Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant 49 ft python captured in indonesia

Demitri V

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ~Onyx~

• frogfish

• coldethyl

• Mike8272

I think the limit may be around 40 foot, but I do't think there are any snakes that large alive today...They would just expend way too much energy to grow that large. There is no need to.

Edited by frogfish

There is no need to.

That's a great point that seems to escape all of the "giant, mutant, huge, monsterous" threads that ask why a creature of immense and disproportionate size cannot exist. Mother nature does not work the same way the human race works. Animals/organisms grow proportionately as to their NEED...not their DESIRE. When you use the term whale, for example, it is an ambiguous term(as descriped by Wikipedia): it can refer to all cetaceans, to just the larger ones, or only to members of particular families within the order Cetacea. But the word whale, to the layman, could mean something HUGE or whale-like when the word is associated to something other than an actual WHALE!!! My point is, whale's are whales(in terms of size) beacuse that is the size they are "predetermined" to be....if ANYTHING whales have gotten SMALLER as they have evolved...as have birds....and elephants(the Mastadon/Wooly Mammoth of the Quaternary period)...etc. This is NOT a new and exciting development, and that undisputable trend in development dosen't tell you something......nothing will.

I think the limit may be around 40 foot, but I do't think there are any snakes that large alive today...They would just expend way too much energy to grow that large. There is no need to.

ya the anacondas and some python from asia or indonesia are near 40 ft, also the giant anaconda which goes way past 40, thats if it even exists

ya the anacondas and some python from asia or indonesia are near 40 ft, also the giant anaconda which goes way past 40, thats if it even exists

The longest recorded snake ever was a 33 fot retic shot in Celebe, Indonesia.

There are no 'giant' andacondas. There are only two species, the green andaconda and yellow andaconda, which the latter is the larger. Both can reach around 30 feet.

blahh.... its only about 8mt. thats snake consume lots of dogs. and if the keeper getting bored, im sure that snake will become food n drink.

Other factors determining the size of creatures are...

1) food supply

2) size of habitat

Big animals need lots of food to grow , and maintain their massive bodies.

They also need large hunting grounds in their territory.

With human encroachment on wilderness areas, food and habitat for over-sized critters is heavily stressed. This is reflected by the evolutionary trend in down-sizing mentioned earlier.

Big animals need lots of food to grow , and maintain their massive bodies

Very correct: Whales, elephants, some species of squid, bears...etc.

This is reflected by the evolutionary trend in down-sizing mentioned earlier

Preciscely!!!!

Is it true that snakes never stop growing ?

Like keshinx said, that's untrue. Fish never stop growing, but can be limited by biotic factors like BigDaddy said. You take whatever the environment gives you...

Fake ah well everyone can live in hope that somewere out there, there is a 40ft plus snake except those who where on that plane..... :hmm::o:w00t:

But the thing as someone has already said before the fact is if something is ever to get that big it has to have the perfect habitat to get to the size, also having to have the food supply etc. Unless it was genetically altered, or altered by radiation then there are the only real posibilities....

But 49ft, thats massive and if there was snakes that big then there will be even more things we've yet to discover as if theres huge snakes like wqe've seen in films, and like we talk about on here, then what else is there out there....

Just whatever you do don't tell Sam.... ;)

a snake to be 49ft long its probably possible but it has to be the biggest we have seen.the only way this snake can actually be 49ft if it was an anaconda or a boa.nothing else is that big or maybe a prehistoric snake.

Off having a quick browse round some sights Boa's supposedly reach 10ft max and thats rare, the largets anaconda is 33feet. So it's more likely to be a anaconda unless the info i got ont eh Boa is wrong....

I thought Boa Constrictors were a class of snake that included the Pythons and Anaconda species.

no, Boa Constrictors are a species of boa. Pythons and Boas are very similar.

well.. snake better than spider :P and snake can be good pet

:no: Snakes creep me out so much. If any of my friends had a snake in there house, don't expect me to come over EVER. I despise people who have snakes as pets.....that's how much hate I have towards snakes. It's weird because I have never really had a personal experience with any snake.

:no: Snakes creep me out so much. If any of my friends had a snake in there house, don't expect me to come over EVER. I despise people who have snakes as pets.....that's how much hate I have towards snakes. It's weird because I have never really had a personal experience with any snake.

well you should try :P some of them are pretty :yes: sunbeam snake , albino phyton :tu:

i just love to wacth em, but not touching em