Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis/Antarctica coverup

TheRealDiehl

Many countries tried to claim ownership over the land in Antarctica, but it is entirely an internationaly recognized soveriegn continent. Why? All governments of the countries staying there are doing research on the ice there. What can be so damn interesting about ice that would take years of research? Antarctica has already proven to be free of ice at one time, millions if not hundreds of thousands of years ago. I don't think the ice is as old as we're being told it is. Why? Because I came upon some interesting facts. I know that after WWII America went there based off the belief that Antarctica was home to a lost civilisation. There have been several ancient, and even more modern (1450AD-1600AD) maps, the more modern based off of ancient maps, depicting Antarctica free of ice, at least along a majority of it's coastal land. Why would America and other countries suspect that Atarctica homed a lost civilisation, and why after WWII. I think that we've always suspected something of Antarctica ever since the old maps were found, and I believe that when Antarctica was first explored, there might have been some anomolies, or just unexplained happenings that led the US to discover that the lost civilisation wasn't lost, but hiding, and we finally gained thier interest only after we developed atomic warfare, and proved that we could be a threat someday. That is why there is such Diplomacy over Antarctica, and it's hiding civilisation is hidden to us through a government coverup over the specific age of the continent. Recon aircraft under Atlantian rule would spring about the UFO sightings, and our journey to Antarctica after WWII would spring the theory of Nazi UFO bases and the such. Both of those theories draw attention away from Atlantis's (or what ever they may call themselves) existence. Please provide either supporting or disproving evidence, and if you have any theories please share them, but please provide hard evidence, and not any psychic mumbo jumbo, cuz you're not foolin me.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antares

• PurpleStuart

• Athlon64

• TheRealDiehl

The idea that Atlantis (or a similiarly ancient civilisation) is hidden under the ice is one that Graham Hancock bases his ideas around in his book "Fingerprints of the gods". He uses the possibility of Crust Dispacement theory to put the possibility of an 'ice free' Antartica as close to present day time as possible. He himself now distances himself from this theory and his book as unscientific and has rectified his theories accordingly in his latest books.

The facts are that there are at least three maps from the 16th century which show antartica partially or completely without ice of which the 1513 Piri reis map is the most famous. The astounding thing about this map in particular is that it shows Antartica's coastline as it is under the ice, something we didn't know until 1949 when a joint swedish/english team went over with radar to find it out - the ice cap there is a mile thick - it was last possibly ice free at 4000BC. It also shows the coastline with great acuracy, showing a knowledge of latitude which was not possible for a further 300yrs approx (as you need an accurate chonometer to measure latitude accurately). indeed Antartica wasn't even discovered until 1818!

The Piri Reis map was made by/for a Turkish Admiral in 1513 and on the map itself it says that it has been compiled from earlier far older maps, but who made those maps?

The answer to your other question, why do so many goverments take interest in Antartica - it has nothing to do with Antlantis and a whole heap to do with Oil reserves

Because I came upon some interesting facts. I know that after WWII America went there based off the belief that Antarctica was home to a lost civilisation.

You meant the kingdom of Agharta?The kingdom whose alledgedly through the Earth's interior hole?It is said that Hitler and his men (scientists etc...) escaped through that very hole at the remaining days of the WWII...... ph34r.gif

Hi, TheRealDiehl and welcome to the Forum!

I was recently reviewing a scientific paper dealing with dust transport from Patagonia to Antarctica - the Antarctic polar ice-core records mentioned in the study are dating back from the Last Glacial Maximum (about 18 000 years ago). They ice-core material was drilled from 2 meters below the surface. The station where the ice record was taken is called Dome C located approximately 75 degrees South. Seems very unreasonable to me to believe that this place was "ice-free" ever...

Well I like this one. It is very interesting. I have heard of the hole theory and of Hitlers possible escape through it.

For another interesting look at what's under the Ice I refer you to "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.p. Lovecraft.

I'd also like to add that a famous WW2 admiral along with a fleet of warships, straight after the end of the war in europe, went to antartica, a campaign that is not commonly known, alot of aircraft were lost, and the campaign was a failure. It is rumored that a Nazi base is there (during WW2 germany established a base there and named the region New schwabland), apparently america attacked the base to stamp out the nazis once and for all but it turned sour.....

antares - There are a lot of theories which can explain an ice free Antarctica, but the most obvious one is tectonics (sp?) which would have allowed Antarctica to be ice free but in the far far distant past. I would very much like to read this study you mention about the LGM is it on the web?

It is actually LONGITUDE that requires a very accurate chronometer to be measured precisely.

Chris Low.

PurpleStuart,

The paper is “Dust Transport to Dome C, Antarctica, at the Last Glacial Maximum and present day” published in Geophysical Research Letters, 2001. It’s available on-line but only for GRL subscribers. I have a PDF file if you are interested. I have to warn you though that the topic is very specific and deals mostly with the amount of dust in the air during the last glacial maximum. The authors prove that the Earth was cold, dusty and bare 15 000 year ago. The paper also states that for the last 15 000 – 18 000 years Antarctica was permafrost and covered with ice.

You are right that tectonics can allow Antarctica to be ice-free in the far distant past. Some people try to explain the ice-free Antarctica with the Earth’s precession around its axis; personally I think it is not very reasonable… On Mars may be, because its axis tilts a lot, but not on Earth…

So I don’t know if Nazi had camps on Antarctica or if there is a ice-free map of a Turkish Admiral in sixteenth century, in my opinion Antarctica was covered with ice and snow at least for the last 50 000 years.

The axial tilt of Mars is almost identical to that of Earth.

Actually the axial tilt of Mars shifts. I recall few studies that demonstrate that the tilt angle of Mars fluctuates over a 50 million year period between 10 and 50 degrees. This result has great implication on the the appearance and disappearance of polar ice caps on Mars.