Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saving The Dolphins

harmonious2006

Saving The Dolphins

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am sure you are aware that still in some parts of the world Dolphins and

Whales are still being hunted for food. As with most Western countries this

act has been outlawed in our waters, and many conservation projects are in

force at present to try and protect these wonderful creatures.

They need your help; there is an annual slaughter of many types of Dolphins

and Whales by the PRO WHALING nations, this alone still disgusts me as I am

sure it disgusts you too.

But look at these links, what is happening in a remote fishing village in

southern JAPAN is truly shocking.

http://www.earthisland.org/saveTaijiDolphins/

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/dolphin/dolphin.shtml

Please Help

Richard Johnston

Supporter:

Greenpeace

W.D.C.S (Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society)

WWF (World Wild Life Fund)

Born Free Foundation

Oxfam

Amnesty International

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• greeneyedoll

• Doctor_Strangelove

• harmonious2006

:no: I love dolphins, as I do most animals, and I'm sorry to say that I'm taking sides with the hippies. :blush: Not to mention I am losing respect for Japan very rapidly.

Eating a cow is one thing, eating a dolphin is another. Dolphins are intelligent, while cows are stupid.

Edited by MJB222

And cows are much, much more plentiful than dolphins :yes:

It's upseting to see it happen, bears and dolphins being killed.

I wish they stoped it, put a ban on hunting bears and dolphins and other animals. :cry:

put a ban on hunting

That, I don't agree with....

:no: I love dolphins, as I do most animals, and I'm sorry to say that I'm taking sides with the hippies. :blush: Not to mention I am losing respect for Japan very rapidly.

Eating a cow is one thing, eating a dolphin is another. Dolphins are intelligent, while cows are stupid.

Dolphin is great. Little better than shark. Really you should try it yummy yummy in my tummy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dolphin is great. Little better than shark. Really you should try it yummy yummy in my tummy :lol: :lol: :lol:

are you talking about Dolphin the fish or Dolphin the mammal? :huh: i hope your talking about the fish..... you are talking about the fish right? :(

Even if these countries put a ban on killing these animals illegal poaching would still happen on the blackmarket. Some of these people are very poor and poaching feeds their families. I'm not saying thats right. If you have people that are so poor they have to kill innocent animals to live...your country has problems.

This reminds me of the people on some french island who used live cats and dogs as bait for sharks...putting hooks through their noses.

are you talking about Dolphin the fish or Dolphin the mammal? i hope your talking about the fish..... you are talking about the fish right?

Mahi Mahi is tasty...and fun to catch...especially 30 lb ones..

Zoologists have developed a plan to save the Yangtze River dolphin, probably the world's most endangered mammal, from extinction.

They hope to take some dolphins from the Yangtze and rear them in a nearby lake, protected from fishermen.

The species is threatened by overfishing which removes its food, industrialisation, boat collisions, and through being caught in fishing nets.

The most recent surveys found only 17 living individuals.

Also known as the baiji and Chinese lake dolphin, Lipotes vexillifer is listed as Critically Endangered on the internationally recognised Red List of Threatened Species, which describes it as "probably the most endangered cetacean in the world".

Safe haven

Late last year an international group of conservation zoologists held a workshop in San Diego aiming to develop a coherent rescue plan.

That plan has now been published by a group led by Samuel Turvey from the Institute of Zoology, part of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).

"It's been suggested for a long time that the only way to save them from dying out is to set up a closely monitored breeding population under semi-natural breeding conditions," he told the BBC News website.

"The plan is to set up a reserve in an oxbow lake 21km long which was part of the Yangtze until the 1970s."

Tian-e-Zhou lake already houses another freshwater cetacean, the Yangtze finless porpoise, so conditions are likely to suit the baiji.

There are fish in the lake to provide food for the dolphins; and although there may be some human fishing, it is likely to be on a much smaller scale than in the Yangtze itself.

There, the pressure of China's burgeoning population have brought stocks of some of the baiji's prey species to one thousandth of their pre-industrial levels, Dr Turvey said.

"There is massive human population pressure, industralisation, overfishing. Boat collisions have had a huge impact, then there's bycatch, and various dams of which the Three Gorges is just the best known.

"That was another nail in the coffin, but the species has been declining for decades; during the Great Leap Forward there was even a factory established to make bags out of dolphin skin."

ZSL and its collaborating organisations anticipate the endorsement of their plan, and are starting to look for funds.

Costs could amount to between £200,000 and £300,000 ($365,000 and $545,000) for the first year's operations.

Boats are needed to catch the dolphins, helicopters to transfer them to Tian-e-Zhou. Holding pens need to be constructed, veterinary staff provided, and an inventory made of fish stocks.

