Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Megalomania

Replaceable

5 posts in this topic

Yep, more violent short stories from me.

Probably isn't the best read for the weak-hearted.

--------------------------

Replaceable

I remember the days when Australia was free. When we had freedom of speech. When we weren't being watched. When violence was rare.

That was a good 50 years ago.

But, there are memories much more fresh. Memories of a one-man protest which crippled a corrupt nation. Memories of a crippled nation rising as the democracy it should be.

Sadly, the democracy was soon destroyed again.

I'm Scarm. Marcus "Scarm" Tarmis.

It was when I was 16 that the totalitarian state was formed. A number of assassinations led to the country being without a government. Then a gang took over.

They offered us protection and order in return for complete co-operation. People agreed, it couldn't be too bad, right? Many still think the deal was great. They don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Anyone who opposes our 'government' is killed. Often their family is also killed, and the deaths are blamed on an 'accident'.

I have had to hide away for 50 or so years.

Why? I'm a terrorist, as they say. And how can I deny it? One using threats and violence to achieve their political goals? Yes. I am a terrorist. But I am hardly the stereotypical one. As I fight for the freedom of those who are afraid of me. I am no hero, even though 20 years back, I was recognized as one.

It all started when, at 16 the totalitarian state started, of course. I was the only boy around who saw that this was all a bad idea. I took up several forms of martial arts, and even enrolled in military school. I received training in hand-to-hand combat, weapon training (such as swords, and other traditional weapons) and, the most useful of the three, gun training. At the age of 25, I started desperately trying to fight back. I started slow, but at 28, I had the city after me; 'The Terrorist', and I had made quite an impact. At 45, my retirement age, I had formed the democracy I wanted, and everyone knew me. But as a hero this time.

I remember a time when I was 27… I was running from a failed assassination attempt.

~+=+~

Running, running, running. I ran as fast as I could. Back to the outskirts of the city… to the underground. My underground. No-one else can find the entrances. I would never let anyone else in. I have no friends, no-one to help me. This is for security reasons.

I tried to assassinate the Trade Minister. I want our imports and exports halted. The government are trying to import new guns, new tracking devices, etc. They'll try anything to get me.

I specifically need to stop this one device. A headphone device which allows guards to talk to each other, just like the normal walkie talkie, but also reads their blood pressure and other body signs. The idea, is that when they see me, their heart rate will rise, and all other guards will be alerted, along with guards in nearby buildings, and authorities.

The last thing I need is 50 guards dropping by when I'm carrying out an operation.

My first assassination attempt, and I failed.

For the past 2 years, all I've done is stealing, raiding, etc. I've only left people unconscious, with various amnesia inducing drugs in their lungs, and a few bullet wounds in their arms and legs..

This was my first attempt at killing. I was going great, but I was stupid enough to put down my weapons when I was about to kill the Minister. How was I supposed to know that he had a pistol under his desk.

Well, I should have anticipated it. I was lucky to get away.

Now he's going to be in maximum security.

I'll have to wait a few weeks.

~+=+~

I walked down to my preparation room. It's not quite as elegant as the rest of the lair… as I have no furnished it yet, only put up the wallpaper and carpeted the floors. By the looks of things, you would never know I was underground.

I walked to the table, and grabbed my costume. It consists of a trench-coat, with sunglasses and a flu mask. These hide my face perfectly, and have become somewhat like a trademark. As my reputation has grown, the glasses and mask have come to inspire fear into people. Flu masks and sunglasses are now prohibited items of clothing. I got dressed, then walked to my weapons rack. All of my weapons are heavily modified, to suit my needs. My powerful twin

pistols have blades attached to the nozzles. These serve as silencers and they're also last-resort daggers. If I have no ammo, and I can't reach for my sword, I am pretty much dead, but I guess I could take some more down with me.

My sword. Now, what's a sword doing in modern battle? Well, I'd rather resort to a sword than my bare hands. I have also fixed tiny magnetic explosives to the blade. These explode when touched by anything other than the sword's sheath, which I magnetized to contain the sword. They are tiny explosives, but they are enough to kill people when touched by them. They are reusable, meaning that I'm not going to run out of explosives halfway through my mission.

My other weapons include twin sub-machine guns - pistol size and silenced, and of course, my cane. I do not need the cane to walk, no. But it's a surprise-gun. It's a sniper rifle, to take down any tricky guards from a safe distance. However, in close combat it is more of a shotgun, firing tiny pellets at enemies. This is the cane's test night. I aim to kill anyone who sees it, as I wouldn't like the words to get out that canes are being used as weapons, and have another banned weapon. I want to be able to carry this cane wherever I go, without problems. I won't go into more of the mechanics and science of my weapons, I don't have all night.

I walked in the shadows of the night, hoping to be unseen. Everyone in the city is after me. I approached the building. I see my last entrance was blocked. There goes the least secure window. However, I planned another route in.

I walked to the doors, and drove my sword into the gap between them. There was a soft crackling sound, and the doors swung open.

As I expected, two guards at the next door drew their guns, but I was quicker. I pulled out my twin pistols, and killed them both with shots to the head. From what I can gather, no-one else heard.

I picked up their contact devices, and disabled them both. As I pushed open the next door, an alarm triggered.

"You have got to be ****ing me," I muttered. Tricked again.

