Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Underwater footage of cryptids was filmed by

Lionel

user posted image

It was in the Autumn of 2000 when former expedition member Erik Knatterud was offered to see two films taken by different divers and which was said to show unknown animals in Norwegian freshwater lakes. The offer was never carried out and GUST has been unable to verify the story.

The man behind the offer has been promised full anonymity and not even GUST knows his name. However, we trust that the story is true, because our former expedition member Erik Knatterud is a man that can be trusted. He is serious, knowledgeable and has never been known to tell an untrue story.

The background to the first film footage was that it had been shot somewhere in the Province of Telemark, but not in Lake Seljordsvatnet, by two men who were either employed by the town council or hired by them, who had gone down to film a broken water pipe that was later going to be repaired.

Such water pipes are at a maximum depth of 100 feet, which is also a common working depth for Scandinavian divers.

Remote Operated Vehicle

The men used a so called ROV (Remote Operated Vehicle). This underwater technology consists of a larger, cable-controlled underwater camera with built-in searchlights, sonar and equipped with one or several TV cameras.

The divers was busy examining the damages on the water pipe when a strange animal came swimming towards them. It was neither a fish nor any other animal they had ever seen and the two men hastily backed off. Fortunately they had the presence of mind to film it as long as it was visible and than they surfaced very quickly.

According to the anonymous deep throat the film was later handed over to a known university in Oslo, the capitol of Norway, where it was shown to a group of scientists. None of them could identify it and the film was put in a film-library and forgotten.

Full Story

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepsychoticseaotter

• Lionel

• Engulf

• Moonfairie

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if only we could view the footage sad.gif

Note: I was about to say "it's so fake!" when I first saw the picture above,glad it has nothing to do with the story though. grin2.gif

I'm so disappointed that the footage are no way to be fond ! sad.gif

But that's an interesting story.

Cool stuff. But yer right, why cant we see the footage? hmmmm. ... I know! Because it wouldnt be an unexplained mystery anymore would it? whistling2.gif

It would be nice to see the footage, but I can never see that happening, not anytime soon at any rate.

And anyway it seems too good to be true, for someone to have filmed a cryptid in any detail.

Wow, i'd really like to see the footage. too bad its not available. are there any discriptions of the cryptid. is it the tipical loch ness monster or something new?

This always drives ya nuts. People spend years trying to prove something unexplained actuary exists, and when they get the proof someone else suppress it! dontgetit.gif

To me it seems that if something doesn't fit into the mainstream scientific view this always happens....

I'd love to see that video.