Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do your deceased loved ones visit in dreams?

nycrican

There have been a large number of accounts of people seeing recently deceased relatives in their dreams or visiting them from their bedsides at precisely the time of death, and during these encounters they often describe sensations of not being able to move like in sleep paralysis.

this is soooo true :) recently i dreamed of my grandmother who passed away a year and three months ago. I suddenly woke up because i felt a presence in my room but when i closed my eyes again i can't move and felt a hug behind me. It was my grandmother asking me how are things with me... everything felt so real.. i can't even recognize if i was just dreaming or those things are really happening in front of me. But her voice seemed real.. i can't remember everything we talked about but i am sure that she's happy. she was wearing a pink blouse but i can't see her face that clearly. One thing was weird tho, i asked her why he didn't bring grandpa with him so i could see him too, she said, "Oh your grandpa can't be with us. He was reborn" what does she mean by it?

this is soooo true :) recently i dreamed of my grandmother who passed away a year and three months ago. I suddenly woke up because i felt a presence in my room but when i closed my eyes again i can't move and felt a hug behind me. It was my grandmother asking me how are things with me... everything felt so real.. i can't even recognize if i was just dreaming or those things are really happening in front of me. But her voice seemed real.. i can't remember everything we talked about but i am sure that she's happy. she was wearing a pink blouse but i can't see her face that clearly. One thing was weird tho, i asked her why he didn't bring grandpa with him so i could see him too, she said, "Oh your grandpa can't be with us. He was reborn" what does she mean by it?

That would add value to the theory of reincarnation :)

Ghosts don't visit you inside your dreams, they talk to you while you're asleep.

I definitely agree with that. From my experience real communication actually feels different than merely dreaming about the person. I think most of the time people are merely dreaming. You'll damn well know if it's actual communication, but that's just my opinion.

Gosh, strong dreams Vel.

There are some really interesting dreams here.

My husband dreams of our daughter and he says it's like it's real, like he's been with her and he's really comforted by it. I've never had a single, solitary dream of her... I'm still waiting. I get phone calls from my family members all the time to say they've had dreams of her.

I think there's a reason I don't dream about her, I haven't figured it out yet, but she's on my mind all day long - how can I NOT dream of her?

Well I found out someting interesting though. His wife would hear him call her name...and she swore that when she would sit on the sofa that he was there sitting with her. She would smell his cologne that he used too wear. My ex and I thought that she was doing that because she was used too him being there. That her mind was playing tricks on her. Well after the last dream I had of him....me signing...and of him floating toward the light, she said that she had no experiances. I really think I helped him move on....that he reached me through my dreams, because he needed my help. The song I was singing I can still remember......Eyes with no more tears to cry....turning heavenward toward the light......cry in the name of Jesus.....help me see the light of one more day. He just could not pass on, not without his wife of 52 years. He didn't want to leave her alone. I think that is why in the first dream he would not get in the car....he just kept walking and crying. It was a sign that he was not ready. (((Regency)))) I beleive she will come into your dreams some day. I think that spirits come into your dreams when you are so relaxed before you go to bed...and you don't have so much on your mind. So your mind is open to all kinds of things and possibilites, like pyshcics do. They even do exercises to help them open up. Thats how I think spirits come into your dreams. It's not that your daughter won't visit, she hasn't had the chance too.This might sound weird too you but I think I can help you with a little advice. When you get the chance one night before you go to bed....right down everything that is on your mind, crumble it up and throw it away. After you through it away laydown and relax. If you can get yourself in a Hypnotic state....which is almost asleep, but still awake.....that is how Lucid Dreams can form, where you can control your DREAMS!! Pratice that and see if she comes through in your dream. I can get that way with meditation, but you should try REM (Rapid Eye Movement), it is more effective. Do this when you are laying down relaxed, with your eyes closed move your eyes around a little side by side. You will actually feel yourself going into the Hypnotic State....dont freak out though....go with the flow or you will wake yourself up...lol. you will start seeing flashes of people, or places. Then you go into your dream, with an open mind. If you are luckey it would be a Lucid Dream! When I had those dreams I was not having a Lucid Dream, but I was totally relaxed and open minded. Here is an experiance from another thread when I had a warning come through! (Sightings, reports, and experiances.)

