Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Global Warming

LucidElement

Ok, well im sure this has been said, but looking in the past pages i dont see anything recenetly SO im going to bring it up...

Every year it gets warmer and warmer. This summer its so hot im dreading August. Global Warming is basically all the poplution done to our ozone from factories, cars, literring, ect...

i just want to no what you guys think is going to happen?

what you guys think needs to be done to repair our ozone?

CAN YOU EVEN REPAIR THE OZONE?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roj47

• Celumnaz

• Raptor

• Sherapy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to end up with beach front property for a little while as the poles melt. :D

Here is an article on the causes of gobel warming.

What Causes Global Warming?

There is general consensus in the scientific community that global warming is mainly caused by the burning of fossil fuels, which increases the levels of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere. The United States is the world's largest producer of greenhouse gases that cause global warming, producing 25% of worldwide emissions.

According to the EPA, the main causes of U.S. Global Warming pollution are:

Electricity Generation: 33.9%

Transportation: 26.8%

Industry: 18.8%

Agriculture: 7.6%

Residential: 7.6%

Commercial: 4.7%

What Are Greenhouse Gases?

Some greenhouse gases occur naturally in the atmosphere, while others result from human activities. Naturally occurring greenhouse gases include carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone and water vapor. Certain human activities, however, add to the levels of most of these naturally occurring gases:

Carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere when fossil fuels (oil, natural gas, and coal), wood and wood products and solid waste are burned.

Methane is emitted during the production and transport of coal, natural gas, and oil. Methane emissions also result from the decomposition of organic wastes in municipal solid waste landfills, and the raising of livestock.

Nitrous oxide is emitted during agricultural and industrial activities, as well as during combustion of solid waste and fossil fuels.

Very powerful man-made greenhouse gases that are not naturally occurring include hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), which are generated in a variety of industrial processes

http://www.net.org/warming/causing.vtml

Global Warming is caused when greenhouse gases build up in the atmosphere. These gases trap heat (Infra-Red rays) from the sun and prevent it from leaving, meaning things heat up.

The Ozone Layer is our defense from Ultra-Violet rays which also come from the sun. When the Ozone Layer depletes, problems such as skin cancers arise; but it's completely seperate from Global Warming. :tu:

On the subject of the Ozone Layer, it can repair itself, it's already begun to in some parts where CFC (Chlorofluoro-carbons; ozone depleting gases) Emissions have lowered. It was said that the Ozone Layer could fully repair by 2050, I can't remember if that's still accepted or not.

About greenhouse gases; I don't think it's possible at all that the 'damage' could be repaired, mainly because pollutant emissions continue to rise, but I don't think it's as big a problem as people make it out to be.

Other than a massive change over to alternative energies that includes use by nations like China, Lu, I do not see that anything else can really help.

I just watched global warming on discovery channel with Tom Brokaw.....I feel sorry for the next 2 generations , and most of the animals on the planet....Very Scary....POlar bears allready lost 1 month of their "feeding" season , they may be first to go....It is a very depressing show , but should be seen by everyone......

I feel sorry for most of the animals on the planet....Very Scary....POlar bears allready lost 1 month of their "feeding" season , they may be first to go

Evolution, survival of the fittest. Things will work out.

Things will work out.

If you consider an artificial mass extinction as "working out."

Edited by Startraveler

'Global Warming' is a general fact of the life of this planet. It has happened many times and it will continue to happen. The entire planet does not stay the exact same climate all over, all the time. It changes. And it doesn't really have anything to do with Human Beings and their effect on the Earth. It just is.

That been said, I do believe that we as a species have contributed to speeding up the process of climate change, and well it's pretty hard to ignore 200 years of pumping pollution into our skies. So yes, things are happening faster than they normally would but, well, the process would occur within time anyway. We are fortunate to have our planet, and she has been very good to us regardless of the horrible things we have done to her. But at the end of the day, it's not 'our' planet, we're just living on it. And the planet will not make exceptions for us, or anything living on it.

However, generally life finds a way.

If you consider an artificial mass extinction as "working out."

No, I don't. You took my words out of context.

The entire planet does not stay the exact same climate all over, all the time. It changes. And it doesn't really have anything to do with Human Beings and their effect on the Earth. It just is.

:yes:

If you want to quote Burnside how about trying the part relevent to what I said?

That been said, I do believe that we as a species have contributed to speeding up the process of climate change ... So yes, things are happening faster than they normally would...

Most species can't keep up with a "natural" period of warming that occurs in a century when it should take ten or more.

If you want to quote Burnside how about trying the part relevent to what I said?

