Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Mekorig

A technical question about satelites

5 posts in this topic

Ok, i know that the operational life of a satelites depends in its orbit and its power sources, plus if anything hits it in orbit. Bue my question is how much can last a normal civilian comunication/climate satelite in orbit in the case of a nuclear war in earth.

I am creating a nice setting for a post-nuclear RPG, and i have to consider the posible implications of satelites into the most technical factions in the game. Whit now new ones produced in the settings, they would use the present ones, but would the satelites keep in orbit for, say, 150 years?

Thanks in advance

Ok, i know that the operational life of a satelites depends in its orbit and its power sources, plus if anything hits it in orbit. Bue my question is how much can last a normal civilian comunication/climate satelite in orbit in the case of a nuclear war in earth.

I am creating a nice setting for a post-nuclear RPG, and i have to consider the posible implications of satelites into the most technical factions in the game. Whit now new ones produced in the settings, they would use the present ones, but would the satelites keep in orbit for, say, 150 years?

Thanks in advance

Those in Geostationary orbit such as telecommunications satellites will stay in orbit almost indeffinitely, however that doesn't mean they will still work. Most have a design life of 10-15 years. After that they will run out of fuel for the thrusters that keep them pointing in the correct direction. They will ten just drift around aimlessly. With out their solar pannels pointing at the sun they will not be able to maintain temperature and their electronics will be alternately fried and frozen.

Many of the satellites in low earth orbit will re-enter in far less than 150 years.

RPG..... Now you are talking. I was brough up on D&D and later AD&D. Still cant get away from RPG on the computer. Anyone ever remember Dungeon Master on Amiga?

Anyway I digress....

On a similar note. Would it be right to assume that a large portion of meteorites burning in the atmosphere are actually space junk?

On a similar note. Would it be right to assume that a large portion of meteorites burning in the atmosphere are actually space junk?

Meteorites are the natural objects which fail to burn up and hit the ground. Meteors are the objects we see burning uo. A significant number of fireballs (very bright meteors) are re-entering space junk however the vast majority of the "shooting star" type meteors are natural. Most of them are no bigger than a grain of sand.

The light you see from them is not actually the object itself burning up. As it hits tha upper atmosphere the meteor is travelling so fast that as it hits air molecules it rips electrons off of the atoms. When the elctrons reunite with the atoms energy is released in the form of light, this is what you actually see.

HAs far i know, our orbit is a very dirty place, whit debris raging from small staletites and rockets parts to bolts and other small pieces.

Well, thans WD, i will to get a reason to exist at least one still operational satelite in the game. Maybe some secret USA or Rusia or Europe secret proyect. Thanks anyway.