Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Collision Course

Lonecat

I suppose some people are aware that our world is on a collision course with another "Heavenly body". I don't think it is going to affect the stock market or cause people to stock up on food and weaponry because it's not due to happen for quite a while.

Our galaxy which we call the "Milky Way"is on a collision course with the larger Andromeda galaxy and then there will be fireworks! That's in a few billion years time of course. Read all about it by clicking on the link below, from Space dot com. LONECAT :yes:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astr...s_020507-1.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Pax Unum

• War-Junkie

• Lonecat

yeah I remember this.

Andremeda and Milky way will collide and the suns will collapse. Oh well, pour me a beer and give me some peanuts cause I'll be hitchhiking on a spaceship with my towel!!!

our own Milky Way and its larger neighbor Andromeda, slated to collide in a few billion years.... :o

well, I better get out to the store and stock up... :D

The suns will not collapse. There is a vast amount of space between the stars. Very few will collide.

The suns will not collapse. There is a vast amount of space between the stars. Very few will collide.

thanks for the reassurance.... but, I'm still banking on the BILLIONS of years involved... :D

• 2 months later...

that would b so cool we would see new constlations and change are old ones maby?

The constellations as we know them will have long disappeared and been replaced by new ones before the Milky Way merges with Andromeda.

Stars move in relation in relation to each other, so constellations are (by astronomical terms) only temporary affairs.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

isnt a temperary effect in astrological terms like a million years or something

yea arent we seeing the li8ght from like a billion years ago so couldent they already be changed? the constlations

isnt a temperary effect in astrological terms like a million years or something

This is astronomy not astrology, but yes a million years is a short time in astronomy.

yea arent we seeing the light from like a billion years ago so couldent they already be changed? the constlations

Constellations are just patterns in the sky made by the stars. The constellations can not have already changed as they are specific to where you are and when you are. The stars that make up the constellations can be hundreds of light years away, not billions (only the most distant galaxies are billions of light years away and they are not visible to the naked-eye).

There is no real association between the stars in a constellation, two stars which appear to be next to each other can, in fact, be at very different distances from earth. If you could travel to a planet around a distant star you would see none of the constellations specific to us.

When galaxies collide, very few celestial bodies collide, but the gravity does. This warps the galaxies, sending some stars hurling into the dark interstellar space.