the only way to fix this problem might be through diet under your doctor's care.

It's no surprise that stainless works for you, it's not a metal that people react to, hence the reason they make surgical instruments out of it :-) If you like jewelry, and worry about reactions, try wearing Titanium! Lots of jewelry artisans are using Titanium in their designs, and it's a safe metal that few if any people are allergic to (surgeons frequently use titanium for permanent pins, staples, and clamps inside a patients body) Gold is another issue that might be related to Nickel sensitivity. Very few if any people have an allergy to pure gold, but the alloys used in gold can be a problem... try avoiding 10 and 14K gold and take the plunge into 18K, you might find that you have no problem with it.

Is it really obvious I love jewelry? :lol:

I know the answer to this one too! I'm on a roll here! We have these stupid auto sensor things at my office... they usually work early in the morning, but by 1 or 2 in the afternoon the bloody things won't turn on... Why? The sensor is all cruddy with soap residue and water spots. You have to take a wet papertowel and wipe it off, then dry it throughly. What a pain. Whoever came up with these things was tippin' the Captain Morgans or something.

It should also be noted that silver is also quite poisonous.

It should also be noted that silver is also quite poisonous.

I don't know that silver is "poisonous" per se. But it is good (so some say) at killing bacteria and alge--which I suppose in a way makes it poisonous. Back when I was born in 1967, they used to put silver nitrate in newborns eyes to prevent infection. My very first baby picture is a photo with this junk in my eyes but I believe they stopped this practice in the USA sometime in the 70's. There are also swimming pool and hottub filters that contain silver for the express function of controlling bacteria and alge. I had one at my old house for my pool and it worked quite well. After installing it, I didn't even have to chlorinate the water (I think the brand was Vision Clear?).

I can't say why people have the problem of killing watches and other (maybe) electrical issues. I know I do. To me, it seems that it's a problem that more often than not affects women. I've always wondered if it has something to do with a persons iron levels. My mother sister and I have always been iron poor, and all three of us have this perplexing problem of zapping watches and an insane abillity to generate a lot of static electricity. I never work on the inside of a computer without a ground strap.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Hey course it wasn't boring, and welcome to UM :tu:

You've made me realise something, fillings don't last long with me either. I'm not sure if they dissolve or not, but they fall out within 6 months (even ones that have been drilled first)

Gold for me turns black where it passes through my ears.

Slightly off topic - I'm thinking of starting a specific section on my forum dedicated just to people like us. If anyone's interested the link is in my sig :)

(give me a few minutes to set it up though lol)

Thank you :D

Ceramic or non-metallic fillings do very well though. After I saw that you named your forum section "Electric People", I did a web search on it and found that a few other people across the net have had the same idea. It's very interesting. Though I noticed that most of the articles on the subject are so sceptical that they have us "claiming" to have a problem with static electricity. It certainly seems physically plausible enough that their doubts seem undeserved. Well, perhaps the commonly added subject about the streetlights might appear a bit amazing, but the static charges and metal problems should be fairly mundane.

Edited by msadventures

Heh it's just a temporary name for the moment, I honestly can't think of anything else ^_^ I'm hoping mine will end up being more geared to help and support for those affected by this.

I wonder if electrical people are more prone to having trouble in thunder storms. So far, I've nearly been struck by lightening on two occasions. The first time, it struck the pavement in a parking lot, at about 10-12 meters from where I was standing, leaving a raised reversed-crater in the pavement and strange meandering scorch marks on the ground which lasted for many months. The second time, it ignored the lightening rod where I live and blew a hole in my bedroom wall, and in the garage roof a short distance away. I'd known the storm was coming, so all the electronic devices were disconnected, but still most everything was damaged in some way or another. I must say, I felt very odd sensations both times.

I don't know that silver is "poisonous" per se. But it is good (so some say) at killing bacteria and alge--which I suppose in a way makes it poisonous. Back when I was born in 1967, they used to put silver nitrate in newborns eyes to prevent infection. My very first baby picture is a photo with this junk in my eyes but I believe they stopped this practice in the USA sometime in the 70's. There are also swimming pool and hottub filters that contain silver for the express function of controlling bacteria and alge. I had one at my old house for my pool and it worked quite well. After installing it, I didn't even have to chlorinate the water (I think the brand was Vision Clear?).

I can't say why people have the problem of killing watches and other (maybe) electrical issues. I know I do. To me, it seems that it's a problem that more often than not affects women. I've always wondered if it has something to do with a persons iron levels. My mother sister and I have always been iron poor, and all three of us have this perplexing problem of zapping watches and an insane abillity to generate a lot of static electricity. I never work on the inside of a computer without a ground strap.

Silver is most definatly poisonous. Really. You should never have a silver facial piercing for example, it is dangerous.

Getting odder by the moment-

It appears I may be slightly magnetic as well. Today during a disagreement about which way is south, due to a neighbor placing a satellite mini-dish on our garage ... I happened to be holding a magnetic compass, and no matter which direction I faced in, "north" pointed to me. Though if I stood directly to the south of the compass, it was a bit hesitant. The needle also followed my hands, but more weakly.

Hey this reminds me of something that happened to me a couple of weeks back. I was making myself a cappucino (instant, out of a packet), I stirred it then went to put the spoon back in and the swirling of the top stopped dead when the spoon got near it (not touching it). I caled hubby and his brother in from the room and showed them. They tried the same with no result at all.

Also, when I put in and take out plugs they crackle and spark. Again, hubby's tried this with no result. It's getting annoying now...