Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK's 'biggest' wetland created

Commander CMG

The UK's largest man-made wetland is being developed with the deliberate breaching of 300m of sea wall.

Created at Wallasea Island, Essex, the £7.5m government project has created a 115-hectare wetland, hailed as one of Europe's most significant.

It aims to replace bird habitats lost to development, improve flood defences, and create leisure opportunities.

Biodiversity Minister Barry Gardiner said it addresses "wildlife, flood management, landscape and people" need.

"Saltmarsh is more rare than rainforest, and is important to people, particularly as a flood and storm defence, and to wildlife, " said Mr Gardiner, of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

'Gradually displaced'

"Hundreds of thousands of wetland birds rely entirely on the Essex saltmarsh for their food each winter.

"Wallasea Wetlands will be a wonderful feeding and roosting habitat for birds like oystercatchers, avocets and little terns, which have been gradually displaced from the area during the last 50 years, as well as creating a haven for other rare wildlife."

He said the wetlands will provide flood defence by taking the energy out of waves as they pass over the area.

"The new sea defences will provide better protection than the old ones, which were in very poor condition."

It is hoped the wetland will also provide for better fish nurseries.

Source

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Commander CMG

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• frogfish

sweet :D every body wins :tu:

sweet :D every body wins :tu:

Just what is this topic about?? explain a lil more if you will? :huh: and put your thoughts in your own words..thanks

removed unnecessary remarks- Dot

ON topic ..

I think that it is a pity that a place like ... Wallasea Wetlands..is the only safe haven for these birds....but at least it is something... It aims to replace bird habitats lost to development, improve flood defences, and create leisure opportunities.

It's high time others stood up and took notice...too many habitats are lost, over the years...look at all the forests..most of them are destroyed by man..some fat walleted richo, comes in and wants to build, yet another mall..a chain of malls...so in order to do that, they will destroy homes for animals and birds...wildlife will die out, slowly...but if more and more people stood up, and done someing about it, like the report posted above...then it would make a difference..not a huge difference...but at least its an effort :)

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

That's good news :) The biggest impact will be on seabirds...

removed deleted quotes- Dot

No problem but lets not let any pettyness flood over to other forums, it will only result in getting it closed.. lets stay on Topic. :tu:

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

lets stay on Topic. :tu:

Bingo!

I have never heard of Saltmarsh, but I do know that Canadian wetlands are being destroyed at an alarming rate

Bingo!

I have never heard of Saltmarsh, but I do know that Canadian wetlands are being destroyed at an alarming rate

It is criminal when you see how much we are destroying.. not just here in teh UK or the Canadian Wetlands, the Jungles of South East Asia, the South American Rain forests.. etc..

Anyway here is link about Saltmarshes:

Bit about Saltmarshes

That is nice to know. Saltmarshes are very fragile ecosystems and support life for so many different populations of both flora and fauna. Very important habitats, and are integral to the identity of our country!

RKD

It is criminal when you see how much we are destroying.. not just here in teh UK or the Canadian Wetlands, the Jungles of South East Asia, the South American Rain forests.. etc..

Anyway here is link about Saltmarshes:

Bit about Saltmarshes

Its all money...people dont care for animals and birds...they dont give a monkies if these creatures can survive..they dont care for the beauty of the forest/countryside ect...they only care about building more and more unwanted malls and business complexes

Where I used to live, growing up there was a huge feild right behind our home......this feild had beautiful trees...we used to go over and look to see if we could spot some new bird nests....it was fun to play in the feilds....

I paid the place a visit, as we where passing by one night...that feild, those big trees, the bird nests ect..are ALL gone...instead..more homes where built..they crammed in as many homes as possible :blink:

For those of you in the US...Bob Corker is running for US Senate and I saw him destroy many natural environments and wetlands when he was mayor of Chattanooga. If you value the environment do NOT vote for this self serving idiot that only cares about his fat wallet. <_<

For those of you in the US...Bob Corker is running for US Senate and I saw him destroy many natural environments and wetlands when he was mayor of Chattanooga. If you value the environment do NOT vote for this self serving idiot that only cares about his fat wallet. <_<

Amen to that :clap: