Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black "orb"?

Bebi

Hi Jay, To the best of my knowledge red orbs are spirits who have passed from overdosing or suicide. Secondly, black orbs are contraversal, but I tend to feel they can be negative, but that remains to be seen. So safe to assume you possibly have 2 spirits around you and your wife, one who possibly took his own life and another that may be miserable in death as he was in life. Try taking some pics sometimes when either one of you feel a presence. Lastly do you know the history of the house? JN

Thanks for the reply Just Normal!

Are your impressions of the colors based on general emotional coloring, such as when seeing auras, or intuition, or something else? Is there somewhere I can see a list of orb colors and their meanings? I saw that someone else had said earlier in this thread that the colors of the orbs aren't very important because most spirits can change their own appearance. To me, it would seem that the colors would mean something. I do want to take pictures, but so far my wife is against it, because she thinks that if something shows up in the pictures, she might not ever be able to sleep here again.

I should probably add that even though I felt safe when I actually saw the orb, later that night I had a few nightmares, which is Extremely unusual for me. I haven't had actual nightmares in years. I don't know if these nightmares were caused by a general anxiety over "something strange" being in my room, or the feeling that I was being watched all night, or something else.

The history of this place:

We live in a three-bedroom apartment. This building is old. Lots of people have lived here before us, and a few of them died here. I don't know the details of the deaths. Just before we moved in, they tore down the wall at the end of the hall between two of the two-bedroom apartments to make this "deluxe three-bedroom" apartment and a one-bedroom apartment on the other side of us. Because our sleep schedules are so different, we sleep in two different rooms. Her room is the bedroom that used to be part of the other apartment. Mine is part of our main apartment. The rooms are right next to each other, and our beds are right next to each other with just a wall between us. There has been a lot of activity in her room, especially within the last couple of years. I've experienced activity in my room three times now (including the orb), one of which felt like something reached through the wall and touched my arm while I was sleeping, and one which sounded like a man's voice whispering directly into my ear.

Hi Again Jay, I base my opinion on experience and research, and can only speak for myself. If orbs only showed up on Digital Cameras, then they could be explained, but when we see them with the naked eye, that cannot be denied. I have seen one red one, a yellow one, a green one and some black ones..I honestly believe that orbs seen such as yours and mine are spirits manifesting, and even for many, that is all the energy they are able to create. MANY will argue that, but thats okay. What kind of activity has your wife been experiencing? Also I can understand why taking pics would scare her. The fact the home was renovated, "could" mean when that was done, it disturbed resting spirits, which is why both of you see things and you are having that kind of activity. The red one I saw, I knew who it was and he had died of an overdose/suicide, and the yellow meant warning, which actually was helpful and I dont know about green, but it got larger and larger then POOF gone. All I can suggest to you at this point is, either ignore the activity, if you can OR possibly have the place blessed by the Clergy of your choice, as that may help the spirits move on. I know it all seems surreal when this happens, but try not to worry, and praying for their souls helps you and them. Do you have any pets that are reacting to this or children? Here is a list I have of colored orbs, however I disagree with a few LOL..Keep us posted..JN

What are Orbs and What Is The Meaning Of Their Colors

Thanks for the link! I'll have to do more reading about this. One thing about their description of the meaning of the colors is that some colors that are similar have extremely different meanings. The red orb I saw was Bright Red, which seems to match Clear Red more than Red in the chart.

My wife's experiences started with a male voice that would say her name in the middle of the night. This happened a few times with a month or two in between them. Then, it touched her on the shoulder. Then it gently shook the bed. It did these two things several times, with a long time between each occurrence, but getting more frequent over time. Eventually, it started shaking the bed a bit more forcefully, and once it touched her foot. It seemed to me that it was politely trying to get her attention / wake her up, starting with the shoulder, where most people are fairly comfortable being touched. Then, as it became more familiar to her, the activity increased in both intensity and frequency. One night, she woke up and saw a mist in the corner of the room. She leaves her lights on at night, and saw it very clearly. It was swirling slightly, then it dissipated. A few months ago, she said she heard the voice more clearly than she had ever heard it before, and it said, "Pay attention."

One time, after an intense experience, she slept on the couch, so I slept in her room. About two hours into my sleep, I both felt and heard a very forceful slap on the end of the bed, as if a person were standing next to the bed and brought their open palm down on it with full force. Of course I instantly snapped fully awake, and I saw nothing there. The room was brightly lit.

