Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Al Gore all talk

robbieb

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060810/...eworldtobelieve

Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened.

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas.

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives.

Peter Schweizer is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution and author of Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy.

how funny is this he talks a good game but god forbid u practice what u preach. i think this is halarious. what are u thoughts on this?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Celumnaz

• Startraveler

• frogfish

Robbie, whatt do you know of global warming???did you see the movie yourself to base an informed opinion....You have found a google cut and paste and decided you agree based on what????

whether you like al gore or not is of no importance what is important is global warning is observably obvious,I saw the movie it is very well done....... The pretend it isn't so has been gone over so much the words have been worn off the page.....Like it or not those that like and care about he planet are awake and moving forward......

lmao, Al Gore the hypocrite. MAN-BEAR-PIG! :rofl: He just needs attention!

Nobody is denying global warming - Just the cause. Al Gore's movie only used a couple research studies. So nice of him to only show one side, eh? ;)

lmao, Al Gore the hypocrite. MAN-BEAR-PIG! :rofl: He just needs attention!

Nobody is denying global warming - Just the cause. Al Gore's movie only used a couple research studies. So nice of him to only show one side, eh? ;)

Al gore has been involved in Planetary concerns since his college days, As i said setting aside your dislike of Al Gore for whatever reasons means nothing, except you buy into the political drama's... ...The "cause" of global warming, for some i suppose averts personal responsibility ...

The fact is somethng needs to be done and is.... lol

Edited by Sympa Sheri

Al Gore's movie only used a couple research studies. So nice of him to only show one side, eh? ;)

Provide some journal references for the "other side."

the ever favorite http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p357.htm scientists!

just for fun: http://www.hoover.org/publications/books/3003781.html (Specifically Chapter 11: http://media.hoover.org/documents/0817939326_283.pdf )

http://www.john-daly.com/cause/cause.htm

8. CONCLUSION

Global temperature measurements remote from human habitation and activity show no evidence of a warming during the last century. Such sites include “proxy” measurements such as tree rings, marine sediments and ice cores, weather balloons and satellite measurements in the lower atmosphere, and many surface sites where human influence is minimal. The small average and highly irregular individual warming displayed by surface measurements is therefore caused by changes in the thermal environment of individual measurement stations over long periods of time, and not by changes in the background climate.

Pictures! :Phttp://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageMill...es/image277.gif

Edit: Al Gore's not an idiot... he's crazy. Crazy for power. He was groomed by his parents, his Senator father, to be President. He was Meant to be president. It's fate. No one can deny him his birthright! :P

Edited by Celumnaz

I wouldn't go to a conservative think tank to learn about climate change. You might to try things like Science, Nature, the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, the Journal of Climate and so on.

Al Gore's not an idiot... he's crazy. Crazy for power. He was groomed by his parents, his Senator father, to be President. He was Meant to be president. It's fate. No one can deny him his birthright!

Ironic, considering the legacy sitting in the White House right now.

Edited by Startraveler

I know you wouldn't go to them... evidenced when you had to ask to be provided with it since it's not instructed... Delivered, to the population like the big scare is.

That you even made that Particular comment makes me wonder if you even took a gander at Chapter 11 http://www.hoover.org/publications/books/3003781.html and I'd be willing to bet $1 (US) some of those sites you listed aren't affiliated with one of the names in http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p357.htm in some way.

Edit: about the irony... another topic but our leaders all seem to be related in some way... not ironic but sad and even a little scary... hope you don't think I've ever voted for Bush? Cause I haven't never and wouldn't, I wrote in Alan Keyes. :) And I think I'm either voting for Friedman, or if an (L) runs for Governor of Texas... I dunno haven't checked will look into that

Edited by Celumnaz

never said global warming isnt real but it is obvious he lied about certain things and that he doesnt do as much as he would have u belive towards doing his part to help end it personaly if u dont practice what u preach then ur words mean nouthing imo. lets be honest no politican in power today is doing here part to put an end to this as well as they should al gore is no diffrent but u dont see others going out making a film about the problem and how there doign things to fix it and thne are proven to be lieing aobut stuff i mean george bush hasnt gone on tv and siad hey my limo is now a hybrid or air force 1 is now a hybrid.

never said global warming isnt real but it is obvious he lied about certain things and that he doesnt do as much as he would have u belive towards doing his part to help end it personaly if u dont practice what u preach then ur words mean nouthing imo. lets be honest no politican in power today is doing here part to put an end to this as well as they should al gore is no diffrent but u dont see others going out making a film about the problem and how there doign things to fix it and thne are proven to be lieing aobut stuff i mean george bush hasnt gone on tv and siad hey my limo is now a hybrid or air force 1 is now a hybrid.