I grabbed my cane, and I hid behind a pillar. The room was large, it was a lobby. Four pillars, one at each corner of the room. There were numerous desks, chairs and even a few statues. Nice cover.

32 men marched into the building, scoping it out. They looked like Australian Special Forces (ASF) units.

I wish I was more of a scientist. One explosive would clear them all out. But what about the sword?

I got that idea from exploding bullets. Created by the Japanese in 2013.

I'm more of a mechanic. I craft things.

Ah, my cane. Shotguns do spread damage. Lucky I brought this guy along. I shot from behind the pillar, 3 men fell, not nearly enough. Now what? They were moving towards me, 29 of `em. I heard around 5 of them, coming from my right, down towards the corner… another 10 around the other way. Well, 5 are better than 10. So they should come first… And they would be closer together…. But what about the other 10… and the 14 of them not approaching? I kept my cane in reach, leaned on the desk, then pulled out my twin SMGs. I sprayed the 5 approaching, they all died, bullets tearing through their flesh. I finished the clips in the SMGs by spraying them randomly at where the 10 were approaching from. 2 of them were clipped with bullets, and fell, only injured with flesh wounds, but enough to keep them down.

I kicked my cane into my arms, and started shooting at the other 8, it took 3 shots, as they did not care to spread out. The other 2, took a pistol bullet.

The 14 left, weren't just there for support, I saw them setting up a turret. This could be the end, those things are deadly, and could break down the pillar I was standing behind in no time. I crawled under a desk, as they started to break down the pillar, the 12 who weren't operating the turret started moving around the pillar. I moved from desk to desk, and a group of 3 ASF saw me. I positioned them between me and the turret, hoping that the turret would notice, and stop shooting, to avoid killing his team mates. Obviously not so, as his bullets tore through them. He was obviously badly trained.

I grabbed a pistol and my sword, and shot the man firing the turret, then the man feeding the turret ammo.

9 left, all scattered across the lobby.

I moved towards the turret, sheathing my sword, and pulling out a reloaded SMG. I used these to kill a few units, before I jumped on top of the turret, and finished the rest. There was just enough ammo let through by the feeder before I killed him.

I saw the next door was the Minister's office. Finally, I was in the right room.

I heard two men saying "Quick Sir, get out of the building!", and they approached the door. As one opened it, I drove my sword into him, and the explosions shredded his gut. I then waited outside the door, and threw a pencil from one of the desks to the other side of the room. Instinctively, the man came out, pistol aimed at where I throw the pencil, so I gutted him with a pistol.

~+=+~

I then ran through the next door until I came outside. I walked out instinctively…then something hard struck me in the stomach. A plank of wood. It hit my belt, and that absorbed most of the blow. I clutched my sword, and grabbed my attacker.

I killed him slowly, made him spew out all the info on trades.

He often talked about how "Killing me won't do anything, someone will just take my place," and "No-one values you, no-one will help you when you need it."

I took these quotes on board.

I spent the next 3 hours, burning off his skin with my sword… I enjoyed it.

~+=+~

I heard a special detective was sent to find me.

I decided to find him first.

I heard his name on the television, and watched him for hours. In his daily routine. He didn't notice me at all.

One night, I confronted him in his home.

He told me he would kill me, and if I killed him, then the government would find me, and kill me. I had two memorable quotes to answer this challenge.

"Killing me won't do anything, someone will just take my place,"

and, knowing that the government wouldn't care if he died, being corrupt and cold;

"No-one values you, no-one will help you when you need it."

~+=+~

However, looking back on that now, I lied. I retired around 20 years ago, no-one has taken my place. No-one has opposed the totalitarian state that crushed my democracy, 7 years after I retired.

No-one is fighting. They won.

However, I did not lie about the government not caring about the detective. They just sent me another detective to kill.

He was replaced, like I said I was going to.

It's funny.

A leader of the government, said he would be replaced.

A government employee, said he couldn't be replaced.

A terrorist, said he should be replaced.

It seems everyone is replaceable in this totalitarian state, yet the ones who would rather not be replaced were, and the one who wanted to be succeeded wasn't.

The End.

-----------------

A cookie to whoever tells me what the main influence for this story was.

Yep, more violent short stories from me.

Probably isn't the best read for the weak-hearted.

--------------------------

.....snipped text.......

It’s funny.

A leader of the government, said he would be replaced.

A government employee, said he couldn’t be replaced.

A terrorist, said he should be replaced.

It seems everyone is replaceable in this totalitarian state, yet the ones who would rather not be replaced were, and the one who wanted to be succeeded wasn’t.

-----------------

A cookie to whoever tells me what the main influence for this story was.

Hey, this was pretty good! Twisted, sure, but well-done nonetheless. As to the influences for this story, being that the overall theme to this story is a short dive into the mind of a futuristic super-terrorist, the influences could be anything from the war in Iraq to the movie 'The Matrix' (I, II & III). Oddly enough, the sunglasses and flu mask called up unwanted images of Michael Jackson for some reason. For a brief moment, Jackson's strange little face was superimposed over that of your character in my mind, and it was, well, creepy. Scariest part of the whole thing, actually.

Nice work, very action-packed.

- Jillian

'The Matrix' (I, II & III).

The Matrix was extremely close, as it is a movie, and is about rebellion and such ;)

The Matrix was extremely close, as it is a movie, and is about rebellion and such ;)

Okay, so where's my cookie? :P

*gives you a cookie* ^_^