Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
ai_guardian

Doubts cast over Cosmic Microwave Background

4 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but studies of shadows predicted to be cast by galaxy clusters are not showing up in the WMAP data as they should.

Only about a fourth of what was expected has been found out of 31 galaxy clusters studied.

This may mean that either the CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) is not coming from the far reaches of the universe (back in time) or that some other theories may have to be revised.

If it stands up to review, this may mean that the Big Bang may not be as theorised which will undoubtedly prompt physicists/astrophysicists to scramble for some new theories.

*waits in anticipation*

Source

Any ideas what could be causing these rather ground-breaking findings? Or any flaws you can think of that could be responsible for this perhaps erroneous interpretation?

Cheers

Edit: oops, I thinks the Space & Astronomy section is more suited, requested to get it moved :)

Edited by ai_guardian

Moved to more appropriate section at the request of original poster.

Waspie_Dwarf

The WMAP dataset is available to the public and other scientists are already testing the UAH group's results, Lieu said, although no one has yet reported finding any flaws in their analysis.

I'm confused why he didn't mention his own paper, already submitted to the Astrophysical Journal (and available on astro-ph for almost two months), that interpets his results in terms of "conventional physics." His suggestion is that intracluster nonthermal electrons (i.e. random high-energy electrons that aren't interacting with each other to reach any sort of equilibrium) are responsible both for some anomalous X-rays (bouncing off the low-energy CMB photons, they supply the photons with energy) as well as providing the "extra" microwave radiation by radiating as they travel through the cluster's magnetic field. I'd be interested in seeing what people who are not this guy conclude but I just wanted to point out that he himself has suggested a solution.

Also, you can see a few reactions by people who know a tremendous amount more than I do when Lieu's original paper was put out on astro-ph last year: cosmocoffee.

Thanks Startraveler :tu: , you've given me something to go on & investigate.

Appreciate it.

Cheers