Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 17 Photo Anomalies

straydog

The Apollo 17 photos had more anomalies in them than some of the other Apollo photo shoots .... Did nasa perhaps get sloppy during their last "mission" ? Or did maybe some "whistle blowers" leave these clues behind in these crudely faked moon set pictures on purpose ?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• straydog

• Trinitrotoluene

• aquatus1

• Waspie_Dwarf

The opening post of this topic is a little vague, but not so much that this topic needs to be closed. However, if a whole slew of other pictures are suddenly presented, without any conclusion made towards this first picture being made, the topic will be closed. First finish the discussion of this specific picture, then and only then can other pictures be submitted for analysis.

Aquatus ... I didn't mean to be vague in the post topic .

These photos are all related ... They are official nasa photos from the same photo shoot of Gene Cernan and Jack Schmidt during Apollo 17 .. and the anomalies in the visor reflections clearly show lights and objects that should not have been on the moon .

We can discuss one photo at a time if that would be easier ... Thanks for not closing the thread .... I don't pretend to know how to "formally debate" but I will post with respect to everyone's opinion , no matter what their belief is about Apollo .

Straydog I posted these in the previous threads but they weren't addressed.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

In short, a few arguments and facts regarding these particular pieces:

1) If a spotlight was pointing directly at the astronaut (and if Straydog was correct then it must be) - the back would never be visible. EVER. It would always be behind the light.

2) If Straydog was correct and that is a spotlight the light would not be visible at all as it would be shining directly to the left.

If you could, will you post an overhead diagram like mine of where you think the spotlight is placed

Edited by Gavsto

The Apollo 17 photos had more anomalies in them than some of the other Apollo photo shoots .... Did nasa perhaps get sloppy during their last "mission" ? Or did maybe some "whistle blowers" leave these clues behind in these crudely faked moon set pictures on purpose ?

user posted image

If those bright spots are footlights then each object in the photo

user posted image

should be casting four shadows - one strong one and three weak ones.

Where are they?

Edited by AtomicDog

Gavsto ... If you read the description on the second picture being discussed, you will see that I clearly state that TWO spotlights are in use .... Therefore we see the one facing the astronaut being photographed , as a spot of light ( representing the sun ) reflected in the visor , and the BACK of the second spotlight , which is facing AWAY from the astronaut being photographed , used to illuminate the scene if front of him ( the astronaut taking the picture and the backdrop behind him ) ....

The reflection in the visor shows the BACK of the second light , facing AWAY from the astronaut being photographed ..... and that is why we see the body of it ... and only the light reflection of the first spotlight facing him ( representing the sun )

Thus your diagram does not apply to this particular situation ... I hope I made this clear enough .

Yes Straydog you did, sorry about that. Do you have the facilities to draw the diagram of where you think the spotlights are?

Ta,

Gav

AtomicDog ... Why would three foot lights , being used to illuminate the scene being reflected in the astronauts visor, cast four shadows ? .. Shadows of what ? .... It is usually several overhead lights pointed in the same direction which would cause multiple shadows , not foot lights .

Yes Straydog you did, sorry about that. Do you have the facilities to draw the diagram of where you think the spotlights are?

Ta,

Gav

Facilities ? .... Like in abilities or software ? .... No, I just learned how to use MS paint and have no idea how to draw a diagram ... But what would a diagram prove ? ... The reflection clearly shows the back of a spotlight .... So it's position should be obvious from the position of the reflection it has created in the visor ... and the fact that is has caused a shadow on the ground shows that it is indeed a solid object and not "smears on the visor" , as has been incorrectly claimed before .

AtomicDog ... Why would three foot lights , being used to illuminate the scene being reflected in the astronauts visor, cast four shadows ? .. Shadows of what ? .... It is usually several overhead lights pointed in the same direction which would cause multiple shadows , not foot lights .

Why would the fact that a light is coming from overhead or underneath determine wheter it casts a shadow or not? If a light is pointed at something, that something casts a shadow.

If those bright spots are footlights then each object in the photo

user posted image

should be casting four shadows - one strong one and three weak ones.

Where are they?

AtomicDog ... The foot lights would not effect the subject being photographed , as in the photo you just posted ... The foot lights are pointed AWAY from the astronaut being photographed , to illuminate the scene being reflected in his visor ( ie: the astronaut taking the picture )

The picture you posted is useless in this discussion , as it is too dark and the visor reflection is too far away .... That's why I posted the close up shot of the high resolution photo , so we could all see the foot light reflections in the visor more clearly .

Here's a link to the full frame

I was trying to keep from posting huge photos. The point I was making with the full frame is that everything in the scene would cast mutliple shadows with multiple lights. There should be multiple shadows all over the place.

If those spots were lights the fact that you see them at all means that they were pointed at Cernan to be reflected back to the camera - else, why have them on at all? The purpose of a light is to illuminate a scene. Otherwise, why bother?

Anyway, straydog, the real question is do you have any evidence that thest bright spots are stage lights and not reflections of equipment on the moon? Some of that stuff is pretty reflective, you know.

Edited by AtomicDog

I watched the motion film of this scene but don't see where the video at all correlates to the still photograph in question .... A problem nasa had with several of their photo shoots ....

Could you be more specific in what you are asking ? ... It's looks to me like his shadow is behind him in the still photo , as it should be with the first spotlight pointed directly at him , causing the pretend sunlight being reflected in his visor .

If you are asking about the second spotlight , facing away from the subject , then your question is meaningless .

Straydog you can't make an assumption that the video is not the same as the picture without providing evidence to prove it. In the video his shadow is going to slightly his front left and not behind him. This is conclusive with the pictures as well

user posted image

As you can see (think about this in perspective of the astronaut) his left hand side isn't lit, his right side is. If he was being lit from the front then he would be evenly lit.

