Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Isabelle - She followed them home

Agent_21

Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon, reputedly one of the most haunted spots in England, harbours several apparitions, some of which have alarming effects on witnesses and alarming legends attached. The Woman in Blue attempts to lure the living to areas of the castle where they are liable to have an accident. The White Lady brings death within a year to the witness, so they say, although unlike the Blue Lady this is not supported by recent evidence.

A local man, Bob Daulby, once attempted, along with his wife and an ASSAP investigator, to contact the White Lady through a ouija board. Whatever the entity they contacted was, it identified itself thus and then proceeded to use the most foul and unrepeatable language. Another of Bob's forays into the castle's supernatural realm had more alarming effects. A ghost followed him home.

Bob Daulby was among a group holding a ghost watch at Berry on Midsummer's Eve 1983. The rest of the group comprised local writers Deryck Seymore and Jack Hazzard as well as Peter Underwood and a psychic called Elaine. Once midnight had passed without incident, most of the group left. Bob and Elaine continued the vigil along with a couple who had arrived earlier by motorbike.

Bob and Elaine remained at one end of the Rampart Walk while the two descended into the dungeon of St Margeret's Tower - the haunt of the White Lady. Time passed until in Bob's words:

'At 2.50am Elaine and I were enjoying a peaceful night. I bent down to pour myself some hot soup, when suddenly and without warning, the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I was gripped with a fear I had never before experienced. I was terrified and what made matters worse was the fact that I could neither see nor feel any reason to be so afraid'

He turned to the psychic and tried in vain to utter a sound, any sound. He noticed that her face was contorted and realised that his own was too, in a futile effort to scream. Elaine was transfixed on the stairhead and pointed in mute terror at something he himself could not see. Two or maybe three seconds later an unbelievable sound erupted from the castle depths. The girl who had been sitting all the while in the dungeon screamed at such a pitch the whole castle seemed to be screaming. In Bob's words ' Suddenly on a warm summer's night in the heart of Devon madness reigned.'

'No-one can imagine the utter terror that we all felt unless they had been there in person,' he went on. 'Whatever the power was it had us all in such a grip of fear...It was a force much greater than I had ever experienced before. At last I managed to control my emotions and get to grips with the situation. As soon as we could utter a word of rational conversation we decided then and there to leave the castle to its own destiny and interfere no more. But it was as if the entity - whatever it was - followed us out of the grounds and none of us felt completely free until we had passed the lodge.'

To follow: Isabelle makes her entrance...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent_21

• Cufflink

• dancin'hamster

• Halo_Jones

I hope a certain ghost-hunting young lady is paying attention to this. dontgetit.gif

Yes I am.......... I've heard this before!

Little pickle follows the researchers home and.........well, I'll let Agent give you the details!

And don't worry ~ I'll be checking my bags on Sunday morning to make sure no ghosties are trying to stow-away home with me.

laugh.gif

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

Hammy x x x

And don't worry ~ I'll be checking my bags on Sunday morning to make sure no ghosties are trying to stow-away home with me.

But I do worry about you, honeybunch.

I'm just a big worry-wort. crying.gif

I'm big enough and ugly enough to look after myself Cuffs so don't worry!

I also don't really believe that any 'spirits' will latch onto me ~ they seem to like the Crown far too much to want to leave original.gif

:

Make sure you do. And remember to dress with the weather too.

A:21

Dress with the weather?

What does the 'Ghost-Hunter-About-Town' wear this season?

I'm having difficulty finding some sensible shoes.........have LOADS of shoes but can't decide which ones will be best..........decisions, decisions.........there'll be no room in my bunny-back-pack for any ghoulies & ghosties.....

Hammy x x x

my bunny-back-pack

!! ohmy.gif

Part2.

It was three days before Elaine could bring herself to describe what she had seen. All she could discern in fact was a black cloud, but a huge one which she sensed embodied all the evil in the world. She decided then and there never to enter the castle precincts again.

By contrast, Bob Daulby, having recovered from his experience, became intrigued and made several return visits at various times of day. There were no further episodes so he turned to ouija, and one evening Bob, his wife Anne, a couple of friends and the psychic Elaine convened at his house. They did not have to wait long for something to happen.

The glass moved erratically at first and then speedily around the board. Bob called for it to slow down and give a name. It slowed briefly enough to spell I-S-A-B-E-L-L-E then sped up again, pursuing a crazy path around the board. Elaine put a hand to her mouth and with a shocked expression asked if this was the same person she had sensed at the castle. The glass stopped dead: YES. More speeding round the board ensued and a familiar feeling of panic began to grow. The atmosphere in the room was electric. 'How old are you?' asked Bob, attempting to impose some sense of order. 'NINE' came the reply.

A few moments later Elaine screamed and took her finger off the glass. 'I've just seen her. She's horrible; perfectly horrid! I couldn't see her body, just her head poking out of the tabletop. She was looking at me and grinning. She's horrible - I'm not staying here.' Nothing could make her stay, and she left the house slamming the door as she went.

After these events they decided to call it a day. Anne retired to bed leaving Bob downstairs with the other two who couldn't bring themselves to go out into the night. Presently Elaine returned and asked to stay since she couldn't face the dark either.

An hour passed unremarkably, except for a distinct chill around the house. The quiet was broken by a scream from upstairs. Bob rushed upstairs to his wife not knowing what he'd find. Anne was huddled in a ball under the quilt. She's wrapped herself so tightly it took some moments to release her grip. She was just drifting into sleep, Anne explained, when she felt something sitting on the back of her legs. Thinking it was Bob, she'd told him to get of. The weight remained and she began to get annoyed, but it wasn't Bob, it was Isabelle! 'She was sitting on my legs. When she turned her head and our eyes met she just grinned at me - a really evil grin. Her eyes looked dead, and that grin. There was no humour in it. I knew she wanted to harm me. She wants to harm every one in the house. She's evil.'

Another scream came from downstairs.

oooooooohhhhhhh I LOVE this story Agent!!!!!!

sorry to hear you have RSI ~ I'm a sufferer myself. The only thing that stops the pain is Herbal Oils......fab stuff, if a little 'fragrant' tongue.gif

Hammy x x x

PS ~ My bunny-back-pack is sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute I'll have you know *waggles finger*

PS ~ My bunny-back-pack is sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute I'll have you know *waggles finger*

Oh I'm sure it is.

After 'dress with the weather', more folk wisdom from Old Mother Agent. Iron a cabbage leaf and hold it over the painful joint... Its not that bad actually compared to the last time. My wrists and fingers have been much busier since joining UM. rolleyes.gif My fault for typing in uncomfortable positions I suppose.

It is a good story and more will follow soon.

This truly is an unpleasant story.

I'm particularly chilled by the reference to the black cloud, and it's connection to an evil presence.

In our last house, my mother woke to see a black cloud just like this, `swarming' several feet above her. She felt paralyzed with fear, and said she sensed that it was aware of her.

I've seen several references to satanic rites being performed there. Only rumour. The castle was derelict for a very long time before coming to the attention of the tourist trade. Anything might have gone on there. Several leys are supposed to converge there too.

A:21

Black clouds?

These have figured on several poltergiest cases...........the Runcorn one, being the most recent. A cluster of negative ions perhaps?

Hammy x x x

A cluster of negative ions perhaps?

huh.gif

Oooh, get you, Dr Science Pants. wink2.gif

*Cuff digs out Junior Scaredy's Book of Thickie Science for Thickies*

see?

I is cleva tongue.gif

*Cuff rubs hands together in anticipation*

Right then, Agent.

Where's part three? huh.gif

Part 3

This time the scream came from Elaine. Bob rushed downstairs to be confronted by three very pallid faces. 'Look,' said Elaine pointing, 'She's sitting in that chair, laughing at us. can't you see her? She's evil! Look at her.' Bob looked but could see nothing at all. Elaine went on, 'She's still there and she's laughing at you now.'

Bob plucked up courage and sat down in the chair Elaine was pointing at. He knew he couldn't let Isabelle rule their fear like this. Perhaps she would sense his own feelings though, he was terrified himself. Then Elaine cried out that Isabelle was running from the room and going upstairs to Anne again. He ran upstairs and shouted at her to sit in the chair he had just vacated and not move.

In fact the whole night was taken up with Isabelle moving from person to person, frightening each into a state of exhaustion. The house remained cold and clammy until dawn broke and the sun seemed to chase the ghostly visitor away. The various friends made their ways home and too sleep. But if they thought Isabelle had gone, they were very mistaken...

Later that afternoon, just as the Daulbys were thinking it was all over, Isabelle returned with a vengeance. Elaine, who lived only four doors away, dashed up the path to their house and told them that Isabelle had been rushing up and tapping her on the back! She had taken as much of this as she could but now Isabelle had followed her to their house, Bob Daulby could now feel her presence even more strongly. 'Apparently,' he said, 'she must have been very strong for a non-psychic like me to feel her.' 'I had not known what fear was until I felt that first touch.'

For the next three days things continued much as they had begun. The nights were terrifying and the days little better. The house remained chilled. The three were at their wits end. Bob phoned the couple who had been there on the first night, but they had not been bothered by the monstrous little girl. 'We all thought it would never end and sorely wished we had never been to Berry Pomeroy,' he said.

Finally on the third night Bob Daulby had a strange dream and on waking he knew he had Isabelle beaten. 'I knew she could not possibly harm me again, and knowing this made me able to convince Anne and Elaine to fear her no longer.

That evening Bob brought out the ouija board again knowing that Isabelle would communicate. Anne and Elaine were the only others present as the glass once again took off. Isabelle was present once more. Bob told her plainly that he was no longer afraid of her, she was just a little girl, it was not her they disliked but the frightening things she did. Over a period of nine months, through the ouija board, they were able to learn more of Isabella and her history...

It's intriguing. What made `Isabelle' so powerful, to be able to act in the way it did?

I'm back!!!!!!!!

And the only thing that followed me home was a cold sad.gif

*snorts back snot*

Bunged-Up Hammy x x x

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif OOOhhh this is a very scary story.

More Please Agent 21. original.gif