I remember one night, when I was alone, I had a strange dream. I was kinda nervous to be alone anyways because I never go to sleep in an empty house. So I just basically stayed in my bedroom. Finally I drifted off to sleep and had a dream that my phone rang. When I answered it, it was a man on the other end that said secure your home. I was like huh? Then the man on the other end hung up. Then I woke up. I was thinking to myself what a weird dream. Then I remembered HOLY CRAP I did not lock the windows or doors. So I locked everything up...read my novel and feel asleep. 2 hours later a policeman knocked on my door and said that my neighbor was robbed and taken to the hospital. He was 72 years old!! Man that freaked me out. The cop asked me if I had heard anything. I just looked at him like uuuhhhhhhhhhh...lol. He saw the shocked look on my face then said," make sure you keep your home secured."

I remember one night, when I was alone, I had a strange dream. I was kinda nervous to be alone anyways because I never go to sleep in an empty house. So I just basically stayed in my bedroom. Finally I drifted off to sleep and had a dream that my phone rang. When I answered it, it was a man on the other end that said secure your home. I was like huh? Then the man on the other end hung up. Then I woke up. I was thinking to myself what a weird dream. Then I remembered HOLY CRAP I did not lock the windows or doors. So I locked everything up...read my novel and feel asleep. 2 hours later a policeman knocked on my door and said that my neighbor was robbed and taken to the hospital. He was 72 years old!! Man that freaked me out. The cop asked me if I had heard anything. I just looked at him like uuuhhhhhhhhhh...lol. He saw the shocked look on my face then said," make sure you keep your home secured."

Yikes V thats freaky but cool at the same time . I often wonder if its some inherant sense that we all have . Like a deep intuition as there are lots who have the same as this . i've had it myself where i'll just be dozing off and suddenly i'll start to dream that one of my kids falls from a window and jump up shocked . but it makes me go around checking windows . and i have often found that one of the kids has left one unlocked which is totally forbidden in my house due to inquisitve toddlers . wierd .

Glad you were safe and hope your neighbour was okay after the robbery it can be a very traumatic experience .

Thanks for sharing . :)

EDIT : numerous typos . its early and i'm tired LOL

Edited by SS79

Well I found out someting interesting though. His wife would hear him call her name...and she swore that when she would sit on the sofa that he was there sitting with her. She would smell his cologne that he used too wear. My ex and I thought that she was doing that because she was used too him being there. That her mind was playing tricks on her. Well after the last dream I had of him....me signing...and of him floating toward the light, she said that she had no experiances. I really think I helped him move on....that he reached me through my dreams, because he needed my help. The song I was singing I can still remember......Eyes with no more tears to cry....turning heavenward toward the light......cry in the name of Jesus.....help me see the light of one more day. He just could not pass on, not without his wife of 52 years. He didn't want to leave her alone. I think that is why in the first dream he would not get in the car....he just kept walking and crying. It was a sign that he was not ready. (((Regency)))) I beleive she will come into your dreams some day. I think that spirits come into your dreams when you are so relaxed before you go to bed...and you don't have so much on your mind. So your mind is open to all kinds of things and possibilites, like pyshcics do. They even do exercises to help them open up. Thats how I think spirits come into your dreams. It's not that your daughter won't visit, she hasn't had the chance too.This might sound weird too you but I think I can help you with a little advice. When you get the chance one night before you go to bed....right down everything that is on your mind, crumble it up and throw it away. After you through it away laydown and relax. If you can get yourself in a Hypnotic state....which is almost asleep, but still awake.....that is how Lucid Dreams can form, where you can control your DREAMS!! Pratice that and see if she comes through in your dream. I can get that way with meditation, but you should try REM (Rapid Eye Movement), it is more effective. Do this when you are laying down relaxed, with your eyes closed move your eyes around a little side by side. You will actually feel yourself going into the Hypnotic State....dont freak out though....go with the flow or you will wake yourself up...lol. you will start seeing flashes of people, or places. Then you go into your dream, with an open mind. If you are luckey it would be a Lucid Dream! When I had those dreams I was not having a Lucid Dream, but I was totally relaxed and open minded. Here is an experiance from another thread when I had a warning come through! (Sightings, reports, and experiances.)