Robbie i have to say i agree politics is not the path to change, I have no interest in the political system, whether its al gore or santa , global warming is a huge concern who ever gets the ball rolling....For me I live in a state that takes it serious and we are on board but few states are concerned....I think 4 out of all al gore is just contriversial enough to get attention and who cares this is an issue that needs attention IMO...How ever that is accomplished bad press is press none the less...

As one might've expected this article turned out to be overhyped crap.

USA Today correction, pg 10A:

In a column that appeared Aug. 10 on the Forum Page, writer Peter Schweizer inaccurately stated that former vice president Al Gore receives royalties from a zinc mine on his property in Tennessee despite his environmental advocacy. He no longer does, as the mine was closed in 2003.

And they've printed Gore's response:

The op-ed attacking former vice president Al Gore's environmental record was extremely misleading.

Former vice president Gore has worked to implement the recommendations from his movie and book, An Inconvenient Truth, and that includes his personal commitment to live a zero-carbon lifestyle.

He reduces the global-warming pollution for which he is responsible and then, each year, finances additional reductions elsewhere until his net impact on the global climate is reduced to zero.

He has long since switched to a hybrid car and was already in the process of adding solar photovoltaic units to his home before the commentary was published.

In addition, the Gores have donated 100% of all the profits from his movie and book to the fight against global-warming pollution.

The assertion by author Peter Schweizer that the Gores were swimming in Occidental stock is also off base. At Mr. Gore's request, all of his father's stock in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum was sold almost six years ago as the estate was closed. So, although Mr. Gore has and will continue to call on his fellow Americans to do their part to combat global warming, he isn't asking of them what he isn't willing to do himself.

Rather than vilifying a person who is trying to make a difference, wouldn't it be more fruitful for Schweizer to join the effort to solve the climate crisis?

Kalee Kreider, communications director

Office of Al Gore and Tipper Gore

Nashville

Doesn't change my arguments one bit, but thank you for shedding light on that.

Wouldn't it be nice if "news reporters" actually Investigated something to its conclusion instead of up to Their conclusion?

The new slogan of the democratic party.

Vote for Al Gore. He is responsible for global warming.

Stark great find thankyou for sharing...At some point many have to stop using disagreement as an excuse to avoid responsibility, thats the new denial another way to say i don't care.........We each can do something and should we have a vested interest too......

Al Gore is no saviour. He is hawking a product like any other sales person.

If Al Gore, liberals, and the hippies all fart, they are the problem in global warming as they claim. Each fart contains methane... Hypocrites... For shame... For shame. :no:

Is Al Gore being cereal?

I don't think he's being cereal.

What do you guys think?

I don't think he's cereal either..If he is, he is the weirdest corn flake I've ever seen..

:w00t:

Edited by frogfish

Al Gore is no saviour. He is hawking a product like any other sales person.

Their are no savious , their are people who care and those who don't, what product would he be selling???caring for the planet that sustains you??? :tu:

what product would he be selling???caring for the planet that sustains you??? :tu:

I was wondering about that one, too.

I'm not wondering. They don't teach it in grade school, but "causes" and elected positions virtually require an ad campaign of one kind or another.

In other words he's "hawking" environmental awareness. Damn, that is unscrupulous.

Prophet Gore's "hawking environmental awareness" comes in the form of things like "it's the end of the world in 10 years", paraphrased, and he's the High Priest that's going to stop the eclipse... errr, earth scorcher from happening.

No. Gore refers to the well-known fact that global warming is a climate driver. Paleoclimate data suggests that in the past drivers have pushed the climate across thresholds, at which point the climate was fairly rapidly and and drastically altered. Gore's message has been that it's possible that global warming will have enough momentum within a decade or so that we won't be able to prevent a threshold crossing. The DOD had the Global Business Network assess national security implications of one such threshold crossing resulting in a shutdown of the North Atlantic conveyor (say, by melting ice disrupting a delicate salinity balance). Their predictions weren't pretty.