Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sacred North American Medicine Stones (3)

SpectateSwamp

One Maori Myth story I learnt growing up  Was HatuPatus  Rock. Hatupatu was escaping the bird woman.  He ran and ran but couldn't get away from her. So he had a karakia  (prayer or incantation) and a rock opened up and he stepped in it and was safe from the bird woman.  When passing hatupatus rock today people stop and put money in the stoney hole and ask for safe traveling on their journey..

• Like 1

We have an aboriginal split rock  story , off the coast ,  nearby . But still split open . 

Image result for split solitary is NSW

We have another I can see from my place ,  where the man is still in the mountain , his head sticks out the top ,  (actually stories all up and down the coast here, relating to both the arrival of those people here and some geological history )

Leans Pano Thora Bellingen NSW 

( photo credit  ;  https://www.timaickin.com.au/#/landscape/ )

" The view is dominated by the double peak of McGraths Hump, also known as Old Man Dreaming. In Aboriginal Gumbaynggirr legend, it shows the profile of a warrior’s face, Ngali. It was Ngali’s job to protect women who came to give birth in the Valley. But Ngali fell asleep, and for his punishment he was turned to stone for all eternity."

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/lookouts/skywalk-lookout

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MauriOra said:

One Maori Myth story I learnt growing up  Was HatuPatus  Rock. Hatupatu was escaping the bird woman.  He ran and ran but couldn't get away from her. So he had a karakia  (prayer or incantation) and a rock opened up and he stepped in it and was safe from the bird woman.  When passing hatupatus rock today people stop and put money in the stoney hole and ask  for safe traveling on their journey..

Hey ,  that's some cool rock ! 

Image result for HatuPatus  Rock NZ

people offer ferns and bracken ,

Its near Taupo  ?     Man ,  I have wonderful memories of  Taupo !   Stayed on the west side of the lake front , on Maori land as their guest . 

Didn't they find a mummified chieftain in a mountain cave there years ago  ?   Very powerful, pristine place !  Full of legend   ,  and heaps of   hydro / thermal power too .

• Like 4

Continuing the geology sidetrack we have the Sleeping Giant across Thunder Bay in Lake Superior:

59de07cfa7601_SleepingGiant1.jpg.4398762a2c25e7a2a462907ea6389d92.jpg

The photo shows the 'head' and 'chest' portion as the 'legs' go much further.  At the 'feet' is an abandoned silver mine.  From wikipedia: "One Ojibway legend identifies the giant as Nanabijou, who was turned to stone when the secret location of a rich silver mine now known as Silver Islet was disclosed to white men."

I've climbed it twice and the view from top of the cliffs is spectacular. 

MDagger

• Like 1

From that angle it looks like an elephant but what about from a different view point?  Also no real concept of the size.  From this I call it a natural formation.

Like the Sleeping Giant above.  I neglected to mention it is ~1850 ft high.  Here's a view from above:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Giant_(Ontario)#/media/File:Sleeping_Giant_PP.JPG

MDagger

• Like 1