Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Peoria man gets life term in deaths of

__Kratos__

PEORIA -- A man prosecutors say is a serial killer who burned half of his victims to ash and bone in his back yard pleaded guilty to killing eight women Tuesday under a deal that will send him to prison for life rather than to Death Row.

Larry Bright, 39, pleaded guilty to seven counts of first-degree murder and one count of drug-induced homicide in the deaths of women whose bodies were burned or dumped along little-traveled central Illinois roads during a 15-month killing spree in 2003 and 2004.

Under the deal with prosecutors, who had sought the death penalty, the former concrete worker also waived all appeal rights and will serve the entire life sentence in a maximum-security prison without the possibility of parole.

Bright said "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" in response to questions from the judge but otherwise did not address the courtroom.

Attorney Jeff Page read a statement from Bright: "I know I've committed some horrible and unthinkable acts. I am very sorry for the grief and heartache that I have caused."

"I think it's a fair resolution," defense attorney Jay Elmore said outside court. "This guy is never going to see the light of day, and he knows he should never see the light of day."

Bright was charged in three deaths before accepting the plea agreement. But prosecutors said he confessed to eight killings after he was arrested in late 2004 by a task force investigating the deaths and disappearances of black women who authorities say all led lives that included drugs and prostitution.

The plea agreement required Bright to publicly admit all eight killings, which prosecutors say provides closure for families of victims, especially the missing women. Authorities say DNA tests have been unable to identify charred pieces of bone recovered from about a half-dozen sites.

Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why didn't they just shoot him? <_< A single bullet, around a dollar compared to over $40,000 dollars a year in keeping him alive. Not a hard choice, in my opinion.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• mypaddedroom

• Conspiracy

• Idriss

Wow. What goes so wrong with these people that they do these things? I don't think they feel anything. No remorse, nothing. :no:

Why didn't they just shoot him? disgust.gif A single bullet, around a dollar compared to over $40,000 dollars a year in keeping him alive. Not a hard choice, in my opinion.

Agreed

Why didn't they just shoot him? disgust.gif A single bullet, around a dollar compared to over $40,000 dollars a year in keeping him alive. Not a hard choice, in my opinion.

Agreed

same here however, that still counts as muder lol ;)

Why didn't they just shoot him? <_< A single bullet, around a dollar compared to over $40,000 dollars a year in keeping him alive. Not a hard choice, in my opinion.

Well I'd rather have the man suffer to be honest instead of him dying instantly and not feelin no pain or no remorse for what he done. Personal opinion

Shoot out his knee caps! Ouch!

Well I'd rather have the man suffer to be honest instead of him dying instantly and not feelin no pain or no remorse for what he done. Personal opinion

prison is suffering? man u really need to see what its like in there, u get so much crap and u got guards keeping u safe and stuff.. they got more rights in there then u and me do lol

I know that he did some horrendous things, but in the end I do not and can not support the death penalty. However I am for life impressments in extreme cases such as the one mentioned here.