Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New shark discovered in US waters

__Kratos__

user posted image

A new type of hammerhead shark has been discovered in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean, marine scientists say.

The shark resembles a common species called the scalloped hammerhead but has not yet been classified or named.

US researchers say the animal appears to be rare, breeding only in waters off the South Carolina coast.

They believe the shark is at risk of extinction and conservation efforts are needed to protect females when they are raising their pups.

The shark was discovered by a biology professor at the University of South Carolina.

Dr Joe Quattro became curious about a common coastal shark called the scalloped hammerhead shark while studying coastal fish.

Genetic studies revealed that there was a second "cryptic" species - that is, "genetically distinct" from the scalloped hammerhead.

Nursery grounds

The shark appears to breed only in waters off South Carolina, although adults swim into waters off Florida and North Carolina.

Small areas of coastline are significant to certain species and it is so important to consider shark conservation on an area by area basis

Ali Hood, Shark Trust

"If South Carolina's waters are the primary nursery grounds for the cryptic species and females gather here to reproduce, these areas should be conservation priorities," said Dr Quattro.

"Management plans are needed to ensure that these sharks are not adversely impacted so that we can learn more."

Scientists plan to tag the shark so they can understand more about its range.

Ali Hood, director of conservation at the Shark Trust in the UK, said with only 454 recorded species of shark in the wild, it was exciting to discover another one.

"It shows how small areas of coastline are significant to certain species and it is so important to consider shark conservation on an area by area basis," she said.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helluva find. :tu: I find it a tad annoying when people look at the sky and think that's the only place left to humans to find and discover when our oceans are so very little explored.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• frogfish

• OlDrippy34

• Doctor_Strangelove

We know more about the moon then we do about the oceans floors :tu:

Nice find...Probably fight like a hammerhead also.

I was hoping it would have laserbeams on it's forhead. Oh well, I guess I can always hold out for an ill tempered sea bass.

Yeah I wonder if it is as agressive as a known hammerhead? Again, another reason for me to stay out of the ocean!! :D

Hammerheads used too freak me out but the one in the pic looks kinda cute, and since they're endangerd i'll have a lil more compassion for them.

Edited by VonnaNegra

Hammerheads used too freak me out but the one in the pic looks kinda cute, and if their endangerd i'll have more copassin for them.

What is copassin? :huh:

sorry,that was a typo, but i fixed it

Oh, sorry. :D I understand now!! I thought you had something weird for them! :lol:

Finaly, a new species in the US. You hardly ever find any here anymore.

Finaly, a new species in the US. You hardly ever find any here anymore.

Uhhh, over 100 new species have been found in N. America, (60 in the U.S.) in the last year :)

Another reason for me to hate the water. There's monsters in there, maaan. All kinds of monsters that want nothing other than to bleed me dry.

What if it's endangered for reasons we have nothing to do with? The vast majority of extinctions didn't need our help at all, it's rather arrogant of us to think we can save a species that may well be nearing the end of it's run anyhow.

Okay, so we did kill off the dodo and some other animals, but yanno, we're amateurs compared to mother nature. She goes big, man!

Agh! I hate it when there is a thread about sharks and people say stuff like "another reason to stay out of the water". That kind of attitude is the reason some shark species are endangered. Shark attacks are rare at the most.

I find sharks very cool. Especially hammerheads.

Edited by MJB222

Agh! I hate it when there is a thread about sharks and people say stuff like "another reason to stay out of the water". That kind of attitude is the reason some shark species are endangered. Shark attacks are rare at the most.

And it's only 3 species that have ever killed a human.

Sharks are also very fun to catch on rod and reel.

Just because I find sharks terrifying doesn't mean I go out shark hunting and endanger them. It simply means sharks scare the crap out of me, as do most things that live in water. They all want me to bleed.

I find sharks very cool. Especially hammerheads.

I just don't want to go in the water with them. I don't advocate killing them at all. I believe they belong there and I belong on terra firma. :yes: I'll make castles on the beach and be perfectly happy there.

No they don't.

What, did you talk to every animal in the sea and they revealed their lack of bloodlust for my blood in particular? Don't get all uptight because I made a joke.

Edit-Because they do.

Edited by OlDrippy34

I just don't want to go in the water with them. I don't advocate killing them at all. I believe they belong there and I belong on terra firma. :yes: I'll make castles on the beach and be perfectly happy there.

The beach isn't safe either, I found a dead octopus and it scaed the **** out of me. :cry: