Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wind Farm killing Eagles

frogfish

Wind farm 'hits eagle numbers'

The white-tailed eagle is one of Europe's largest birds of prey

Wind farm turbine blades are killing a key population of Europe's largest bird of prey, UK wildlife campaigners warn.

The RSPB says nine white-tailed eagles have been killed on the Smola islands off the Norwegian coast in 10 months, including all of last year's chicks.

Chick numbers at the species' former stronghold have plummeted since the wind farm was built, with breeding pairs at the site down from 19 to one.

Scientists fear wind farms planned elsewhere could also harm birds.

And there are fears Britain's small population of the birds could be adversely affected.

Fewer chicks

The number of chicks born each year at the site has fallen from at least 10 to three last year, with births outside the borders of the site falling too.

The impact of wind farms has long been a concern or ornithologists

Only one chick is expected to fledge from the site this year.

Smola, a set of islands 10km (six miles) off the north-west coast of Norway, was designated an Important Bird Area by Birdlife International in 1989 because it had one of the highest densities of white-tailed eagles in the world.

Scientists now fear wind farms planned for the rest of Norway could have a similar impact on the birds.

RSPB conservation director Mark Avery told BBC News more care needed to be taken when choosing a site for wind farms. He said: "The problem is if wind farms are put in stupid places where there are lots of vulnerable birds and lots of vulnerable rare birds."

He said most wind farms would not cause any harm to birds but that the Smola wind farm had been badly sited in a place where it put white-tailed eagles at risk.

He added: "It seems these birds are flying around a lot of the time and they're colliding with the wind turbines and being killed in big numbers.

"So this colony that is very important - was very important - has been practically wiped out because this wind farm was built in exactly the wrong place."

Careful planning urged

The RSPB says it supports renewable energy, including wind farms, as a way of tackling climate change, which it sees as the biggest threat to wildlife.

But it is urging developers and governments to take the potential impact on wildlife such as eagles properly into consideration when planning new wind farms in future.

Researchers are now running weekly checks for dead birds at the 68-turbine Smola site, with both conservationists and the wind farm operator calling on the Norwegian government to improve its environmental impact assessments of such sites.

And the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research has launched a four-year study at the site to assess the impact of the turbines on various species of birds and the ability of white tailed eagles to adapt to them.

Meanwhile, Statkraft, which operates the Smola site, says it is doing everything it can to find a solution to the problem.

Link

---------------------

I hope preventive action is taken to help protect the eagles.

Start one good thing, hurt another...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• Urisk

• Celumnaz

• lowbro

So what do they suggest we do?? Just keep digging out the ground and use fossil fuels til there's nothing left? Some people are never happy. If they're so damned smart why don't THEY invent a new sustainable energy source!

Yes it's terrible, but I think the alternative (ie. carrying on as normal) is a MUCH worse option!

RKD

So what do they suggest we do?? Just keep digging out the ground and use fossil fuels til there's nothing left? Some people are never happy. If they're so damned smart why don't THEY invent a new sustainable energy source!

Yes it's terrible, but I think the alternative (ie. carrying on as normal) is a MUCH worse option!

RKD

Agreed RKD :tu:

I still think there can be a way to protect the eagles and keep the farm running...

Edited by frogfish

Agreed RKD :tu:

Thank you! How long will it take people to wake up and realise?

And Frogfish, how about fitting the mills with a huge mesh round the blades so's they look like really big desk fans? :lol:

RKD

And Frogfish, how about fitting the mills with a huge mesh round the blades so's they look like really big desk fans

Lol! That would work...

Methinks we should go into business, my friend! Completely environmentally friendly wind farms... and they could be red... just to set them aside from the grey ones! :tu::lol:

RKD

Methinks we should go into business, my friend! Completely environmentally friendly wind farms... and they could be red... just to set them aside from the grey ones!

RKD

I can see it now...Giant Desk Fans Inc.

The Bird Friendly Energy :)

can't we train the eagles to stop running into the windmills, or are they just too Stupid?

I like the windmills out here near McCamey. I like em alot. They're freakin Huge... how could an "eagle eye" miss em!?

Maybe find a frequency that hurts their ears an attach whistles to the ends of the blades that produce that frequency when the blades are spinning? Works on Deer with the bumper/tire whistles... most of the time...

Cant seem to take a step foward without taking a step backward :no:

Pro: Clean Energy

Con: Killing Native Bird species that is probably keystone

Do we take the good with the bad? Solve the problem?

I just think that "we" try to solve one problem and just create new ones?

We are not that superior

I just think that "we" try to solve one problem and just create new ones?

:tu: unintended concequences. I agree with that!!!

can't we train the eagles to stop running into the windmills, or are they just too Stupid?

I like the windmills out here near McCamey. I like em alot. They're freakin Huge... how could an "eagle eye" miss em!?

Maybe find a frequency that hurts their ears an attach whistles to the ends of the blades that produce that frequency when the blades are spinning? Works on Deer with the bumper/tire whistles... most of the time...

Train wild birds? Tell me how you train wild birds?

I think what might be happening is the birds can't see the blades as they turn. Cageing the blades will be expensive, but I can't see any other way.