Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannibal Mountaineer

IhartU

When Colorado mountain guide Alfred Packer turned up at Chief Ouray's Indian Camp near Los Pinos in november last year, the cheif advised him that the weather was too bad for him to continue into the mountains with his party of 20 travellers from Salt Lake city. Half the party took the cheifs advice and turned back. The other half offered Packer a bonus to press on.

In February, the cheif's wisdom was proved. Two of the Salt Lakers staggered into his camp, half dead. They and two others had decided they could face no more of the blizzard: the other two had perished in attempting the unguided return.

In March, Packer returned to the camp, exhausted. He told how his party of five had abboned him when he started suffering from frostbite and snow-blindness. Cheif Ouray listened to his story of the terrible journey, and grunted: "You too damn fat!"

The wise old redskin's suspicions were taken up by others. acker had money to burn; he had the knife and gun of one of his clients; and a Wells Fargo draft made out to another. He was placed tentatively under arrest.

When the snows cleared in April, excited Indians came into camp bearing strips of human meat they had found. Packer now made a rambling confession. He claimed that the oldest member of the party, Isaac Swan, had died. He contradicted himsself as to whether he was murdered by outsiders of died of starvation. He claimed that the party had insisted on eating his flesh and dividing his money. Thereafter they killed off the weakest untilonly Packer and Shannon Bell survived. And Packer luckily won their duel to the death.

An expedition to the mountains found the bodies and proved Packer's story to be self-interested lying. All but one of the men had been killed from behind, and the fifth had been shot after a struggle. Packer's camp remained, with a trail showing that he had gone back to the bodies repeatedly, stripping them of meat while he waited for the blizzards to ease.

But before this murderous cannible robber could come to trial he escaped from captivity, and his whereabouts are now unkknown.

source: Chronicle of Crime

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• grubby fist

• distortedpandy

• Subtemperate

Well, i don't think we have to worry about his whereabouts 130+ years later. :) Good story though, thanks for sharing. Amazing what hunger can drive a man to do.

Yeah its an interesting story, one which scientists and criminologists still debate over whether there was partial truth behind the lies packer told.... but at last check it was proven he was guilty, as his story was plain and simply not true.

:yes: There was even a movie made about it,in fact it even had musical numbers.I think that Jeff Daniels was in it,but not sure.I just can't recall the name of it or the director right now.

:yes: There was even a movie made about it,in fact it even had musical numbers.I think that Jeff Daniels was in it,but not sure.I just can't recall the name of it or the director right now.

You HAVE to be kidding?? A musical about cannibalism?? This is one movie I gotta see!!!

It's called, "Cannibal!" :lol:

I would know that...

:w00t: Only you! :wub:

Amazing what hunger can drive a man to do.

i think he just a real cannibal, n not hunger :hmm:

All but one of the men had been killed from behind, and the fifth had been shot after a struggle.

It's actually "Cannibal, the Musical". Done by those South Park fellows, Matt Stone and Trey Parker. During their Troma years. Yeah...

Some folks... love to see red.

Some folks never talk about it. ;)

*Dances the night away*

Well, i don't think we have to worry about his whereabouts 130+ years later.

Sorry - you got me giggling like crazy here Burnside... LOL!!! :wacko::D:w00t:

But true, it is an interesting story..... :tu:

Some folks... love to see red.

Some folks never talk about it. ;)

*Dances the night away*

Some folks live for no reason

Some folks die without a warning.

:tu:

yes, excuse my ignorance for leaving the last bit out, thank you ^_^

Sorry if that came out sarcastic, 'twasn't meant to. I was just awkward cuz i'm new here. ^__^; These damned machines are so cold.

I'm just no good without it.

I'm not a man at all--

It makes my skin crawl!

*Dances another night away*

the story was a bit much for me to read on a school night, but out of my opinion:

If you are dying of hunger, and the people traveling with you died before you, it is necessarry to eat them. I would instantly do it without hessitation.

*pardon if i spelled anything wrong*

I'm just no good without it.

I'm not a man at all--

It makes my skin crawl!

*Dances another night away*

:lol::tu:

Coolitivity rating has increased.