Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evolution of intellegence

Pilot28

Well the question is simple what do you think will evolve intellegence next. I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks. Myself I'm not sure so I'll just throw out insects. What do you guys think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• BurnSide

• Raptor

• Pilot28

I doubt insects will become intelligent, first of all there are the physical limitations which prevent any significant brain mass, and then there's also no need for them to evolve intelligence; they're extremely successful. Also they've been around for so long, you'd think that they would have evolved intelligence already. :P

Edited by Raptor X7

No one really knows that will become the next dominant animal after we humans are gone...The closest we can guess is to look at what is intelligent already...Dolphins, squid/octopus, etc.

Well they could over come the size limitation in the right enviroment. They have before. But your probably right. So what do you think is likely to evolve intellegence?

Insects are already perfectly suited to their environments, they have no need to evolve 'intelligence' as you have defined it. They already have exactly what they need to survive as a species generally. They have been around far longer than anything else, and will be around far longer yet.

Nothing on earth at the moment, with the exception of the Primates (which i've always found to be a very egostatistical word) needs to evolve intelligence past what it currently has. Maybe in a few million we'll see new species create forms of art and entertainment and adapt more sophistcated uses of tools, but as it is there wont be anything. (Again, with the exception of other Primates, who are already as a species not far behind us)

Well they could over come the size limitation in the right enviroment. They have before. But your probably right.

Eh, good point. I never really considered that they might be allowed to grow larger again in the future. :tu:

Insects are already perfectly suited to their environments, they have no need to evolve 'intelligence' as you have defined it.

:yes:

So what do you think is likely to evolve intellegence?

There are many animals which already have quite a high degree of intelligence, such as dolphins, elephants and octopuses. Perhaps they will get more intelligent as they evolve, but it really is almost impossible to tell for certain.

Nothing on earth at the moment, with the exception of the Primates (which i've always found to be a very egostatistical word) needs to evolve intelligence past what it currently has. Maybe in a few million we'll see new species create forms of art and entertainment and adapt more sophistcated uses of tools, but as it is there wont be anything. (Again, with the exception of other Primates, who are already as a species not far behind us)

:unsure2:

Umm BurnSide....not trying to get off topic here but we humans (well most of us seem to be) are primates.

Domain: Eukaryota

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primates

Family: Hominidae

Genus: Homo

Species: H. sapiens

Subspecies: H. s. sapiens

I'm well aware of that, why do you think i said i considered it an egostatistical word? Because we named our selves 'Pri' mates. The Primary species.

I haven't got a clue on that one. I'm still wrestling with how proto-humans and humans lept ahead in intelligence at an unprecidented rate relative to any previous species. :blink:

I haven't got a clue on that one. I'm still wrestling with how proto-humans and humans lept ahead in intelligence at an unprecidented rate relative to any previous species

Your answer is evolution :tu:

Does anyone happen to know if this hypothesis was ever unverified

Never heard of it...I don't think that would play a big part...

If humans are around they would surely murder any threat of intelligence in another species.

What would you consider as intelligence? If it is what we are today, then of (wow..... trying to think.... duh!) x billion years there has only been intelligence for 50k years.

Lose humans and the Earth could be destroyed before similar evolves again.

Before you read this next bit I just want to clarify that I do not ever see this happening, and would love to be proven wrong.

For me the next most likely form of intelligence to be on Earth could be alien.

No normal-paced evolution doesn't account for later humans' leaps in intelligence. The idea of evolution is that a rudimenrary organism develops into its present state through successive generations. Each can be measured progressionally and gradually.

Gradual and predictable progression is ubiquitous in all species. Gradually increasing brain size coupled with intellect and progress in socialization should produce an expected and predicted result. Humankinds' explosive intellectual advances have no precident in any other species. :blink:

Gradual and predictable progression is ubiquitous in all species. Gradually increasing brain size coupled with intellect and progress in socialization should produce an expected and predicted result. Humankinds' explosive intellectual advances have no precident in any other species

Not in punctuated equillibrium :tu:

What next in evolution? Well...that would almost entirely depend on whether there are any major climatic changes on Earth. Insects and other animals are successful and well adopted to their environments :yes; they don't need to evolve now: yes, but can they adopt to some extreme and even sudden climatic changes in the future is the question. Other than Primates, I don't see any other species equipped to evolve too much in the future.

For me the next most likely form of intelligence to be on Earth could be alien.

Then that would have to be within the next few years.

I fully believe the next form of intelligence to be on Earth will be created by man. We're not far off.

Then that would have to be within the next few years.

I fully believe the next form of intelligence to be on Earth will be created by man. We're not far off.

You do have a point. Our machines are capechalating our own evolution at a fanominal rate. They'll exceed our own intellegence in a short time. They've already exceeded us in brut strength. So when they start to think well you've got a potential new domant species.

They've already exceeded us in brut strength.

That's not much of an accomplishment...Physically, humans are a little on the weak side compared to some animals :tu:

Compared to all animals, i'd say. Put a naked modern man against any naked animal of the same size and he's pretty well subject to failure in a battle of wits, strength, etc etc. Even if he was to try and capture a small one, he'd probably fail.

Humans rely completely on their technology these days, there is barely a soul who could live without it. Unfortunately i believe because of this human evolution will create a weaker and weaker human, physically and mentally, as he is forced to reply on computers or tools to work for him.

I don't feel the naked human has less wits than an animal. The traits that set us apart is the fact that we have superior powers to reason, adapt and apply deductive logic. Humans can triumph over an animal by using tools to build snares, traps, weapons and shelter.

The racial memories of our more primative times would allow many humans to survive in the wild. In hindsight I found much of my military survival training to be little more than basic common sense. B)