Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stream of Consciousness

snuffypuffer

Today, I want to talk about what got me into the paranormal to begin with, what’s gotten my checking in on the latest sightings, theories, pictures, what hqave you. To put it simply, I like a good story. It’s like back in the stone age, when everyone sat around a campfire and listened to tall tales from the hunting party, only instead of the mammoth hunt the stories are about UFOs and things that go bunp in the night. For me, it’s a sort of addiction, like sex or Pringles, you always end up wanting more. Whether I believe in anything or not is irrelevant.

I’m not sure what first got me started on the way to becoming a paranormal buff. It may have something to do with my grandpa on my dad’s side. I only met him once, when I was little, and all I remember about him is that he drank and slept all the time. But some of the earliest sightings stories I heard involve him. One of my favorites my grandma told me when I was about ten or so, so I may have gotten a little fuzzy on the details, but what happened was essentially this. Grandpa saw a UFO one night, and he decided he needed to shoot it down. The “UFO” turned out to be a helicopter advertising something, I don’t remember what, the point is it was a helicopter. Keep in mind grandpa was a crazy drunk. Could be why they don’t advertise with helicopters anymore, I don’t know, it’s funny, nevertheless.

Another bizarre story relating to my beloved Grandpa, this one, I saw as it happened, so to speak. In 2000, a couple weeks before Christmas, my dad got a call from a hospital in Arizona. My grandpa was on life support, and he had ceased brain function. They were calling to ask my dad if he wanted to pull the plug or not. Grandpa wasn’t exactly the greatest father, all my aunts and uncles had already voted pull, and apparently dad was the veto. Dad said pull the plug too, saying he was only his father by name. Apparently grandpa had a veto too, because he never died. The last I heard of him, he was in a nursing home.

Now there’s justice for you. My grandfather on my mom’s side, the one I grew up with and thought would always be around, died of cancer last year. Crazy drunk grandpa, who my fondest recollection is of him farting in his sleep and giggling, still going. Now, dad has a stepfather, so I have a spare, but it’s just not the same. There’s your lesson, kids, immortality= raging alcoholism.

Where was I now? Ah yeah, why I’m interested in the latest reports of crop circles? Escapism, pure and simple. When I’m home from work or just trying to wind down, I like reading up on the newest theory of bigfoot actually being a hairy lumberjack named George who just likes to take a midnight stroll through the woods. Tales of Spring-Heeled Jack, the Jersey Devil, the Mad Gasser of Mattoon, all these keep my mind off the crushing routine that has become my life. Whether I believe it or not is completely irrelevant, what matters here is that it makes me smile. And at the end of the day, that’s what really counts.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snuffypuffer

• Benjo Koolzooie

• Nancy

• Kismit

Snuffy? My puter must be possessed! I know I posted a reply here yesterday and it seems to have poofed on me..... I apologize!!

Ya know what? I love your "Stream of Consciousness"....... why?

It took a great deal of courage to put "ink to paper" and share several of the sad situations in your past. Then? You allowed us to peek into your feelings and how the Paranormal began to seep into your soul.

Seems to me? You have done dang well Mr. Puffer! Considering some of your experiences with grandfathers, you have come a LONG way.......

I am proud to read this and very proud to be your friend..... wub.gif

Thank you for taking the time to type this up Snuffy.

I have to agree, I also take intrests in such things, like things on this board, because it helps me escape and I do find somethings intresting, I do learns bits of information each day from reading various posts.

Thanks for taking the time to type this again. original.gif

Thanks for reading, everybody. Glad you enjoyed it. I plan to have another rant up every friday, as long as I have ideas. Until then, here's this guy cat.gif

More! More!! More!!!

Gives us all something to look forward to every Friday night then

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something vaguely amusing about that.

Guys, the response is so much better than what I actually expected, now I'm afraid of dissappointing someone. Thank you so much, I really appreciate this.

Great stuff Snuffy, looking forward to the next installment. thumbsup.gif

Bravo Snuffy! I enjoyed reading this! I look forward to reading more. original.gif

Gives us all something to look forward to every Friday night then

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something vaguely amusing about that.

Im sure you did find something amusing about it. wink2.gif