Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Althalus

Northumberland 1971

5 posts in this topic

Dr Anne Ross was working at a museum in Newcastle upon Tyne when she was asked to investigate 2 stone heads. The heads had come from the garden of a house in Hexham. A colleague, Dr Don Robbins, carried out tests and found that they contained unusually high amounts of quartz but nothing else of particular iinterest.

The stone heads had been sent to the museum because they were apparently the cause of some bizarre episodes at the place in which they were unearthed. Shortly after they were unearthed, a figure appeared that seemed to be a cross between a man and a sheep. Which used to be seen at night prowling around the back garden and the house.

The children who lived at the house where they were found werenaturally scared and the parents wished to get rid of the heads, hence the removal to Newcastle.

Dr Ross has examined similar articles before, and although she said that she immediately felt wary of the heads, she had no problems abouth taking them home to closer examine them.

A couple of days later, she reported seeing a figure standing at the top of the stairs, she described it as being like a half man half wolf, she bravely approached the figure, and as she did so it leaped over the banister and disappeared towards the rear of the house. After her child saw the creature a few nights later she became concerned and buried the heads at a location she has not disclosed.

I've heard this story before. I remember my sister telling me about it. She thinks that in the account she read, the heads were of celtic origin. If I also remember rightly, didn't the sightings of the creatures stop once the heads were re-buried?

I also think that the church was called in, but the exorcism had no effect. The assumption was that because the stones pre-dated christianity, the prayers of the priest didn't work.

I have some further material on the Hexham Heads. w00t.gif I will add it after the impending hiatus.

Keep us in suspense why don'tya?

For more information, including pictures of the heads, and other canine apparitions, check this link:

Link