Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schadeaux

‘Something’ felled an M1A1 Abrams tank in Iraq – b

5 posts in this topic

By John Roos

Special to the Times

Shortly before dawn on Aug. 28, an M1A1 Abrams tank on routine patrol in Baghdad “was hit by something” that crippled the 69-ton behemoth.

Army officials still are puzzling over what that “something” was.

According to an unclassified Army report, the mystery projectile punched through the vehicle’s skirt and drilled a pencil-sized hole through the hull. The hole was so small that “my little finger will not go into it,” the report’s author noted.

The “something” continued into the crew compartment, where it passed through the gunner’s seatback, grazed the kidney area of the gunner’s flak jacket and finally came to rest after boring a hole 1½ to 2 inches deep in the hull on the far side of the tank.

As it passed through the interior, it hit enough critical components to knock the tank out of action. That made the tank one of only two Abrams disabled by enemy fire during the Iraq war and one of only a handful of “mobility kills” since they first rumbled onto the scene 20 years ago. The other Abrams knocked out this year in Iraq was hit by an RPG-7, a rocket-propelled grenade.

Experts believe whatever it is that knocked out the tank in August was not an RPG-7 but most likely something new — and that worries tank drivers.

Army Times

This story was also reported in the Marine Corps Times and the Air Force Times. I have found nothing else on it.

“The information is sensitive,” he said. “It looks like [members of the program manager’s office] are not going to release any information right now.”

Whoa, now THIS is interesting!! Thank you for posting this schadeaux!

I have heard zip about this, 'til now.

I presume no other incidents have been verified? Gads, what's next?

Nancy

This blew me away when I first read it yesterday on a different site. Anytime there is a war I think its provides an opportunity for experiments. Like a new product line in a manufacturing firm, there's always sales samples flying about. Hey try this....some governments or groups might say, let's field test this baby we have been working on -- and see what it does.

There is a plethera of intelligent individuals in the world procured for clandestine millitary purposes and who's to say that the favourite or the richest has the edge anymore.

(PLEA TO INTELLIGENT, EXTRATERRESTRIAL/TERRESTRIAL, SUPER-TECHNOLOGICAL,PROGRESSIVELY EVOLVED BEINGS OUT THERE OR HERE):

Destroy without hesitation any nation or government, be it my own or whosevers producing or experimenting with bio/germ/toxic/virus weapons. There I have my Christmas wish.

I would be suprised if this is some new kit that the Iraqi resistance has got its hands on - although, reports are coming in of guys and equipment flooding across the neighbouring borders - let's face facts, the equipment these guys are using is pretty antiquated.

US and British forces use uranium tipped ammo to punch holes in armour - but i would be suprised if the Iraqis have got their hands on this stuff (although, if Bin Laden and his cronies are now on the scence they could probably afford it).

Who knows, although, with the US army's recent history in mind, maybe this is a case of "blue on blue" (if you know what i mean?).

This is certainly going to be a long a bloody affair!

Lets hope the oil is worth it!!!!

I spent 5 yrs as a loader & occasional tank gunner on both active & reserve duty (M-60A1s & M1s) - and from personal experience from training with them, I would say look first to the Israelis for technology like this.

They have advanced tank warfare to the point that the military, in my day, used to annually hire a fleet of them as consultants to train with us in the field and show us more efficient (quicker) loading & firing patterns, desert tactics, and also ingenious remedies to better our own equipment.

Armor has been losing favor within the US military for years. It's losing ground to faster, smarter, cheaper, lighter vehicles these days and subsquently, not much money is spent on new weapons R&D for tanks in the US.

the Israelis though...

dude.

they're quite serious about it.