Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Kasai Rex

emmy

The great Tyrannosaurus, the most feared member of the dinosaur kingdom . . . to think that this creature of such renown, such awe, and such sheer terror could possibly be still alive today simply baffles the human mind. Though seemingly ludicrous, could a living Tyrannosaurus, or quite possibly, a close relative of the Tyrannosaur, really be alive today? Is it scientifically possible?

In the heart of Africa, to the amazement of many, there have been sightings of Tyrannosaur-like creatures -- one, in particular, by a plantation owner, John Johnson, and his slave. As the report goes, Mr. Johnson and his African slave were traveling through a swampy marsh in the Kasai valley in 1932. Suddenly, they came across a rhinoceros, and were cautious in not disturbing it. Then, to their immediate horror, a large, 42 foot (13 meter) long meter) long "lizard" leaped out of the trees and attacked the rhino. As it began to feed, the African servant fled in panic while the Swede literally fainted, falling to the ground. When he awoke, he found the creature still feeding, and had the opportunity to carefully observe it:

"It was a large beast, at least 12-13 meters long. It was reddish in coloration, with brackish-colored stripes going down. The legs were thick; it reminded me of a lion, built for speed. It had a long snout and numerous teeth. It gorged itself on the rhinoceros, which twitched with life still in it. (Note: the rhino was probably dead, but the Swede probably didn't know about involuntary muscle spasms.) After the creature had eaten its fill, it returned to the jungle slowly, its belly full of flesh."

In reality, very few people have reported seeing what has been titled the "Kasai Rex," but the reports of those who have are all strikingly similar; the size differs slightly, but the color of the creature remains the same . . . a dark red. It may not be the Tyrannosaurus, but the Tarbosaurus, a close relative to the Tyrannosaurus. It well-fits the description of the Kasai Rex. If the animals do exist, it is believed that the beast, or beasts, live very deep within Congo jungles, only venturing out when food is scarce. In brief, the Tarbosaurus was a slightly larger specimen than the Tyrannosaur. Roughly the size of a school bus, it possessed powerful jaws and long, serrated teeth. If the report were of a true specimen, it would bring vital, unparalleled information to the scientific community regarding the dinosaur kingdom itself.

To begin with, it would reveal that dinosaurs were creatures of remarkable color. Rather than plain, rather bland dusty-colored animals, such as the elephant or hippopotamus, several species perhaps possessed a magnificently colorful design. Again, every description of a Kasai Rex has been in agreement with one another . . . a dark shade of red with black stripes running vertically. Coincidence? From a logical standpoint, no.

Secondly, it would bring conclusive evidence that Tarbosaurs and their various close relatives were hunters. Though thought to be the case with the majority of scientists, some skeletal evidence has shown otherwise. Using the T-Rex as an example, one strength-indicator test conducted years ago on the femur revealed a strength indicator of only 9 units, which indicated that it could not have been very fast, contrary to movie depictions of a sprinting T-Rex. By comparison, a female African elephant on the same test showed a strength indicator of 6-14 units. A Tyrannosaur could simply not hunt at such a slow speed.

However, the plantation owner reported that the creature leaped on the rhinoceros out of nearby dense foliage, conducting a "surprise attack" method, rather than a "chasing down" method. In contrast, we mustn't ignore his vivid description, "The legs were thick; it reminded me of a lion, built for speed."

Lastly, if more information were discovered of the encounter, it could reveal to us whether it was a warm or cold blooded animal. This subject is still highly debated among scientists and paleontologists. Though it is True Authority's belief that dinosaurs, though reptiles, were warm blooded, we are far from taking any dogmatic stance.

The believability of the Kasai Rex is left for the reader to decide. Regions in central Africa, specifically the Likouala Swamp, a region which covers an area the size of Florida, still remains 80% unexplored. Reports of dinosaurs continue to pour out from these locations, and until we have adequately searched throughout this land of the unknown, this land located on the "Dark Continent," we may never know if the dinosaur world's most popular figure still walks the earth today.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naveed

• Engulf

• man_in_mudboots

• gonzowalker

The one thing that this does not mention is the fact that the dinosaurs did not all die out at once after the asteroid hit.

They carried on living, especially the meat eaters, for some time. And if they survived long enough, eating small animals and other creatures, they could have survived down the years, albeit only as a small amount.

Also, give the time frame, the dino could have evolved slightly, to increase the bone strength, and also its speed, until it appears as what was seen in the reports, after all the only thing that differs in them is the size, which could indicate male/female, or offspring.

this could be debunked if the theary thet t-rex was a scavinger not a hunter is proven but then agen whos to say it didnt evolve to beacome a hunter and it could also be a evoluion of a raptor speices making it larger faster the suprise attake says raptor to me the size says trex, hybrid or alosore hybrid?