I wasn't quoting him in relation to what you said, just pointing out that I agree with him. But that's irrelevant.

Most species can't keep up with a "natural" period of warming that occurs in a century when it should take ten or more.

I've seen lots of people say "Every thing is going to go extinct, it's the end of the world" and lots of other similar things so I jumped the gun with my usual when I said things will work out, I see now that I misintrepreted his post. (Thought I'd say this before we start debating with each other from completely different standing points). What I meant is that in the long run life will continue to flourish; but of course I agree that many different species will suffer severely.

think the ozone "hole" is natural and don't buy into the CFC social engineering panic (just like DDT)... think they're part of the globalist agenda of control through fear.

Can it Be Altered? Is there a way to fix or decrease the global warming>

It's distrurbing what is happening.

In Northern Maine where I live, the weather is much different than it was 8-10 years ago...heck, it's different than it was 5 years ago.

The winters are warmer, we are getting less snow and seeing a lot more rain. Lots of rain the past few winters, times when we would normally have 4 feet of snow on the ground, and below zerop temps, we have been seeing NO snow, and temps in teens, and higher...we also have been getting snow later in the season.

The summers, though still very hot, are also very rainy. Some days, it's almost 100 degrees outside, then it pours buckets for a few days and the temp drops to in the upper 60's...

when I was a kid, I can remember winters when he had snow up the eves on the house...20 below zero weather and colder. And long, hot summers without a ton of rain.

Thats all done with now.

Ok, well im sure this has been said, but looking in the past pages i dont see anything recenetly SO im going to bring it up...

Every year it gets warmer and warmer. This summer its so hot im dreading August. Global Warming is basically all the poplution done to our ozone from factories, cars, literring, ect...

i just want to no what you guys think is going to happen?

what you guys think needs to be done to repair our ozone?

CAN YOU EVEN REPAIR THE OZONE?

You can repair the ozone....they send some kinda chemical in a rocket into the hole we have created and well it repairs it until next time....but if the hole gets to large...it is hopeless to attempt repair....we should take consideration and stop while we can.

Every year it gets warmer and warmer.

Really? Where? Everywhere? Somewhere? Overall? If it isn't getting warmer everywhere, how do you know it is getting warmer anywhere?

I submit to you all that there is no collective data even remotely suggesting that the Earth is in a cycle of warming. If there is:

SHOW IT

I submit to you all that there is no collective data even remotely suggesting that the Earth is in a cycle of warming. If there is: SHOW IT

Joc, if I refer you to the data would you read it? How about the last issue of the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society? (BAMS, VOLUME 87 NUMBER 6, June 2006)

The article I am talking about is "State of the Climate in 2005: Executive Summary. K. A. Shein, pages 801–805".

Read it, and we can have a discussion afterwards. I have many more articles for you if you really want to know what is the current state of the global warming issue.

This is just a guess, but if there were 20% of today's population, and they utilized 25% of their arable land for bio-fuel production, and all of their hydro-electric capabilities, and nuclear capacities, gas burning electric power plants, and invented some means to inexpensively refine and clean coal (if that is possible), increase solar, wind, and wave power, and use more energy-efficient architecture designs, then that may at least create a more sustainable and tolerable energy/climate scenario.

On top of that, certain types of agriculture adjustments play some role, like how China uses a drier method to grow rice-and-reduce-rice-field-methane.

Jet planes and automobiles running on alcohol (in a world of a smaller, sustainable scale),

cities using gas, nuclear, cleaner coal, hydroelectric power, biomass fuels, might work in an ideal world.

The question remains, what happens in an ideal world, one in which we are forced to mind the climate and mind our energy potential? The atmosphere would see a quick change, the ocean surface would cool down in a few decades, and the ocean depths add additional cooling over a millenia. This might stabilize things, in an ideal situation.

But, in the mean time, certain areas that once had a moderate climate, may have swung to one extreme or the other. And, the actual unwinding process of removing a lot of particulate pollution from the atmosphere may not be a cakewalk, if we end up switching from a "closed oven" to an "open furnace". That is, our smog may trap infrared, but it may also screen out visible or some UV energies. Removing soot from the sky may

produce a temporary heat flux, too.

That's all my own opinion, and a simple answer to a subtle, but complicated question.

