Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New email virus warning

Magikman

There is a new email virus you need to be made aware of. Click HERE for more information.

Magikman  :sh

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• PurpleStuart

• Magikman

• Kira

:st Ty Magikman

not a very nice thing  :s9

Thanks for the warning there is also one that goes through email

and it says:

"a virtual card for you"

Beware of those also.

I keep getting sent E-Mails from various addresses and with various titles, but each of them has a variation of this :

This is a new game

This game is my first work.

You're the first player.

I hope you would like it.

Each one has slightly different wording. I  can't see any attachments or any other potential virus-carrying additions to the E-Mails. Anyone else got anything like this ?

Yes, i spent a fun day last week clearing Klez from my companies' network. took most of a day, and there is still one laptop which is not functioning very happily atm.

Be warned too that Klez also disguises itself as mailer-daemon messages telling you that the message you sent was undeliverable - and has an attachment which proports to be the email you sent out. The idea being that it hopes you will want to open the letter out of curiousity to see which one it was that you sent out that didn't reach it's destination. It isn't a message but the virus and if you open it it will infect your PC (Macs are immune to Klez).

SaRuMaN - that is Klez.h as well.

more info here

Also be warned that you don't need to open the attachment to start the virus infecting. If you haven't patched MS Office with SR-1a then just looking at or previewing the email will run the attachment.

This is how the system at my work got it.

PS,

Thanks for letting me know - I'm using Outlook ever since my Outlook Express stopped working, and I was a bit concerned that unlike Outlook Express, script files are not treated as attachments and seem to run by themselves.

I'm going to go and download SR1a in just a few minutes.

:su

Actually it seems that Outlook XP blocks harmful E-Mail attachments by default, which is why I can't view them. I ran a Klez cleaning tool and it seems that I don't have the virus on my computer.  SR1a is only for Outlook 2000 or other earlier versions, so I wasn't able to install it anyway.

:sk

Geeesh... I hope I never get any of those suckers

Sorry yep your right, 2000 only... i deal with it so much i forget there are other versions  ;D