I read that before too,It would be cool to see one.

From a distance.

Another dino in African jungles??now wouldn't it be really great if there was a group or team visiting these places for research purposes at the current time?It seems that Africa's got alot of dino-stuff hiding in there,maybe there's one dino-paradise somewhere.....

The one thing that this does not mention is the fact that the dinosaurs did not all die out at once after the asteroid hit.

Anyway Al,I'm just curious but.....did those dinos really died because of this asteroid thing?or could it be some other cataclysm on Earth.....

now wouldn't it be really great if there was a group or team visiting these places for research purposes at the current time?It seems that Africa's got alot of dino-stuff hiding in there,maybe there's one dino-paradise somewhere.....

Actually there been many expeditions held by scientis to find the remarkable Prehistoric Survivors......But all end up to be finding nothing at all in the remote area of Africa... sad.gif

i've always had this one thought about discovering animals that are of the unknown nature....

take tons of close up pics of the area from a satalite, and then examine those, we already take tons of pics of places where people live, y not the places people dont???

i dunno, im not that smart it may not work who knows thats my 2 cents cool.gif

I understand where your coming from forsakenhero, but I think that we can't do that at this point in time because there's too many trees and stuff. Another suggestion might be thermal photos of the areas and analyze them to see if any images are way too big to be "natural".

now wouldn't it be really great if there was a group or team visiting these places for research purposes at the current time?It seems that Africa's got alot of dino-stuff hiding in there,maybe there's one dino-paradise somewhere.....

Actually there been many expeditions held by scientis to find the remarkable Prehistoric Survivors......But all end up to be finding nothing at all in the remote area of Africa... sad.gif

I knew that but i meant at the current time original.gif

• 1 month later...

GASP! ohmy.gif ....info is all wrong in emmys original post sad.gif ....Torvosaurus tanneri is alot smaller than Tyrannnosaurus rex/bataar...description of long, narrow head doesnt fit tyrannosaurids at all....Tyrannosaurids were longer than 42 feet....more like 50.... feet, that is....and how in seven hells did any tyrannosaurid get into africa...come on now, it was an island until the oligocene ....

my opinion: whistling2.gif either a charcharodontosaurid or an unknown type of non-tetanurae carnivore.... the charicteristics described in emmys original post were of a very primative Carnosaur, if not a non-tetanurae....color is interesting....unless they are color blind(dinosaurs, that is) it would not offer much camo...which would be crucial for a moderatly speedy dinosaur.....

Edited by man_in_mudboots

One major problem with this theory. There has not been a single species of Tyrannosaur found in africa. All Tyrannosaurs and related species were restricted to the northen hemisphere. Family Tree, with each species having the location it was found listed.

Most likely if there is a carnivorous dinosaur in Africa that is still alive it is an Carcharodontosaurus, or other allosaurid. It could also be a species of Spinosauria, that big a$$ mother from Jurassic Park 3.

Just a little reading from your neighborhood dinosaur buff. thumbsup.gif

It could also be a species of Spinosauria, that big a$$ mother from Jurassic Park 3.

Just so you know spinosaurus wasn't nearly as big or as strong a t-rex. Their teeth were more for catching fish. (the sahara was swampland during the jurassic.)

How great would it be to see one of those.It would be amazing,apart from the eating part.....

It could also be a species of Spinosauria, that big a$$ mother from Jurassic Park 3.

Just so you know spinosaurus wasn't nearly as big or as strong a t-rex. Their teeth were more for catching fish. (the sahara was swampland during the jurassic.)

Yep, I knew that. I was just citing a referance people would recognize. rolleyes.gif Thats the one bad thing about the Jurassic Park movies, they made some of the dinosaurs more Hollywoodized for the action part.

As the report goes, Mr. Johnson and his African slave

any body see anything wrong with this sentence! His Slave! i had no idea peole still had slaves. ohmy.gif

as for the t-rex look alike, it's not the first time someone has sighted a dino in the african jungle. so why not, if it has nuff food and plenty of room to rome it would be possiable.

indeed. grin2.gif

jurassic park (yuck) exaggerated those dinos to death(like the 6 foot dilophosaurus...they were more like 30 feet, didnt spit poison, acid, or anyting else, and didnt have frills)

but if the kasai rex was a spinosaurid, even a vague relative, de spine wold be the first thing you would notice(except in Baryonyx walkeri, i know, but its too small to fit most descriptions, more like 30....feet, that is)

but youre right, the description would better fit a spinosurid than any tyrannosaur if only the spine could be ignored.

Edited by man_in_mudboots