Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

James Bond: The books vs. The movies

Byuu94

I have read many of the james bond novels, and often find them better than the movies. Many of the movies were altered to seem more modern. Some had nothing to do with the books ( The Man with the Golden Gun is a good example).

Tell me what you think.

post-5-1064183046.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Byuu94

• Engulf

• Seraphina

• Benjo Koolzooie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neither the books nor the movies are good.sorry but just not a Bond fan... sad.gif

Just wondering. Why is The Man with the Golden Gun nothing like the Movie?

Just wondering. tongue.gif

Just wondering. Why is  The Man with the Golden Gun nothing like the Movie?

Just wondering. tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

Man with the Golden Gun is about Bond redeming himself. In the begining of the story he is captured and brainwashed by the russians. He then attempts to murder M with a pen filled with acid. MI6 manages to get bond therapy, and send him off on a mission. If bond succeds the, "incident" will be forgoten and he'll go back to work as usual. However if he fails, MI6 won't have to worry about him any more.

The major differences are:

1. the book takes place in Jamacia - the movie is in China

2. the movie has nick-nack, book doesn't

3. Scaramanga is building a solar-powered weapon in the movie, In the book he is working for the KGB in jamacia.

4. In the movie Scaramanga acts like a hitman, in the book he acts like a outlaw.

Most of the movies after Sean Connery don't resemble the books.

Go here to find more here

The films are ironic.

I mean, doesn't Connery look OLDER than Brosnan?

Its all wrong.

Oh, and so does the old and new moneypenny.

She used to look about 50, now she looks 30s

In the books the time between each novel is relatively short (usually less than a year). There were usually two years separating each movie. (six years between License to Kill and Goldeneye) What makes me angry is that the actors/actresses don't know when to stop. Sean Connery was too old in Diamonds are Forever, Moore was too old in A View to a Kill, and I thought Brosnan was too old in Die Another Day. (Brosnan was originaly supposed to be in the Living Daylights, but stared in the Remington Steele tv series, which was shortly cancelled thereafter.)

Poor Gorge Lazenby should have been in another movie. sad.gif

post-5-1064436689.jpg

Lazenby = worst James bond ever

Sean Connery = God. Brosnan's not bad...but I still think Sean Connery IS James Bond.

Anyway...the reason the movies are different is because they have to be adapted to a more universal audiance. The fact that the movies are so much more successful than the books shows that they probably managed it (doubts the casual teenager watching a James Bond movie even knows it IS based on a series of books).

Unfortunately...Die Another Day was...really...really bad huh.gif They're probably running out of ideas...

I agree - they're running out of ideas.

They might have different characters and environments but...

... in essence they're the same, over and over and over again.

wacko.gif

They've still got good ideas, but they don't use them. Korea is a good setting, because of the war/DMZ. The best scene in die another day was the swordfight.

As for george lazenby he gets less credit than he deserves, because he was the first actor to replace Connery. Quite often scenes are taken from other books and put in a new movie.("he disargeed with something that ate him" scene was in Live and Let Die, but was put in License to Kill.) I would like to see Blofeld in a new movie, (I choose Patrick Stewart)and bond finally get revenge for Tracy's murder.

Another thing is that the stories often have huge holes in them. In Goldeneye 006 is in his thirties, he's not old enough to be a lienz cosack.

The producers/script writers try to make the movies exciting. They're usually the ones with the bad ideas. They make up a preposterous story about a super weapon that is used to hold the world ransom, then they take the title from a book and put james bond in there. The best movies were taken directly from the novels. (Dr.No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, OHMSS, and Live and Let Die.)

in true idiotic fashion, they actually killed of Blofeld in truely anticlimactic fashion in the first ten minutes of one of the movies....I think it was whichever one came after Diamonds Are Forever, but don't quote me on it..

I still think the best Blofeld was the first one...that little bald guy with the deformed eye...he just did the evil mastermind skit so well grin2.gif

That scene was many movies after diamonds are forever, in For Your Eyes Only.

That may or may not have been blofeld. The credits listed him as "man in wheelchair". Besides if that was him they killed him off in the dumbest way possible. In you only live twice Charles Gray plays Dikko Henderson, who is killed early on. In diamonds are forever Charles Gray plays blofeld. It's wierd cause I keep thinking he died already, but they are different characters. The reason Donald Plesence (1st Blofeld) didn't play blofeld in OHMSS is cause bond and blofeld fight hand-to-hand, and he wouldn't put up much of a fight.

What I would like to see is bond getting revenge on blofeld for tracy's death. At least that is a better idea than die another day's plot.

woa woa woa woa WOA! Back up...

Die Another Day had a plot!?