Global warming is reality, and there is substantial evidence. There are numerous articles about it in various scientific journals as well as in magazines such as National Geographic. Yes, this planet would probably warm at some point anyway (as the climate has been somewhat turbulent throughout history) but I doubt it's healthy to accelerate the effect. Oh, and not only China should reduce its emissions but also countries like the United States, which still is the biggest contributor to polluting our atmosphere. In fact, China has been somewhat active in pursuing a more sustainable society which has been demonstrated e.g. in urban design, agriculture and energy production. Though they are only taking their first steps towards a more sustainable society, they are at least making an effort. Naturally they are looking to profit financially from it, but that's the only way to make ecological sustainability attractive for governments and private companies.

All in all I don't know if global warming can be reduced enough in time but whatever happens I do think life will go on. Call me optimistic if you will :) But, I also think it is still not too late to take up the sustainability agenda and make it a worldwide reality ;)

The winters are warmer, we are getting less snow and seeing a lot more rain. Lots of rain the past few winters, times when we would normally have 4 feet of snow on the ground, and below zerop temps, we have been seeing NO snow, and temps in teens, and higher...we also have been getting snow later in the season.

I know exactly what you mean. I live in northern England, and as a kid (20 years ago) I remember snow on the ground often from December - late January and bitterly cold nights.

These Winters it is warmer and wetter with snow (if it arrives) arriving in March.

My partners daughter saw her first icicle (sp?) this year and she is 12!

I used to make them by dropping water on branches :blush:

Mind you........If the gulf stream goes..... England will get colder again :o

Really? Where? Everywhere? Somewhere? Overall? If it isn't getting warmer everywhere, how do you know it is getting warmer anywhere?

I submit to you all that there is no collective data even remotely suggesting that the Earth is in a cycle of warming. If there is:

SHOW IT

Although I am concerned worldwide...... I can only look on local events -

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/cru/kd01/lightgreen/ccsnow_05.htm

Bit of a heavy read, but.....

Then another one local to myself -

http://www.metoffice.com/research/hadleyce...kcip/index.html

Edited by Roj47

I am not going to join a site just to look at information. Snowfall averages don't mean anything.

When we have our weather reports here they always say something like: Todays high temperature was 98 degrees...Todays low temperature was 88. The record high for today was set in 1987 at 108 and the record low was in 1933 at 45.

Just because it doesn't snow as much in the UK doesn't mean that the Earth is getting warmer.

But OK....I won't even argue the point with you guys that it isn't. Let's just say it is and be done with it!

So What?!

The Earth has gone through dramatic changes long before man ever 'industrialized'. It is not the belief that the Earth is Warming up that alarms me...it is the belief that man is causing it to warm up that I find disturbing. The question then is what can we do about it? The answer is nothing. So why all the hullabulloo about it? One reason: because there are those who say we can do something about it...we can reduce the pollutants by things like the Kioto Treaty which basically left out the worst polluters (China) and blamed the least polluters (America).

Global Warming is a Leftist Communist tool to extract money and land from the USA thereby creating a new power base for themselves....

...and guess what else the Communists...and I mean the old Soviet Empire Communists whom you all have forgotten ever even existed...are up to:

World Wide Islamic Fascism............ :o

Edited by joc

I am not going to join a site just to look at information. Snowfall averages don't mean anything.

Just because it doesn't snow as much in the UK doesn't mean that the Earth is getting warmer.

The Earth has gone through dramatic changes long before man ever 'industrialized'. It is not the belief that the Earth is Warming up that alarms me...it is the belief that man is causing it to warm up that I find disturbing. The question then is what can we do about it? The answer is nothing.

Ummm..... I didnt say that Global warming was a 100% human created event.

I was merely pointing out (as I said) locally there is less snow.

For all I know there may be more snow in the Rockies to counter balance.

Yes the Earth fluctuates, but given that we are emitting more CO2 today than we have done previously I suggest that we are contributing to the effect more than nature would initially intend.

Personally (not directed to anyone in particular) I miss the snowball fights I had as a kid, and am sad that I am unable to build snowmen with my children due to no snow for more than 4 days in the last 5 years (in my part the world).

I also pointed that temperatures are expected to drop around the UK if freshwater dilutes the Gulf Stream, so not pointing to the Globe warming either....

Not on the defensive (not intended) just giving my thoughts on what I see and a few articles that give the back-up techny stuff I cant :)

Peace :)

Global Warming is a Leftist Communist tool to extract money and land from the USA thereby creating a new power base for themselves....

...and guess what else the Communists...and I mean the old Soviet Empire Communists whom you all have forgotten ever even existed...are up to:

Joc, are you serious? Before making these ridiculous claims why don't you educate yourself a little bit. Where did you read that America is the least polluter?

I 'm not that bright but :hmm: I don't think USA is less. But I may be wrong....Americans are filthy....I am a American. :D