Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time Travel Paradoxes

Saru

Paradoxes resulting from time travel may be a significant problem in the future, or they be the reason why time travel isnt possible at all. Here's an example of a paradox - see what you think.

If a man went back in time to kill his father, and succeeded, then the man would no longer exist, and the motive would have disappeared since there would be no father to kill. However in that case he would never have gone back in time to kill his father, and his father would still be alive in the past, so he would again have a motive to go back and kill him, in which case he wouldn't exist and he wouldnt have gone back to kill his father............ :-/

The logic of this is impossible to grasp, and I can't see how this could ever occur in reality.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Homer

• cerberus

• JoJoBinks

I believe time becomes a paradox because humans are stuck in their own frame of reference with respect to time.  Stepping out of the confines of human conceptuality will bring the experiencer of time into a more relative frame of reference and the initiating of contact as understood by humans outside of the parameters of these concepts would be able to more clearly witnessed and experienced.  Noting here that "EXPERIENCE" is relative to time.

Experience does not necessarily reflect upon interaction within the parameters of the time reference in which one finds himself, but to those of the universe outside the realm of the parameters of the confines of earth-bound understandings.

I agree - I think our understand and perceptions of time is inadequate to allow full understanding of what it really is. Even if we did find out a way of travelling through time, we have a long way to go before we would be able to fully perceive how time works, and what may happen if we do ever manage to travel through it.

And who would believe us if we did!  I have shared the "going back in time" event in my life and while some comment with respect to "believe it" because they know me and have learned to respect me and my sharings and that my posts are genuine; however, interestinly enough, I STILL can't believe that my life is any different from others, but slowly that realization is coming forward.  At one point I began to feel I wasn't alone on this planet, having the experiences I have had, but low and behold, I speak with ease of my experience and knowledge as given to me by my "Guides".  I feel totally and wonderfully a part of the universe, and I expected everyone on this planet to have some idea of what I am talking about and low and behold there are those who are responding to my posts and saying..."Say what?  I can't grasp it.."  They believe what I share is true, but have a very difficult time comprehending it!!!!!  You know, that can be a lonely walk I walk.. :-[

• 4 months later...

In theory, if time travel is possible, then who knows if traveling through time would instead open dimensional drifts or gateways, hence the traveler would then travel to another dimension instead of his reality and end up somewhere else.  The notion every actions cause an infinite number of reactions to occure is truly possible, but then that would mean that time travel is almost virtuly impossible by means that there would be too many varibles to account for, such as the time - space - and dimension that you would travel to.  And I believe that I am going to stop now, otherwise I shall end up with a headache, and besides I'm rambling.

Farv, I completely agree with you. The idea of Time Travel opens up a can of worms... each new explanation opens up a totally new paradox, which could be explained with a theory, but then each theory comes up with many variables... it certainly does give ME a headache. I believe that unless we make a LOT of breakthroughs in the near future, our generation or maybe even our next generation won't see Time Travel logically. I think we're just gonna have to wit until these hidden variables can be uncovered by science. Oh well. Patience is a virtue.

Adam

The way I comprehend it, going back in time would be like entering a new reality, where, without you being there, things would end up with how you know them in your reality. Your presence would change that reality and therefore alter the future of that realty.  However, in your realty, nothing has changed, except for your absence. In your realty, the past has already happened and therefore cannot be changed.

I suppose I'm describing a case of parallel worlds existing on different time scales, where you can bridge over from one world to the next.

oh dear, seem to be rambling a bit....better stop.

One more point... perhaps it is possible to look back in time. We know that the light emitted from stars millions of light years away has taken that long to reach us and so we are in fact looking at what that star used to look like. What if light from the earth could be reflected back from these stars.... we would be looking at what our Earth looked like in the past. hmmm  sounds confusing.. :-/

Perhaps, God is not God, but perhaps somewhere in the distant future, we as a species has perfected time travel and we are our own creation.  Sometimes an effect may not logically follow an actions.  But then again, back to the possibilities and infinite loopholes, we may never know.   ??? ??? ???

• 1 year later...

i agree with saruman.... you know in terminator 1 when kyle comes back telling sarah that her son will lead the rebellion against the machines...if kyle hadn't come back to make sarah pregnant, then sarah's son, john wouldn't exist... The terminator came back to kill sarah before she had john, so that makes sense, but they didn't know kyle was the father.if kyle wasn't around to make sarah pregnant first time, the son wouldn't exist, and the machines wouldn't have a reason to come back.So the robots taking over would have happened anyway, but sarah's son wouldn't be a rebel, because he doesn't exist.

• 4 months later...
Perhaps, God is not God, but perhaps somewhere in the distant future, we as a species has perfected time travel and we are our own creation.

Deep stuff man!

Thats kind of confusing wacko.gif

Lets take a philosophical look at this then .

If you where to be sent back in time and managed to alter the course of events that made life what you knew it once was , then in reality wouldn't the only person really effected by this be you ,the person who new what could have been as every one else would just remember it as history

Let's not forget that if you where to be sent back in time you may be able to use what ever knowledge you have to save people that could possibly invent things like cures to cancer or even advance our technologies some how.

I personally wouldn't mind a go at it my self , of course I think I had better research my familly tree first biggrin.gif

But what if you did go back in time and altered history so that the chain of events actually got yourself killed before the time machine was invented. Would that mean that there is a second reality? Or does it mean since you were killed prior to the invention of the time machine, you never went back in time to alter anything, therefore history wasn't altered? wacko.gif

• 3 weeks later...

(FarvLarion @ Aug 20 2001, 05:34 AM)

Perhaps, God is not God, but perhaps somewhere in the distant future, we as a species has perfected time travel and we are our own creation.

hang on, so you are saying that us in the future created ourselves in the past, but if we were to create ourselves, so somewhere, we didnot create ourselves.......unless god is an advanced time travelling human who comes back in time to create the race which he will be the decendant of blah blah blahdy blah blah blah blink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harsh rajat

if you ask my opinion---

i'd say that when we will go back in time ...

nothing will change neither dimensions.... nor space...

however our body will not remain solid.... that is we will not be able to touch sense.. or inform anybody about anything.....

as the first post pointed out

similarly if we destroy a object before we are born than the object won't be destroyed at all

thats why i say that though we will observe the past or future still we will have no power to change it from there only....

from here comes the theory that why ghosts are sometime visible...

maybe they are visiting there past or future...

and for that matter... thats why some ghosts could only be seen(they doesn't harm you, do they) its because that they have no power to harm you or for that matter do anything

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have two movies for you:

Time Cop (Van Damn)

and this one called APEX. its a sci fi and touches about the whole change the past thingy. Its actually a great movie IMO. Not one of the real famous ones. Came out in the late 90's, no big named actors in it but still good.

i believe time travel will be found to be impossible. if you leave this time and go to another in the time you were sposed to exist would be too little matter/energy in the time you went to would be too much, not to mention copies of the same matter/energy in the time you went to. this paradox would occure even if time travel created a splinter universe.

Ok look:

If I went back in time and killed my father, then he would be dead, and I would not exist in anyone's memories anywhere. But I wont just bleep out of existence. I could travel back to the present from where I came from and I would be there but no one would have any memory of my existance, hence I'd be just some Jon Doe. Sorta like the movie 12 Monkeys when there was no record of him in the past when he went back.

Ok?!?!?

Also, I have a way for everyone to see if they will ever reach time travel in their lifetimes:

First note the date, time, and your location, and be alone and easily acessable, aka not in prison type of thing. Now, if you EVER live to be able to reach time travel, go back to the date and place you just memorised and tell yourself its possible. I am still waiting for myself, I gave me another year to do it. Jan 1st, 2004.......