We'll be keeping a log on our site. I'll post here again the next time something happens.

Edited by JayUnity

Thanks for the link! I'll have to do more reading about this. One thing about their description of the meaning of the colors is that some colors that are similar have extremely different meanings. The red orb I saw was Bright Red, which seems to match Clear Red more than Red in the chart.

My wife's experiences started with a male voice that would say her name in the middle of the night. This happened a few times with a month or two in between them. Then, it touched her on the shoulder. Then it gently shook the bed. It did these two things several times, with a long time between each occurrence, but getting more frequent over time. Eventually, it started shaking the bed a bit more forcefully, and once it touched her foot. It seemed to me that it was politely trying to get her attention / wake her up, starting with the shoulder, where most people are fairly comfortable being touched. Then, as it became more familiar to her, the activity increased in both intensity and frequency. One night, she woke up and saw a mist in the corner of the room. She leaves her lights on at night, and saw it very clearly. It was swirling slightly, then it dissipated. A few months ago, she said she heard the voice more clearly than she had ever heard it before, and it said, "Pay attention."

One time, after an intense experience, she slept on the couch, so I slept in her room. About two hours into my sleep, I both felt and heard a very forceful slap on the end of the bed, as if a person were standing next to the bed and brought their open palm down on it with full force. Of course I instantly snapped fully awake, and I saw nothing there. The room was brightly lit.

We'll be keeping a log on our site. I'll post here again the next time something happens.

Yea that link isnt totally accurate as far as I am concerned but that's all I had to show you. It seems obvious whoever it/they are surely want your wife's attention, thats a given. Who it is, is unknown as is what it wants besides the attention. It sounds like an intelligent spirit in the way it communicates, and interacts so clearly with her. The fact it woke you in sort of the same nature it makes me feel it's attached to that room. Some spirits do not know they are dead, so they become frustrated as to why you are in their space, and may get angry as well. Apparently due to it's behavior, it does not want either of you in its room, hence shaking the bed, as if to say "this is my bed." Of course this is simply my opinion, but its pretty obvious, to be honest. Good idea on keeping a log of dates and times, that may help in the long term. As I said, if you are religious in any way, praying for their soul, and that they move on can be beneficial JMO..JN :yes:

Yea that link isnt totally accurate as far as I am concerned but that's all I had to show you. It seems obvious whoever it/they are surely want your wife's attention, thats a given. Who it is, is unknown as is what it wants besides the attention. It sounds like an intelligent spirit in the way it communicates, and interacts so clearly with her. The fact it woke you in sort of the same nature it makes me feel it's attached to that room. Some spirits do not know they are dead, so they become frustrated as to why you are in their space, and may get angry as well. Apparently due to it's behavior, it does not want either of you in its room, hence shaking the bed, as if to say "this is my bed." Of course this is simply my opinion, but its pretty obvious, to be honest. Good idea on keeping a log of dates and times, that may help in the long term. As I said, if you are religious in any way, praying for their soul, and that they move on can be beneficial JMO..JN :yes:

Thanks again for your insights and advice, JN! We've had similar thoughts, and other theories. Right now we're mainly just observing. We only recently began telling a couple of close friends about it. When I saw the red orb, it was so striking and unusual that it got me to search and post on the internet about it. Now that I've started, though, I plan to make more of a habit of it. It makes me wonder how many people have paranormal experiences and just never talk about them.

Thanks again for your insights and advice, JN! We've had similar thoughts, and other theories. Right now we're mainly just observing. We only recently began telling a couple of close friends about it. When I saw the red orb, it was so striking and unusual that it got me to search and post on the internet about it. Now that I've started, though, I plan to make more of a habit of it. It makes me wonder how many people have paranormal experiences and just never talk about them.

Anytime Jay! Great, keep us posted. I remember in the very beginning I thought no one could see orbs with the naked eye, and that I was alone as well. Now I find, its much more common than I ever could have imagined. Its great having sites such as this one, so that people can share, and dont have to feel alone or think they are going crazy. I cannot imagine how many out there, never talked about activity, and just either live with it, or simply move. We would never get the stats on any of these, but sure would be interesting..Take care..JN

JMHO-- "seeing" or capturing a "black orb or mist" DOES NOT EQUATE EVIL!! ok there... JMHO :)

PS: there is no proof that different colors or hues mean ANYTHING. All of that is pure speculation.

