Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toad in Stone

Exterminance

Hello, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good online site for info on the phenomena of finding toads trapped in stone?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentalcase

• Exterminance

• Journey

• man_in_mudboots

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, and welcome to the boards!!!!!

Heres a couple sites that may help.

UnMuseum

About.com

Thanks, Lisa. Hi, Benjo.

Heh heh, I was just running a search on the case of the pterodactyl discovered in limestone when I came across this amusing example of poor grammar:

Prophecyinthenews.com

In 1719, French lumbermen were astonished to find a living frog directly in the center of a solid elm trunk about four feet above the root, but could not survive.

The French lumbermen could not survive the frog? Lol...

wow I had never heard about any of this stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Reader's Digest Unexplained Mysteries Book, they have mutiple cases of finding frogs and toads in geodes. Quite remarkable actually, not sure if many tests have been done on this subject, but I think it is facinating.

I've noticed the similarity seems to be that all these animals are reptilian/amphibious. Wonder if it's not some sort of trait thye have? After all if I remember correctly in the wild both toads, frogs, lizards, and snakes hibernate in the winter. Wonder if they don't just slip into the same "hibernation" type state when entombed in snow? Or perhaps a suspended animation type effect?

Even in a hibernation state the creatures wouldn't have sufficient energy to last long. I would put it at a decade max, and that's probably a stretch.

I have the Reader's Digest Unexplained Mysteries Book, they have mutiple cases of finding frogs and toads in geodes. Quite remarkable actually

Even more remarkable that some of the specimen recovered were still alive, though they expired shortly after being disentombed. ( I have the Readers Digest and Time-Life sets--gotta love garage sales!)

This is interesting, and is a subject that I have not heard of before- I'll do some checking too-

i have heard of this phenonminon(spelling!), even though it was a short artical in a "would you believe it" type book. it was in Sweden i think, and in a perified log. the frog/toad was described as having a slightly pointed head, a tail(?), no toe pads, and a small, short toung. it died shortly after being found in a laboratory.

note: i dont know how much of thdis was true, and how much was done up to make it weirder. take it or leave it.

by the way, i am new here. grin2.gif

Edited by man_in_mudboots

In arid areas of our planet, such as deserts and tundra’s, some types of frogs and fish burry themselves far below the ground and hibernate for phenomenal lengths of time. The record is held by a toad that hibernated for 27 years! Unbelievably… blink.gif

In New Zealand we have an inscet called a Weta it is capable of with standing a cryogenic state , infact every year it's body becomes completely frozen untill it shuts down . The heart beat the lungs the circulation and it stays like this for 6 months . I'm not sure how long they can survive like this but they are certainly a good example of Naveed's hibernation theory .

Weta fact sheet

Quite often toads that are found in rocks are reportd to be pale or completely lacking in colour , this could apparently be a symptom caused by the lack of sunlight like the albino cave fish ..