I did have my grandmother come through one of my dreams when my mom was sick she was bed ridden.......she did'nt say anything too me just disappeared, but I had a feeling overcome me when I woke. I had to see my MOM! When I got there she was dying :( she was bleeding everywhere from between her legs. She keep cussing me out because I called 911! She had a Tumor rupture the size of a football in her uterus, plus the tumor was pressing on her hernaited disk when she layed down....thats why she couldn't get up. My Grandmother saved her life.

Yikes V thats freaky but cool at the same time . I often wonder if its some inherant sense that we all have . Like a deep intuition as there are lots who have the same as this . i've had it myself where i'll just be dozing off and suddenly i'll start to dream that one of my kids falls from a window and jump up shocked . but it makes me go around checking windows . and i have often found that one of the kids has left one unlocked which is totally forbidden in my house due to inquisitve toddlers . wierd .

Glad you were safe and hope your neighbour was okay after the robbery it can be a very traumatic experience .

Thanks for sharing . :)

EDIT : numerous typos . its early and i'm tired LOL

Your welcome....sadley he was put in a home after that. Everyone has it SS79 we just need to learn how to use it. Remember....when we are asleep....your brain takes over, so how about learning how to control it!

Your welcome....sadley he was put in a home after that. Everyone has it SS79 we just need to learn how to use it. Remember....when we are asleep....your brain takes over, so how about learning how to control it!

AWW im sorry to hear that . poor guy .

Edited by SS79

AWW im sorry to hear that . poor guy .

Yeah it really sucks. His wife was unharmed though, but she was too old to take care of him with those type of injuries.

Well I found out someting interesting though. His wife would hear him call her name...and she swore that when she would sit on the sofa that he was there sitting with her. She would smell his cologne that he used too wear. My ex and I thought that she was doing that because she was used too him being there. That her mind was playing tricks on her. Well after the last dream I had of him....me signing...and of him floating toward the light, she said that she had no experiances. I really think I helped him move on....that he reached me through my dreams, because he needed my help. The song I was singing I can still remember......Eyes with no more tears to cry....turning heavenward toward the light......cry in the name of Jesus.....help me see the light of one more day. He just could not pass on, not without his wife of 52 years. He didn't want to leave her alone. I think that is why in the first dream he would not get in the car....he just kept walking and crying. It was a sign that he was not ready. (((Regency)))) I beleive she will come into your dreams some day. I think that spirits come into your dreams when you are so relaxed before you go to bed...and you don't have so much on your mind. So your mind is open to all kinds of things and possibilites, like pyshcics do. [/size]

When I'm in bed at night, it's when I feel most anxious about her not being here - I'm a terrible sleeper, I wake up anxious all through the night because of her, so if being relaxed in bed is a prerequiste of a visit, it would explain why I'm not getting one.

Vel, those dreams were so detailed of yours. It's funny what you should say about him being in a car, in one of my husbands' clear as day dreams about our daughter, they were on a train. It must be significant, a journey?

When I'm in bed at night, it's when I feel most anxious about her not being here - I'm a terrible sleeper, I wake up anxious all through the night because of her, so if being relaxed in bed is a prerequiste of a visit, it would explain why I'm not getting one.

Vel, those dreams were so detailed of yours. It's funny what you should say about him being in a car, in one of my husbands' clear as day dreams about our daughter, they were on a train. It must be significant, a journey?

Thats what I thought too......because he did NOT want to get in the car. He wasn't ready. I think that is why he was crying

There is nothing worse than the lose of a child and I pray to God I never become a member of that club, I am so sorry for you loss. I am sure she will be around you in spirit.

I once dreamt about my Grandma, but she was on a bus with the rest of my family. Maybe there is some significance in it!

Dreams are just....fascinating. I keep a dream diary. The more I write in it, the clearer my dreams become. I have some pretty whacky dreams too. I'll have a look back in my journal to see if I have one about my birth dad. I had one about a Thunderbird once. It was an amazing, awesome dream. I don't mean awesome cool, but awesome as in powerful!

When I was about 12, I was camping with a friend's family once, and had a dream once that my dad went to the hospital (he had already had two heart attacks and one was near-fatal and we were always worried about his seemingly fragile health) but in my dream he was laughing and chatting in his hospital bed. When I got home that afternoon, he had had a gallbladder attack and was taken to the hospital. When I visited him later that day, he was cracking jokes and was quite chatty. I was told once that it might have been someone watching over me and passing me a dream to prepare myself for this.

I have premonitory dreams occasionally and I wonder if someone is sending me stuff. Not quite what the OP was about, but a side topic.

Dreams are just....fascinating. I keep a dream diary. The more I write in it, the clearer my dreams become. I have some pretty whacky dreams too. I'll have a look back in my journal to see if I have one about my birth dad. I had one about a Thunderbird once. It was an amazing, awesome dream. I don't mean awesome cool, but awesome as in powerful!

When I was about 12, I was camping with a friend's family once, and had a dream once that my dad went to the hospital (he had already had two heart attacks and one was near-fatal and we were always worried about his seemingly fragile health) but in my dream he was laughing and chatting in his hospital bed. When I got home that afternoon, he had had a gallbladder attack and was taken to the hospital. When I visited him later that day, he was cracking jokes and was quite chatty. I was told once that it might have been someone watching over me and passing me a dream to prepare myself for this.

I have premonitory dreams occasionally and I wonder if someone is sending me stuff. Not quite what the OP was about, but a side topic.

Thanks for sharing it!

Slightly off topic myself.. but, I've wondered what the major differences were between Premonitions & dreams.. I've come to think premonitions are more emotional in the experience, while dreams are just the experience.. I believe too these premonitions are ways to prepare us for something.. who's sending them or what? I'd awoke one morning with the heavy thought and burden on my heart that my father was dead. I had no reason to think he was, he (or so we thought) was in good health at the time.. a few hours later.. I found him in his bed.. passed away from a fatal heart attack... He'd passed that very night..

Did this dream/premonition prepare me? In strange ways it absolutely did...

Speaking of dreams and premonitions, I often have a strange recurring dream where my mouth would go numb and then my teeth would break off. When I looked up the definition in dream books, I would usually laugh it off or would always dismiss them as nonsense since who would like to believe that something bad would happen. But the funny thing I've noticed is that after around 3 days of the dream, something bad and physically draining would always occur.

Speaking of dreams and premonitions, I often have a strange recurring dream where my mouth would go numb and then my teeth would break off. When I looked up the definition in dream books, I would usually laugh it off or would always dismiss them as nonsense since who would like to believe that something bad would happen. But the funny thing I've noticed is that after around 3 days of the dream, something bad and physically draining would always occur.

I used to have those dreams or similar years ago... I read somewhere it's a sign of insecurity.

I used to have those dreams or similar years ago... I read somewhere it's a sign of insecurity.

Insecurity? that can't be true :P

This is all nonsense, and dream books are evil.

Insecurity? that can't be true :P

This is all nonsense, and dream books are evil.

Well I can say I didn't feel insecure... I no longer have the book, and never bothered to buy a new one!

I already burnt mine :D

That was quick! :innocent:

• 2 months later...
There have been a large number of accounts of people seeing recently deceased relatives in their dreams or visiting them from their bedsides at precisely the time of death, and during these encounters they often describe sensations of not being able to move like in sleep paralysis.

I had a dream from a childhood friend that was my first best friend growing up. She died in 1999 of ovarian cancer. She came to visit me probably about 7-8 mths after she died. I kept seeing her Mom's name pop up on papers at work that we would get in the mail and one particular flyer from my stepkids' school - didn't pay much attention to it. When she visited me in my dream we were in the ballpark behind my parents' house that we use to go to all the time. She was right in my face when I first saw her - glowing skin, really bright eyes, wearing white. She said hello to me and I yelled her name and hugged her. We walked over to the bleachers of one of the fields. We sat down and I started asking her questions. I said "What is heaven like?" She took out a piece of paper and a pencil and started drawing overlapping circles - trying to explain to me that there are levels in heaven - you kinda have to complete one level to get to the next. In the dream it was kind of difficult to really understand most of what she was saying. But then she goes "Do you remember my Mom's first name?" and I go "Sure I do. It's Cheryl". Well, she just looked so excited that I actually remembered. That was the end of the dream. BUT, it got me thinking the next day. I kept seeing her Mom's name for a reason. She wanted to make sure I knew who she was by asking if I remembered it. So I decided to write her Mom a note (I still remembered where she lived - we grew up across the street from each other too). I told her in the note that her daughter came to me in a dream and I hoped she didn't think I was crazy for telling her so, etc. Well a few weeks later she wrote be back and said that I wasn't the only old friend from her daughter's that had dreamt about her and let her know so. She said that she hadn't visited her yet but said she knows by getting her old friends to validate their visits from her meant she was around and that hopefully, one day she'll visit her too. I cried after reading that but figured that was why she visited me was for me to let her Mom know she was okay.

