Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is a Giant Lemur Surviving in Madagascar?

~sYMBIONt~

<_< i see you have that as your avatar now

Fine, Ill Change it.

Edit: There, a nice squid.

Edited by sadistic jellyfish of doom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Carnivore

• ~sYMBIONt~

• capoeiranger

• coldethyl

Fine, Ill Change it.

I just see the question mark again.

Fine, Ill Change it.

i dont mind its just kinda creepy

i dont mind its just kinda creepy

ya. I actually got tired of that thing staring at me.

but they were wiped out by humans less then 2000 years ago

Well, the link you posted about Palaeopropithecus ingens and P. maximus say otherwise...

although there is no evidence that humans preyed on this (or any other) extinct lemur

The first humans that settled Madagascar around 2,000 years ago likely hunted to extinction giant lemurs and other unusual animals from the Indian Ocean island, such as eleven-foot-tall birds, suggests an upcoming study.

While the report does not rule out disease, fire and other factors that could have contributed to the giant lemurs' demise, it adds to the growing body of evidence that modern humans adversely affected the populations of prehistoric animals.

The study is part of ongoing research on the life and death of giant lemurs. Today's lemurs are the last living link to ancient primates that have a common link to the lineage that evolved into humans.

SOURCE Edited by Ring Tailed Lemur

there is no evidence that humans preyed on this (or any other) extinct lemur

*Hides the extinct Giant Lemur bone he was just gnawing on* ;)

EW! I'd never eat a giant lemur. Well, never say never. But I'd probably never eat a giant lemur! For breakfast anyway!

If there's a giant chicken, will you eat them?

Seriously man, if the Giant Lemur is that BIG, wouldn't it be easily observed by now? And if I'm not mistaken, aren't lemurs supposed to be grouping animal that lives in a close pack/family? If so, then we would've seen it by now, since they travel in one family!

If there's a giant chicken, will you eat them?

Not for breakfast.

Good. I'll have em on Thanksgiving to replace them Turkey! Oh wait, I got no Thanksgiving here...

You carve it, I'll grill it..it's what I do.

And ill kill it. *Loads Barett sniper rifle*

:devil:

It has long been known that Palaeopropithecus ingens died out very recently; new radiocarbon dates indicate that it may have still been living around AD 1500.

AD 1500!?!? If such a lemur was still alive then, there would proabably still be some today. There haven't been any mass extinctions since AD 1500 in which they could've died out. Then again, if there are still giant lemurs, their species is most likely hanging by a thread.

AD 1500!?!? If such a lemur was still alive then, there would proabably still be some today. There haven't been any mass extinctions since AD 1500 in which they could've died out. Then again, if there are still giant lemurs, their species is most likely hanging by a thread.

Ah. Good to see you too. :lol:

Ah. Good to see you too. :lol:

lol... Actually giant lemurs are one of the more plausable cryptids, compared to some of course.

lol... Actually giant lemurs are one of the more plausable cryptids, compared to some of course.

aye, like el chupacabra.

So...I'd say it's not possible for them to live anymore...something that big won't be LEAPING around easily without anyone notice it right?

So...I'd say it's not possible for them to live anymore...something that big won't be LEAPING around easily without anyone notice it right?

Even then, it's hard for Megafauna to sustain itself.

bigger than a gorilla :w00t: i hope it kills all simians muhahaha oh did i say that outloud :blink: oops :blush: you didnt hear anything people :angry:

it wasnt larger then moutain gorillas and i feel it is doubtful they are still around im sure early people killed them out muchl ike much of the mega fauna only a few survived