JMHO-- "seeing" or capturing a "black orb or mist" DOES NOT EQUATE EVIL!! ok there... JMHO :)

PS: there is no proof that different colors or hues mean ANYTHING. All of that is pure speculation.

hi She-ra,

i have not assumed that the black orb was evil. i have seen a shadow pweson and there is a different scence then a ghost and i get the same feeling when i incountered the black orb. have oever seen one? if so let me know what inpreshions you got.

thanks for your reply,

angie

I never told Jay it equates to evil but more negative, and that was my opinion. Seems consistent with his haunting as well. Actually anything we write here is our opinion or speculation. Welcome back.JN

I never told Jay it equates to evil but more negative, and that was my opinion. Seems consistent with his haunting as well. Actually anything we write here is our opinion or speculation. Welcome back.JN

Oh no many have referred to that. It's quite a misconception ((in my belief's)).

Glad to be back :)

• 7 months later...

One night I had gone to bed early,My husband was in the front room watching t.v. I just gone to bed and pulled the covers on.I allways sleep with the bathroom light on and it lights up my bedroom.I am all so a veary light sleeper it takes me for ever to go to sleep.But this just happend as soon as i pulled the covers over me.i could fill something coming up the side of my bed under my covers.Will I did not think anything of it for I thought that it was the dog,untill it pushed into my side hard,and then I had to take two of my hands and with force push what ever it was off me.It finley let go of my side and went back out the way it came in and that's where I seen what it was.It was a black orb as big as a soft ball sold looking,and the bathroom light shined on it it looked black but all sparkly from the bathroom light.it went kinda fast and into my closet where it was dark,I then scream for my husband,I was freekin out!I now sleep with the closet door shut.If someone could let me know what it was, what it was trying to do or what it wanted please let me know. thanks, flowers

Edited by flowers

yes its something to do with the vision cos i see such black orbs, of all sizes, all the time. they usually appear when i stare at a bright light (like a computer screen) for a long time, then look at something very much darker. and when i move my eyes around the black orb will appear and float to wherever i look at.

nothing paranormal at all. sometimes i also see flashes of light (like lightning) and bright colorful spots darting around my vision. note that this only occurs after prolonged exposure to a bright source of light.

flowers:

That's a very intense experience! Remember that whatever it was, you were able to control the situation, so there's probably no reason at all to be afraid. It could have been a spirit or something else. I wouldn't assign a definite “good” or “bad” meaning to it without more information. It didn't cause you any harm, and as soon as it made you uncomfortable, you were able to get it off of you. I would agree that unless it was a complete and powerful hallucination, it's almost certainly something paranormal. No known object or energy would move in such purposeful ways without intelligence or intelligent guidance. It might have simply been curious. If you do have any similar experiences, then you might need to take protective action, though it's very possible that you'll never encounter it or anything like it again.

Ashiene:

Please don't assume that you know what other people are seeing. You are correct that what you are seeing is not paranormal in any way. While it is true that some people see normal things and think they're paranormal, most thinking people who have a paranormal experience study the details of it carefully and relate it to any known normal phenomena to rule them out before declaring it as a paranormal experience.

Ashiene, you are describing two very common and normal visual phenomena. The first one is is called an after image, which is when you look at something, then look away and see a negative image of it. If you look at a bright light, it will create an after image of a dark spot. Almost everyone knows about this from childhood onward and would discount it immediately and never describe it as paranormal.

The second thing you are describing is usually referred to as “eye floaters” or “floaties.” This is where you are seeing miscellaneous debris and malformations floating in the vitreous fluid of your eye. Most people have at least some of these in their eyes at all times, though the brain learns to ignore them. They can be easily seen when you look at a bright blue sky. They can appear as vague translucent shapes, dark shapes, or even cause the illusion or refraction of flashes of bright light. Floaters are perfectly normal and not a sign of an eye problem unless many of them appear suddenly. Remember that just because you never looked for them before does not mean that they suddenly appeared if you look for them now. There are certain eye problems that can also cause flashes of light. Some of these problems might require medical attention.