Edited by JoannaBanana1

I personally have never got the privilege to experience the dream visit but my sister had an awesome one. My sister lives in Long Island, New York and my whole family lives here in Toledo Ohio. Anyway my Aunt died unexpectedly and when I called my sister to give her the bad news she was already awake. It was about 3 in the morning when I called and she said “Its aunt Pinky isn’t it.” I was shocked and asked how she knew, and she told me this dream she had that woke her up.

She was walking in a big dark room but she could see someone standing up in front of a couch. As she got closer she saw my mother standing by the couch talking to her dad (our grandpa who had died in 1995). My mother kept asking to sit down but my grandpa kept saying no Mija (daughter in Spanish). My mother kept saying she was tired and she wanted to sit down but my grandpa kept saying this seat isn’t for you. My sister than noticed everyone on the couch was our dead relatives. Than my sister turned and saw my aunt pinky who was walking towards her, and as she got closer she smiled, walked past her and sat down in the open seat. She woke up and 5 minutes later she received my phone call.

I had a pretty crazy dream when I was in HS. The day before was a good friend of mine's birthday. We were all supposed to go out and celebrate but I had a sectional baseball game the following day so I couldn't stay out. In the middle of the night, I was dreaming of the baseball game which I often did and all a sudden I got this image of my friend. Like everything was sucked away into the abyss and it was just his face staring at me. Didn't even say a word. I woke up right afterwards and I had the strangest feeling. Hard to explain, but I remember thinking, dude Gary, why am I dreaming about your ass for. I get to school and I saw everyone in the cafeteria holding each other, crying. I immidately became aware that something tramatic happened. A mutual friend who also did not go informed me that Gary had died in a car accident around 2am that morning. I remember looking at the clock as it read 2:11am. I beat myself up quite a bit over that, as did our mutual friend for not being there. However, if we were, we would have died as well. 3 people died that night, up until then, I never realized loss. I still deal with every March 22nd which is the anniversery of their deaths. I never told anyone about that at school, until one year we were at the site in rememberance and I was talking to 3 others and they all said they had a dream where Gary just appeared out of no where. Sends chills down my spine just thinking about it now.

These are all GREAT stories! I'd like to share mine......................

A couple years ago around Mother's Day weekend, I had a dream. One of of my friends who came to me in the dream had taken his own life about 9 months before. I was shocked to see him and he told me we didn't have much time we had to go. I almost felt like I was travelling at a very high speed out of my body. There was just this sense of urgency. Another friend (who was also deceased) met up with us. We ended up at a friends house and we went to him and my friends said 'Just start pulling'. It was like we were playing tug'o war with something but I didn't know what. After what seemed like hours of doing this, it was seemed like whatever we were pulling on just gave way and we went flying back. My deceased friends were very pleased and were happy and laughing! I shot up out of my bed just sweating and crying and didn't know what the heck just took place. A couple months later I ran into the friend in my dream that we went to visit and told him about it. His face turned pure white. He explained that he had come to a crossroads in his life and wanted to end his. He said that on Mother's Day weekend, he had the barrel of a shot gun in his mouth for quite sometime and for some strange reason it just got yanked out of his mouth somehow. He put it away and never thought of it again. His Mother passsed away on Mother's Day a few years back and he always gets a little sad among the other things that were going on his life then. He told me he couldn't believe that we actually saved him. I don't know if we did, maybe just some crazy coincidence, but I'm sure glad that he is still around. THere is quite a bit more to this story, but this is basically what happened.

I have had lucid dreams since I was a child. I see my deceased family and friends quite often in them. I'm very pleased that I understand how to do this. It's a wonderful experience. :tu:

Edited by dkkjf68
  • Like 1