The rescue plan speaks of conducting five dolphin capture operations in the Yangtze within the next three years "...in order to establish a viable ex-situ breeding population of baiji at Tian-e-Zhou before the Yangtze population undergoes a further decline or becomes extinct".

The long-term plan would be to re-introduce them to the Yangtze, but only when the prospects of them thriving there have risen.

Source with photo

I have merged two common threads :tu:

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

save the poisionious snales because they are eaten and no one likes them except a few people.

save the poisionious snales because they are eaten and no one likes them except a few people.

There is already conservation for snakes...Plus, they are not AS RARE as these dolphins...

Herpetology is a passion of mine...I love snakes. I even have 3 of my own...and 2 lizards.

Snakes aren't poisonous...You don't touch them an die...Snakes are VENEMOUS.

Edited by frogfish

I think brutally killing anything is wrong. However everywhere in the world, there are atrocities commited to both man and animal.

I think the only way to stop this, and or save any species would be to have every man, woman, child, and animal put on a strict vegetarian diet. Also to stop using any product: clothing, make up, jewerly, weapens, pianos, or anything else made with animal material.

Oil was once living things also.

Then again if you did this people would start on save the fruit trees! The cotton plant is becoming extinct!

I'm not trying to make light of anything but I guess it basically comes down to how much are you willing to personally change your habit?

Will you stop using animal products? Eating animals? Buying from companies that brutalise animals? Stop eating seafood, unless it's certified dolphin friendly?

Maybe move out to a remote area and start a self sustaining commune- That might be the best way to not add to the killing of dolphins and their land dwelling brethren.

Oh and in my personal opinion, Dolphins can be jerks just like any other animal. They attack porpoises, people, and kill their own children.

Not that it is any reason not to rally for them.

Dolphins can be jerks just like any other animal. They attack porpoises, people, and kill their own children.

LOL, they are not jerks...they are trying to survive...So the crocs in Uganda are jerks for killing people?

LOL, they are not jerks...they are trying to survive...So the crocs in Uganda are jerks for killing people?

I was talking more about how they kill each other's young. But you are quite right, that is for survival. If my play on giving human-like characteristics to animals is taken to apply to the crocs of Uganda, then yes. They are jerks. Ha ha.

Dolphins can be jerks just like any other animal. They attack porpoises, people, and kill their own children.

They are not jerks for killing their own young...They only do it to assert dominance and so rival males can't pass on their genes...

They never kill young they had..

Edited by frogfish

you know i was going to make a follow up statement mentioning the very same reason for infancide, however it seemed redundant. i don't think you misunderstood me, this just seems nitpicky.

i clearly said each others young as opposed to their own.

once again redundant.

so then what is a jerk? is it just an insult used to describe the human animal? or is it just a term of preference?

either way i cant imagine how i used the word wrong. i could name quite a few things jerks and feel justified in my own reasoning.

personal opinions are such a great thing.

for the last time i'm going to state that when using the word "jerk" in the prior post, it was a funny way of assigning human characteristics to an animal.

and for the record i think anything that bops a kid or cousin species to death is a jerk.

and for the record i think anything that bops a kid or cousin species to death is a jerk

So most animals are jerks? Jerks trying to survive? Do you eat meat? Do you consider yourself a jerk?

Try to live on your own in the wilderness and see how much more of a 'jerk' you become :tu:

ha ha.

um... i do eat meat. and meat is a jerk, so with the great knowledge of you are what you eat, i must be a jerk! wow. im so glad you helped me to that conclusion.

i do greatly contribute to the slaying of innocent animals. as i said in my first post, that unless people want to go completely vegan and la la la stop using animal products then la la la everyone contributes. whats the point?

i dont think anywhere in my posts have i condemned people for their habits. i only said that it is more important to concentrate on what you are personally willing to give up in your daily habits then to go around trying to change anyone elses.

wilderness... nah. i hate camping. i like ac and hate bugs. but i can say with much certainty that i would not go around trying to kill things in the woods if there were any edible vegetation around. i like my cow in prapackaged units.

So most animals are jerks? Jerks trying to survive? Do you eat meat? Do you consider yourself a jerk?

Try to live on your own in the wilderness and see how much more of a 'jerk' you become :tu:

No i consider myself an omnivore and as such i eat plants and animals like i was made to. Animals eating animals aren't jerks animals that go again'st their natures are jerks. Take Vegans for instance they are jerks they can't accept that I like my meat or like to wear leather etc. So those skeletons have the balls to throw sh** at me and splash or spray paint on others. Vegans are the real egotistical jerks who can't mind their own god damn business.

As far as dolphins are concerned they are just another stupid animal that will end up in my Tuna sandwich and i could care less really . If an animal is not strong enough to survive they don't deserve too bottom line.

to each his own. i also eat veg and meat and that's for survival. i believe that everything has its own purpose so i'm going to continue eating meat and veg.. :)