When you're reading someone's description of what they claim is a paranormal experience, remember that they've probably already discounted anything normal. Read it carefully and look for clues that let you know whether it was likely a true paranormal experience or something else. For example, what flowers saw and described was obviously not an after image or an eye floater, because it physically touched her under the covers before she even saw it. Since you missed this extremely important clue, I'm thinking that you probably didn't even bother to read her entire post, let alone any other posts in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the earliest orb stories mention the ability to change color but it is supposedly a rare event. And a black orb is certainly rare but they exist or at least did once upon a time.

If your friend overreacted during this event, i.e. freaked out, and if this is not your friends eyes, or mind, playing tricks then you are unlikely to see anything again. Orbs prefer to cause their mischief without being seen. At least so I've been told since I cannot say I've seen any orbs :) (I've always had a glazing ball in my yard).

• 1 year later...

I see purple and yellow dots when i rub my eyes.

wow, sure is alot of people "diggin up bones" here lately. this thread's from 2006.

*Hides the bones* Hey! I was burying these bones here before they came along! LOL

Anywho, in relations to the apparent 'recent black orb' image, it could be something in the back of the fireplace maybe? Maybe even an issue with the camera. Would you be able to give more information about it? Maybe what you felt, saw, etc...?

• 1 month later...

You are not going to beleive what im about to tell you Bebi. but I had an almost identical experience as the on you just described except for the fact that it happened to me when I was about 15 or 16 years old,I am now 45,,I would have never believed what I saw if it wasn't for the fact that another person who was there with me saw the same black orb as I did.It what it makes even more surreal is that I too sitting on a recliner seat and my friend Kim was sitting on the couch next to me, Any way we were talking,but I was not staring at her,I was looking staring towards my kitchen,which separated from the room I was sitting at suddenly out of no where I see this black orb with fuzzy edges,I mean this thing was as black as you can imagine,it was the size of softball or grape fruit maybe a one inch larger in diameter,it moved towards me but suddenly stopped at the glass sliding door that stood between my kitchen an my Den, (were we were at)it could not & did not go through the glass but did find an opening, for the sliding door was not completely shut.it came between both of us and went behind the couch were my friend was sitting,we both just stared at each other for a second or so,then we both jumped to our feet afraid of what it was we just saw,,,anyways I look behind the couch & there was nothing,nothing at all....

what amazes me now that I am older and know a little more about science and physics is that this this black ORB did not have or appeared to have INERTIA ,for when it came to the sliding glass door it just stopped made an almost instant 90 degrees and found a path were it could continue moving,,it moved 30 feet or so within 2.5 seconds from the moment i saw it till it disappeared..anyways email me lets compare notes I really want to know what I saw.. it still haunts me to this day

It can be an efreet which was passing thru. I ve heard that efreets have some sort of mark that they dont emit light. So the other beings understand that he or she is an efreet. Hopefully it was passing thru...

I want to buy a house but i have a picture in the basement of a black orb and I kinda get scared of those kind of things. Ugh it wont let me upload it. http://i39.tinypic.com/2ed5c13.jpg What do you guys think??

orbs are just dust, or other particles basically getting illuminated by light.

You are not going to beleive what im about to tell you Bebi. but I had an almost identical experience as the on you just described except for the fact that it happened to me when I was about 15 or 16 years old.....anyways email me lets compare notes I really want to know what I saw.. it still haunts me to this day

I doubt you'll get an answer x3mfk, Bebi posted her story four years ago.

But anyway, thanks for telling us your experience, still very interesting!

• 1 month later...

i have encountered what you have descibed but i will not go indepth here. the last i heard it has something to do with a curse from south america, egypt and australia (correct me if im wrong). its a an orb thats black and fuzzy around the sides because it is moving. and looks like it is glitching if so reply.

please help me. i saw this yesterdday ina field near a well... i live in montreal and ive been having things happening lately . the other day i was walking out my door and a raven just was sitting there in the middle of my driveway just outside on the street and stared at me for seconds then flew int o the tree near my beside my house and watched me as i awalked away.it was like waiting for me outside ... then i went back to the well ... and asked for things to occur. in the distance i saaw this blck fuzzy thing ... bout the size of like a beachball maybe less or more it was so black evryt6hing arounf it that was black was like nothing ... iit was REALLY blck ... and it moved extremely slowly like hovering i could say ... glitching like u would say ... please email me or somthing . i need to know wats happening . a storm has been floating over me for three days now... its sunny evrywhre else i dont understand... im scared

• The topic was locked