Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is a Giant Lemur Surviving in Madagascar?

~sYMBIONt~

Although giant lemurs are generally supposed to have become extinct during the Pleistocene, there is no apparent reason for this, since they would not have been threatened by carnivores and their food supply remained unchanged. It seems far more likely that man was the guilty party. A 17th century French explorer in Madagascar described enormous animals with a "human" face that terrified the natives and it is possible that giant lemurs may yet be found in the dense forests of the interior. The sites from which the bones were collected are marsh and lacustrine deposits and are all superficial; an old report states that "white pulpy matter" came out of one "extinct" lemur's skull. Many of the bones have a suspiciously recent appearance and have been subjected to nitrogen analysis. Bones from one site contained 2.6 per cent nitrogen compared with less than 1 per cent for those from two other localities, a result that suggests that the bones are very recent, at least in this case. Their absolute age is to be determined by carbon-14, so wether Megaladapis is a "living fossil" should soon be determined
:w00t:SOURCE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Carnivore

• ~sYMBIONt~

• capoeiranger

• coldethyl

how big is that ? human size ?

bigger than a gorilla :w00t: i hope it kills all simians muhahaha oh did i say that outloud :blink: oops :blush: you didnt hear anything people :angry:

got some statistics about these giant lemurs? Just trying to imagine the scale. Any sightings

not sure

Sounds interesting and a bit scary - lemurs, with their intelligence, and HUGE as a gorilla could be a bit intimidating..

:passifier::unsure2::alien:

Hey! Do that "I like to move it move it!" again! Oh wait, this time, go BIG!

Surely these giant lemurs was undiscovered since they only party at night at the venue where no scientist ever got to look for them!

I need to see a picture of a giant lemur like next to a car or something so I can really see how giant it is. :yes: And what threat is a giant lemur anyway honestly? Steal your nectarines and peanuts? I dunno...

I need to see a picture of a giant lemur like next to a car or something so I can really see how giant it is. :yes: And what threat is a giant lemur anyway honestly? Steal your nectarines and peanuts? I dunno...

well im off to google...

I doubt giant lemurs exist...99% of the megafauna died out...

user posted image

O' contraire mon frare, lol.

How giant is that lemur?

Looks to be 10-20 feet tall.

but its larger than a gorilla and even though gorillas are herbavores then still can attack and the lemur has sharp teeth

I doubt giant lemurs exist...99% of the megafauna died out...

but they were wiped out by humans less then 2000 years ago not like most megafauna that died out by climate change and meteors

Edited by Ring Tailed Lemur

Palaeopropithecus ingens and closely related P. maximus (weighing as much as 100-120 pounds) were two of the more unusual members of Madagascar's recently extinct mammal fauna. They are called "sloth lemurs" because their skeletons are massively convergent on those of living tree sloths. In addition to several other sloth-like specializations, the forearms were greatly elongated and the digits of both the hands and feet were long and strongly bowed -- indeed, so bowed that the animals would not have been capable of fine grasping movements. Scientists believe that Palaeopropithecus moved upside down, using its hands and feet as grappling hooks to inch along under branches as it searched for edible fruits and leaves. This behavior would presumably have made it an easy target for hunters, although there is no evidence that humans preyed on this (or any other) extinct lemur. It has long been known that Palaeopropithecus ingens died out very recently; new radiocarbon dates indicate that it may have still been living around AD 1500.

[attachmentid=27801]

post-37078-1156360451.gif

Looks to be 10-20 feet tall.

How can you tell that from that picture??

but its larger than a gorilla and even though gorillas are herbavores then still can attack and the lemur has sharp teeth

But it's sssoooo cute!!

How can you tell that from that picture??

But it's sssoooo cute!!

look how close the lemur is to the ceiling.

look how close the lemur is to the ceiling.

Could be a midget ceiling.....

:w00t: