Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravinar

Curse of the T.rex

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

found this wile looking thru google video. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...igins&hl=en

I always herd about all the controversy over the T.rex named sue but i didn't know that it was this bad. fossils sure do fetch a pretty penny. i can see why there so sought after.

Edited by Ravinar

Ahhh, yes. There's certainly a battle going on between science and collecting. Cope and Marsh, while they did discover many new dinosaurs, had a nasty tendency of destroying any specimen they couldn't take with them. Just because they didn't want the other guy to have it.

When I worked at Fossil Butte, we had a fairly good relationship with the private quarries nearby. One was nice enough to donate a very good cast of a juvenile crocodile to our visitor center that they had found on their land. The same quarry was lucky enough to find rare bat and snake fossils, but those got sold for a pretty penny very fast. It would have been nice to study them, but I guess they had to make a living.