AtomicDog ..... I have studied this photo very carefully to make sure that the lights were nothing else but what they are ... foot lights on a moon set .

The LM and the lunar buggy were directly behind the subject , thus could not be reflecting anything in the visor .... and if you look closely at the light reflections in the visor , you can even make out the entire shape of the foot lights .... They are black and elongated , with the lights pointed upwards ... Therefore causing NO SHADOWS on the objects or ground around them .

Straydog you can't make an assumption that the video is not the same as the picture without providing evidence to prove it. In the video his shadow is going to slightly his front left and not behind him. This is conclusive with the pictures as well

user posted image

As you can see (think about this in perspective of the astronaut) his left hand side isn't lit, his right side is. If he was being lit from the front then he would be evenly lit.

Gavsto ... Regardless of what directions the shadows of the subject may or may not be going in , it is obvious that the spotlight is shining directly at him , as you can see the light reflection in his visor comes from in front of him .... If his shadow does not match where the light is coming from , then that would be just one more anomaly in this photo, among many .

No his shadow is fine, because the light is coming from his right, slightly behind him. You're forgetting that the Apollo EVA helmet is convex

Like so : user posted image

Can we agree that the light is coming from his right?

Gavsto and AtomicDog ..... Why are you both focusing on shadows when what we are looking at are spotlights reflected in the visor that shouldn't be there, if these photos had really been taken on the moon ?

Are these perhaps diversion tactics being used by both of you to get away from the objects that are being reflected in the visor ?

Look at the bank of stage lights being reflected in the right side of the visor .... They are dim , but they can be clearly seen as well .

Then look at the black object at the bottom of the visor .... That is not the shadow of the astronaut being photographed ( as MID tried to claim ) but rather another anomaly which looks very much like the same shape of the other objects reflected in the other photos of this same photo shoot .... It looks like an un-lit foot light , right near subject's feet .

*edited to add .. Yes , the light is shining to his right . ... Does this answer your question about the shadow then ?

Edited by straydog

OK, so we agree the light is coming from his right. Straydog you are trying to claim that there are multiple spotlights on the picture, we are proving to you this is incorrect by analysis of the shadows. There are no diversionary tactics being used.

1) If the 'footlights' are visible in his helmet then the light from the 'footlights' is hitting him and should be casting multiple shadows, yet this isn't the case - do you care to explain why?

2) If you agree the light is coming from his right then can you explain two things for me? What is the back of the spotlighti spotlight lighting and what is lighting the back of the spotlight to make it visible if both lights are facing in opposite directions?

Edited by Gavsto

Gavsto and AtomicDog ..... Why are you both focusing on shadows when what we are looking at are spotlights reflected in the visor that shouldn't be there, if these photos had really been taken on the moon ?

Because lights cause shadows. If there are lights, there must be shadows.

OK, so we agree the light is coming from his right. Straydog you are trying to claim that there are multiple spotlights on the picture, we are proving to you this is incorrect by analysis of the shadows. There are no diversionary tactics being used.

1) If the 'footlights' are visible in his helmet then the light from the 'footlights' is hitting him and should be casting multiple shadows, yet this isn't the case - do you care to explain why?

2) If you agree the light is coming from his right then can you explain two things for me? What is the back of the spotlighti spotlight lighting and what is lighting the back of the spotlight to make it visible if both lights are facing in opposite directions?

I thought I made this clear before ....

1) The foot lights are facing AWAY from the subject being photographed ... Therefore NO SHADOWS would be in the photo of him .... They are also POINTED UPWARDS , which answers AtomicDog's question as to why there are NO SHADOWS on the ground in the visor reflection .

2) The back of spotlight two is seen so clearly because the first spotlight , pointing to the right , front , facing the subject ( representing the sun ) has illuminated it enough to show it's reflection in the visor .... and spotlight two ( the one facing away from the subject ) is shining on the scene that is being reflected in the visor ( the astronaut taking the picture and the surrounding moon set behind him )

1) The foot lights are facing AWAY from the subject being photographed ... Therefore NO SHADOWS would be in the photo of him .... They are also POINTED UPWARDS , which answers AtomicDog's question as to why there are NO SHADOWS on the ground in the visor reflection .

2) The back of spotlight two is seen so clearly because the first spotlight , pointing to the right , front , facing the subject ( representing the sun ) has illuminated it enough to show it's reflection in the visor .... and spotlight two ( the one facing away from the subject ) is shining on the scene that is being reflected in the visor ( the astronaut taking the picture and the surrounding moon set behind him )

So if they are lights needed to illuminate the "stage",

Why aren't they in this photo?

user posted image

Or this one?

user posted image

1) The foot lights are facing AWAY from the subject being photographed ... Therefore NO SHADOWS would be in the photo of him .... They are also POINTED UPWARDS , which answers AtomicDog's question as to why there are NO SHADOWS on the ground in the visor reflection.

If we go on your theory, the fact we can see them is fact that light from them is hitting the visor. The fact that we can see them is fact enough to prove that they are shining at the astronaut.

I'm sorry I can't visualise what you mean. You've said you know paint, so can you draw where these are and upload them

Do you mean draw where they are in the visor reflection or draw where they are on the moon set ? ... I have already circled and pointed to where they are in the visor reflection .

I have no idea where their exact location would be on the set , except for above and to the right of the subject , as you can clearly see from the reflected image.... Spotlight one , facing the subject ( representing the sun ) is obviously further away from spotlight two , which is much closer, judging by the size of it's reflection in the visor .... but I would have no way of knowing the precise distance or height they were positioned away from the subject .

Maybe you could draw a diagram of where the two spotlights are located, by looking at the photo .... Or do you not see them at all , like your friend MID ?

Edited by straydog