Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Dinosaur Found

MadEyePixie

I know...

and it's not like Rowling invented 'dragons' either. So why should she get her imaginary name used.

Maybe name it a dragon's name or something...that dragon from The Hobbit....oh I can't remember his name. :/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• ivytheplant

• MadEyePixie

• Carajbu

SMAUG, but I thought the book was crap, and that name was just invented by Tolkien with no historical precedent.

Here ae some really ancient dragon names to name dragon-like dinosaurs after:

Nin-Gish-Zida, a benificent dragon servant of Sumeria, but evolved into Satan by the Hebrews who forgot how the original Eden legend went.

Zohac, the dragon who the Zoroastrian Persians said was the God of the Jews and Christians.

Fafnir, dragon of the Germanic Siegried legend

Af and Hemah, dragons sent by God to swallow (and release) Moses in ancient Jewish legends that parallel the Bible.

Ahriman - Persian dragon from which the Christian Satan was imitated.

Ketos- Sea dragon of Greek mythology, which New Testament claims swallowed Jonah.

Tiamat - 7 Headed sea serpent but sometimes mistaken to be a proper dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I kind of forgot I made this topic...

As much as I love JKR and her books, I do have to agree that the name is pretty dumb. They could of came up with something much better, I'm sure.

OT: The Hobbit, crap? You are mistaken, sir.

That happens sometimes, especially in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

frogfish are you a yanky bum hole or somthing aussie is Fine to live in and stuff like that dont happen much :angry2:

He wasn't insulting Australia, Mosasaurs, calm down. He was just pointing out that sometimes they let kids name dinosaurs over there. I really don't see how that is offensive.

He wasn't insulting Australia, Mosasaurs, calm down. He was just pointing out that sometimes they let kids name dinosaurs over there. I really don't see how that is offensive.

:yes: There are many dinosaurs named after the discoverer's kid...like Leanllysaurus.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be tempted to name a dinosaur after something naughty, just to make kids snicker.

And adults...

they probly named it after hogwarts because it was going toa children's museum

and they picked a name that all the kids knew

but they still could have picked a better name :yes:

when i find me dinosaur i name him fido :) why fido, because i am tired of the "saur" names ;)

and fido was my dog

because i am tired of the "saur" names

Not all dinosaurs have "saurus"...Minmi, Protoavis, Compsognathus, Caudipteryx, Mononychus, etc

I would have guessed it was a fantasy rendition of dragon head if I had only seen the head drawing and no explanation with it.

I like the dragon part of the name but not the rest.

That's a very cool-looking creature.

I want a mating pair cloned, wrapped, and shipped Fed-Ex to my house by Thanksgiving.

Also, I'd like to add that Australia looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Beer-drinking is the national sport.

Half the beaches are topless.

And lots of wide-open spaces to explore, with topless, beer-swilling foreign chicks.

Edited by BigDaddy_GFS

maybe its a very old speicies but its not extinced (sorry for spelling) i thinks its not gone becuase how woudl the vikings and people like that make up such a thing and we find sumthing just like wat they made up..i think they are jsut a very rare animal and it barly evoled over time like the crocadile and turtal ...there was a story here about a girl that saw a little dragon on her hand....maybe they just shrunk like jsut about every other animal that ws alive back then like....the shark...the tural....the croc...and so on

Looks like some type of pachycephalosaur of homacephale...

I agree with Frogfish, it does look like a relative of pachycephalosaurus.

The names stupid but that's not a big deal. Have to say that the dinosaur really looks a like a dragon to me. Cool new discovery.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the coolest dinosaur I have ever seen!

Did they find the body too or did they just put it's head on a Pachycephalosauridae? I'm pretty sure they just found the skull. If any one knows for sure let me know. They might just be guessing about the body...

maybe its a very old speicies but its not extinced (sorry for spelling) i thinks its not gone becuase how woudl the vikings and people like that make up such a thing and we find sumthing just like wat they made up..i think they are jsut a very rare animal and it barly evoled over time like the crocadile and turtal ...there was a story here about a girl that saw a little dragon on her hand....maybe they just shrunk like jsut about every other animal that ws alive back then like....the shark...the tural....the croc...and so on

There is no way this thing is still alive, but it probably did co-exsist with man at one point. That would explain some of the dragon legends.

Edited by the_h0llow_earth

Not all dinosaurs have "saurus"...Minmi, Protoavis, Compsognathus, Caudipteryx, Mononychus, etc

right....but most of them do, no need to point out the ones that dont. The dude was just making a coment on what he would name a dinosaur if he found one and why....