Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Altheia

Scientists 'teleport' two photons

12 posts in this topic

Scientists in Germany say they have successfully teleported the combined quantum state of two photons.

That achievement is said to be the first for a composite system, and the researchers say their approach could lead to new ways to harness quantum effects for communication and computational purposes.

A quantum-mechanical system is characterized by a set of properties that can exist in certain possible states. For example, one property of a photon is polarization, the state of which can be horizontal, vertical or a mixture of the two. Quantum teleportation transfers the state -- in this case of the polarization -- of one object to another, which can be an arbitrary distance away.

Teleportation does not transfer energy or matter, the scientists noted.

Teleportation of quantum states involving more than one particle -- as now shown by Qiang Zhang and colleagues in the Physics Institute at the University of Heidelberg -- promise secure information exchange and the ability to solve certain tasks faster than any classical computer.

The authors' experiment lasted several days, but with further improvements they say their process might become of more practical value.

The research is reported in the current issue of the journal Nature Physics.

http://www.physorg.com/news77821847.html

Very interesting indeed. But the descrition "teleportation" is misleading. It is actually "transference" becasue they are transfering the "quality" or "characterisitic" of one particle to a completely different one. It is information, or data, transefer, not actually transporting an object somewhere.

In other words, you can do it to a human, because the person will cease to exist, and at best, there will be a copy of the person created at the termination point of the "teleportation", might even be just a mess of organic material.

But the data transfer and computing posibilities are exciting! Indeed they are on their way to building a stable quantum computer, which will revolutionize the world 100x more than pc's did.

Cool article, thanks!

As John Q says - it's less about Teleportation, and more about information transfer.

No Photons are created or destroyed during this process.

In other words - To teleport Star Trek style, you'd need to create an exact quantum replica of yourself, and then you could (theoretically) use this "Teleportation" technique to sync all of the quanta to the correct state.

It's that first bit that's tricky. If you can do that precisely enough, then there's no need to sync the quanta anyhow.

Edited by Tiggs

As has already been said but in other words what is happening is "state cloning" but keep in mind that the original is actually destroyed :yes: And the information cannot be transfered faster than the speed of light.

As has already been said but in other words what is happening is "state cloning" but keep in mind that the original is actually destroyed :yes: And the information cannot be transfered faster than the speed of light.

Really? Okay. I thought the original photons survived. Apologies.

Beam me up Scotty!

Really? Okay. I thought the original photons survived. Apologies.

Sorry, I may have not made that very clear. The photons are not destroyed, the original states of those photons are destroyed ie. changed by the cloning. My bad. :tu:

Must beat Germans to it.......... :ph34r:

Unlike some of you may think, this actualy IS teleportation. "True" teleportation if you want to call it as such. And i will explain why when i post again tomorow. Scientists do not mislead poeple. Why would we do that? :)

As for the teleportation business... believe it or not this is relatively old news. I believe the first teleportation was preformed about 20+ years ago. This was a single photon ofc. This is an advancement of the same process, but with more complicated and hard-to-manage circumstances.

I can explain a rough intuitive picture of how the teleportation works too, because belive it or not, it is instant (not limited by the speed of light), yet it does not contradict einstein's laws. It all has to do with the fact that unlike popular belief, our universe is nonlocal, which was shown EMPIRICALY (that's right, with an experiment, not just words and calculations ;-)) about 40 years ago. Nonlocality is a truely remarkable property of our physical reality.

I just wanted to give a preview of what my post will be. Come here again tomorow and ill clarify all the stuff I just brushed off with a few fancy sentences. And you'll see our universe is truely magnificant... including teleportation ofc. ;-)

That should be interesting, can't wait for your proof with references. Just love reading scientific journals :D

I can explain a rough intuitive picture of how the teleportation works too, because belive it or not, it is instant (not limited by the speed of light), yet it does not contradict einstein's laws. It all has to do with the fact that unlike popular belief, our universe is nonlocal, which was shown EMPIRICALY (that's right, with an experiment, not just words and calculations ;-)) about 40 years ago. Nonlocality is a truely remarkable property of our physical reality.
Ummm, 40 years ago, all we had was Bell's Inequality Theorem - no EMPIRICAL experiment. It wasn't until Alan Aspects 80's experiment (some 20 years ago BTW) that empirical proof surfaced regarding inequality. BTW, all this proved was there were no local hidden variables. ie. conclusion from Bell's Inequality theorem "No physical theory of local hidden variables can ever reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics." The issue of locality vs non-locality is still hotly debated among physicists from what I have seen on physics forums. Just wandering though, what sort of scientist are you?

I've already got the pop-corn ready ;)

Oh, just want to add, no one is implying that scientists are lying, they just use the word "teleportation" in a different sense than everyone is used to. Unfortunately those not in the know tend to sensationalise the effect/results. :hmm:

Cheers

Edited by ai_guardian

oh goody! someone who actualy cares! :D

Ill be sure to make it as good as I can. But before you get too excited, Im not gonna lie to you, Im not a scientist. Not quite yet anyways. Im merely a second year physics student with interests... So ive got a long way to go really... But ill give it my best shot anyways :P I was sure it was in 1960'something for some reason, but now that i think of it, it does sound rather early... im not very good with names/dates, ull have to forgive me, now, and probably again soon enough :)

And I wouldnt count too much on references... this is just what ive put together in my head over the years of reading, probably not the most accurate or 'actualy true' thing in the world, just me waisting some spare time on a forum when i should be doing homework instead :P

And I dont know what your background is exactly... it could very possibly be richer than mine, i dont know :P

Edited by SpeedOfDark

No probs, still looking forward to a good read though. :tu:

Cheers