Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IhartU

Watch what you drink in Chicago

5 posts in this topic

I've always wondered where the saying drink a 'Mickey Finn' came from and I happened to run across a newspaper article from 1896.

Another danger for the unwary in the Windy City lies in the drinks served at the Lone Star Saloon and the Palm Garden on Whiskey Row. For the barkeeper running these two joints is a guy named Mickey Finn, who owns the recipe to a voodoo mixture that is overwhelming in alchohol and water.

Take one of Mickey Finn's specials, and you'll start talking silly and reeling about the room, untill you pass out into a deep slumber.

Then you are carried into a back room, where Mickey dons a bowler hat and a clean white apron to search you for valuables. He will also remove any good clothes you own and replace them with filthy rags, before dumping you in an alley. When you wake up, you won't remember a thing.

So never take a drink from Mickey Finn! ;)

How very strange! Why would he don a bowler hat and clean white apron? Why would that matter? I've always wondered just what a Mickey Finn was myself, and how it got the name. Thanks for sharing!

Dons a bowler hat, clean white apron, puts a rabbit on a pole and fleeces you good and proper.

Darn Mickey Finn.

???

???

I was referring to the thread where they talk about old time gangsta's that used to go around carrying a rabbit on a pole. I just find that odd.

Rabbit on a pole.

Ha ha. :unsure: